No Visa options for the ones who are young and have money?

You're missing the point although you are speaking the truth.

These clowns don't want to start a biz or get married in Thailand. They just want a cheap cost of living so they can peddle their wares online. So they contribute their food and accommodation expenses but that's about it.

They believe the World owes them a living that's the whole point my friend.

Visa lawyers are two a penny will they speak to them - no.

Someone who is making their own way in the world, earning a living online through a business they built from scratch, working as their own boss and not employed by anyone, mostly through skills that were self taught.....believes the world owes them a living?

You didn't think that one through did you?

Only a "clown" would start a business in Thailand or get married. Or say what you just said.

Are you serious, i see the opposite, and wonder why young kids come here, and have to pay for sex,they are everywhere, lots more than 2 years ago.They are deluded too, think they can get for free, then have a big shock

I know a lot of guys under the age of 35 in Thailand.

A good percentage of them don't even deal with Thai women as they don't have an interest in them instead sticking to picking up the young farang tourists that pass through town.

The rest don't go near bars with women for sale or have any interest in hookers. 

• Replies 531
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

These clowns don't want to start a biz or get married in Thailand. They just want a cheap cost of living so they can peddle their wares online. So they contribute their food and accommodation expenses but that's about it.

Someone who is making their own way in the world, earning a living online through a business they built from scratch, working as their own boss and not employed by anyone, mostly through skills that were self taught.....believes the world owes them a living?

Only a "clown" would start a business in Thailand or get married. Or say what you just said.

Are you serious, i see the opposite, and wonder why young kids come here, and have to pay for sex,they are everywhere, lots more than 2 years ago.They are deluded too, think they can get for free, then have a big shock

A good percentage of them don't even deal with Thai women as they don't have an interest in them instead sticking to picking up the young farang tourists that pass through town.

The rest don't go near bars with women for sale or have any interest in hookers. 

If your biz is registered anywhere in the World you can open a Representative Office in Thailand and get a non-imm visa.

But most of you guys don't want to pay tax or understand corporate regulation.

This thread has nothing to do with the morals of prostitution whichever way you want to slice it.

• Like 1

corporate welfare is a very common failing in business

What is your point?  That the the US welcomes Thais with means and intent to visit?  Your fictional Issan farmer with no income and enough cash to travel to the US clearly isn't applying because the US rejected only 11% of apps last year compared to 60% from Cambodia  The majority of rejections were probably lovestuck guys trying get visas for Thai gfs who had no financial ties to Thailand. 

thanks you just made my point. they have income and a working farm to go home to and the means to travel is covered. but they are rejected out of hand.

I am replying to this thread because I was in a similar situation to the OP and spent 2009 and 10 in SE Asia primarily in Thailand on tourist Visa's, I spent on average 80k baht per month which was about 10x what the average Thai spends.  All of my spending was on food, lodging, and services all $ coming from the US and staying in Thailand.  This type of tourist spending brings much greater benefit than Chinese who by foreign brands at duty-free shops and bring goods out of the country.  

Most countries would welcome these types of visitors for as long as they wanted to stay.  I don't understand all the hatred against people who choose to live this lifestyle and I believe that the number of people doing this and their contribution to the Thai economy is underestimated.   

Every thousand people spending 1M baht per year in Thailand is generating 1B  baht in annual inflow.  If 100k living this lifestyle take their money elsewhere that is 100B baht/year or $3+B or nearly 1% of Thai GDP.   Additionally these people act as tourist ambassadors for Thailand encouraging friends to come visit them bringing more money to Thailand.  In fact a friends recommendation is what brought me to Thailand for the first time back in 2002.  

If TV posters are representative of the type of foreigners left then I expect Thailand's appeal to diminish further.   Thailand won't be on the itinerary of my upcoming Asia Pacific trip partially because I've spent a lot of time there and it's less interesting but primarily due to the unwelcoming vibe and uncertainty over problems with immigration about the amount of time I had previously spent in Thailand.  

Again RUBBISH RUBBISH. Thai bureau of stats estimate between 400 to 500,000 expats living here. Meaning farang.
Last year 2013. 26,000,000 tourists visited Thailand 1.7 million Chinese alone.
Also you say most countries would welcome people to come live in their country. WHICH COUNTRIES. Try Australia, USA etc. Good luck buddy. The thai economy will be fine without the 0P 0ne mill baht per year, and all the others staying here without appropriate visa. Go home!

I don't understand your anger and xenophobia.  The US makes it easy for tourists, you get a six month tourist visa when you come  and can extend it by six months without leaving the country.  After one year the tourist does have to leave the US but if they could prove they spent 6x the average gdp on their stay they could go home and and get another visa no problem.  

The tourist numbers are inflated by the expats living as each one is counted 5x per year and the Chinese don't stay long and

jdon't leave much money in the country.  The numbers are down this year and pushing out good spenders isn't going to help.
You on drugs????? Australian citizens can get a 90 day visa to USA. Thai chicks zero. America has one of the most protected borders in the world. I have no problem with that. Mind you it does not rate on worlds richest countries per capital. That's another topic.

a few of my thai friends (female) have 10 year US multiple entry visitor visas. they said they were easy to get
  • Like 1

If your biz is registered anywhere in the World you can open a Representative Office in Thailand and get a non-imm visa.

Digital NOMAD.

Remind me whilst someone who is young, free, location independent and has a taste for adventure would want to open an office anywhere?

They tend to be one man and his laptop so having an office just isn't necessary.

Most guys with online businesses are paying tax in their home country even though they don't spend much time there. It's a bit silly to expect them to pay it in Thailand too when they don't plan to settle there and like to move around.

Not to mention the fact Thailand doesn't even understand that people can make money on the internet and seems to assume all young people spending long periods of time in Thailand must be working illegally as a teacher or something.

Digital NOMAD.

Remind me whilst someone who is young, free, location independent and has a taste for adventure would want to open an office anywhere?

They tend to be one man and his laptop so having an office just isn't necessary.

Most guys with online businesses are paying tax in their home country even though they don't spend much time there. It's a bit silly to expect them to pay it in Thailand too when they don't plan to settle there and like to move around.

Not to mention the fact Thailand doesn't even understand that people can make money on the internet and seems to assume all young people spending long periods of time in Thailand must be working illegally as a teacher or something.

spare us your assumptions of what thailand does and does not understand. and feel free to supply the tax records of "most guys"

Digital NOMAD.

DIGITAL NUMBSKULL

If you want a long stay visa you need a company or Elite Card. You don't have to pay tax in Thailand because most countries have reciprocal tax agreements.

You can open a Representative Office from a tin shed and you don't need Thai staff. Although you will find Thai tax rates are very favorable and a Thai Company only costs about $500 to open with annual accountancy fees of about 12k baht.

Again.....

Digital NOMAD.

It's clear to see so many just don't get it.

The majority of guys I know with online income streams do not want to be tied down to one place, don't want an office or staff, have no plans to spend the rest of their lives in Thailand and move around often to travel or 'live' in new places for a few months at a time.

They enjoy the freedom and the simplicity of it all. 

Asking them to pay tax, set up offices and all sorts of other things in a country that they don't live in, seemingly aren't wanted in, and that would give them little benefit from doing so just isn't appealing to them.

Now I'm not saying that Thailand owes digital nomads a long term visa option. It's up to them what they do and who they want.

But logic dictates that if someone can support themselves and has regular income, is not taking away jobs from locals, isn't any sort of drain on Thailand (like old and sick people can be), doesn't cause any trouble, spends money in the country without taking anything out, doesn't claim any sort of benefits etc then it's not wise to chase them out or make it difficult for them to be in the country.

But then logic and Thailand aren't known to go together and it is their country after all so they are free to do as they please.

Edited by TheSpade

So I guess one has to consider that maybe the lifestyle and business practices of someone being described as a 'digital nomad' is one that the Thai officialdom has deemed to one of little economic upside to Thailand and possibly one with a significant social downside such they feel no way compelled to offer visa/immigration inducements for such persons to remain long-term in Thailand.

Maybe there should be a Paypal Visa?

I do understand that the people younger than 50 that have stayed here for years on visa run are upset.

We talk about them like they are criminals, like they've misused the law, but they have never done that - they have never overstayed.

They just went to the border to get a new entry and the law allowed them to do that.

If somebody is to blame it are the Thai authorities that have probably intentionally created this loophole in the rules from the beginning.

Anyway, I think there are enough options left for the group to stay here.

Learning Thai is very useful, and they also use Thai outside BKK and Pattaya. 555

You can still get tourist visas.

And there's the elite card.

Edited by kriswillems

I do understand that the people younger than 50 that have stayed here for years on visa run are upset.

We talk about them like they are criminals, like they've misused the law, but they have never done that - they have never overstayed.

They just went to the border to get a new entry and the law allowed them to do that.

If somebody is to blame it are the Thai authorities that have probably intentionally created this loophole in the rules from the beginning.

Anyway, I think there are enough options left for the group to stay here.

Learning Thai is very useful, and they also use Thai outside BKK and Pattaya. 555

You can still get tourist visas.

And there's the elite card.

Because instead of being grateful that the thai government looked the other way and allowed them to do visa runs for all those years , altho that was never the intent of the exemption, the crybabies piss and moan when thailand finally begins to shape up their immigration policy!

• Like 1

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Again.....

Digital NOMAD.

The majority of guys I know with online income streams do not want to be tied down to one place, don't want an office or staff, have no plans to spend the rest of their lives in Thailand and move around often to travel or 'live' in new places for a few months at a time.

Asking them to pay tax, set up offices and all sorts of other things in a country that they don't live in, seemingly aren't wanted in, and that would give them little benefit from doing so just isn't appealing to them.

Now I'm not saying that Thailand owes digital nomads a long term visa option. It's up to them what they do and who they want.

But logic dictates that if someone can support themselves and has regular income, is not taking away jobs from locals, isn't any sort of drain on Thailand (like old and sick people can be), doesn't cause any trouble, spends money in the country without taking anything out, doesn't claim any sort of benefits etc then it's not wise to chase them out or make it difficult for them to be in the country.

But then logic and Thailand aren't known to go together and it is their country after all so they are free to do as they please.

Deleted by poster

Edited by chrisinth

From post #401 above:

Maybe the crux of the argument is missing: Thailand maybe has deemed that persons such as described in the above paragraph, regardless of the economic considerations, are socially undesirable else logic might very well dictate as above.

• Like 2

From post #401 above:

Maybe the crux of the argument is missing: Thailand maybe has deemed that persons such as described in the above paragraph, regardless of the economic considerations, are socially undesirable else logic might very well dictate as above.

surely you are not suggesting that asians are as capable of knowing whats best for their country as well as anglo-saxons do?? Rudyard Kipling will be rolling in his grave!!

Again.....

Digital NOMAD.

Spending money to feed yourself,big deal,i am sure Thailand is grateful.How about payiny for the upkeep of the country you are using,ie,tax.
  • Like 1

The OP maybe charmless and worthy or criticism, but he makes some salient points. Points that I think are worth thinking about - beyond criticism of some perceived arrogance. 

To Thailand’s credit it has managed to avoid or at least reverse from numerous proposed blunders. It came close to joining the axis powers in WW2. It nearly banned backpackers a decade ago. And despite the odd hair brained policy and occasional lack of vision, it’s managed to develop a much better environment than so many countries, of a similar stature and history. 

It’s unique and subtle blend of leadership, has foiled invaders, colonists and even world wars. And generally speaking the whole country has made steady progress.     

But governments like people, preside over some errors and failures. We should expect that.  

Hong Kong went into full official panic mode during SARS - when the data showed that less people died from respiratory complications than at normal times. Surgical masks became the big thing - no one realised that they are not designed to protect the wearer and have an effective life of only a few hours. 

Australia has amongst the highest (2nd or 3rd) number of people on prescribed anti-depressants in the world, proving that money does’t make you happy - but it might make you make fat, as it leads the world in the growth of obesity. Texans will be furious.   

The UK has gifted billions of pounds to its insolvent banks, whilst levying a “bedroom tax” on it’s most vulnerable and impoverished. Austerity policies have somehow managed to double the nations debt in the last few years alone. Now they are going to sanction Russia. Clever, particularly in few of the fact that repercussive sanctions will hurt their economy more. You couldn’t make this stuff up. 

The main income for the Philippines for decades has been workers, who go abroad and send money home. That’s how well they manage their economy. The best thing a Filipino can do for his country is to get out.   

Indonesia once attempted to invade Malaysia. So botched was the attempt that the Malaysians actually had to rescue the Indonesians, as their beach head was swamped by an incoming tide. 

Germany once decided that’d it be a good idea to attack Russia - in the the winter. 

Cambodia thought it’d be a good idea to murder all people who are literate. That was the law. But a decreasing number of people could read it. 

Malaysia is always on the cusp of banning yoga, night clubs and consensual relations between adults. Cool. 

And as for the US, with the worlds highest percentage of its own citizens in prison and being in a perpetual state of war, one doesn’t know, which blunder to cite first. Apparently its all because of terrorism, the fact that more people die of peanut allergies and you’re eight time more likely to be killed by a policeman than a terrorists, hasn't yet factored into leadership calculations. 

And it goes on and on…

In comparison to many countries Thailand has done remarkably well. 

But the Thai leadership is now confronted with an immediate  PR catastrophe. International news items are occurring with regularity that paint the country in less than a favourable light. 

International investment is “on hold” and thus the velocity of money in the local economy is slowing dramatically. Tens of thousands now drift toward poverty. 

Will they manage to avoid and or reverse out of a head long collision with a spectacular economic down turn? I truly hope so. But banning full moon parties, video games and free speech might not be helpful. And making it more difficult for the most loyal and enthusiastic long term visitors to be here, may not be the answer. 

As for the Elite Card, my guess is that more lip stick isn’t going to make this pig prettier, especially given the fact that it needs to fly. If anything I pray the international press don’t chose to make a story out of this carbuncle. Well traveled expats are aware that one can acquire passports for similar amounts of money from many countries. You can work, buy land and live there - and you won’t have to report like a criminal on probation. This thing should be taken out back and strangled. Quietly. 

Dispassionately, considering the OP’s remarks as just commercial feed back may serve to enlighten decision markers - or it may serve strengthen their resolve to stay the course. 

The present administration rescued the country from a toxic oligarchical mess and clearly have good intentions. I’m sure all posters, or at least most of us, can agree on one thing. We wish them the very best of luck, vision and fortitude.

• Like 2

Again.....

Digital NOMAD.

does your home country make them welcome?

The OP maybe charmless and worthy or criticism, but he makes some salient points. Points that I think are worth thinking about - beyond criticism of some perceived arrogance. 

To Thailand’s credit it has managed to avoid or at least reverse from numerous proposed blunders. It came close to joining the axis powers in WW2. It nearly banned backpackers a decade ago. And despite the odd hair brained policy and occasional lack of vision, it’s managed to develop a much better environment than so many countries, of a similar stature and history. 

It’s unique and subtle blend of leadership, has foiled invaders, colonists and even world wars. And generally speaking the whole country has made steady progress.     

But governments like people, preside over some errors and failures. We should expect that.  

Hong Kong went into full official panic mode during SARS - when the data showed that less people died from respiratory complications than at normal times. Surgical masks became the big thing - no one realised that they are not designed to protect the wearer and have an effective life of only a few hours. 

Australia has amongst the highest (2nd or 3rd) number of people on prescribed anti-depressants in the world, proving that money does’t make you happy - but it might make you make fat, as it leads the world in the growth of obesity. Texans will be furious.   

The UK has gifted billions of pounds to its insolvent banks, whilst levying a “bedroom tax” on it’s most vulnerable and impoverished. Austerity policies have somehow managed to double the nations debt in the last few years alone. Now they are going to sanction Russia. Clever, particularly in few of the fact that repercussive sanctions will hurt their economy more. You couldn’t make this stuff up. 

The main income for the Philippines for decades has been workers, who go abroad and send money home. That’s how well they manage their economy. The best thing a Filipino can do for his country is to get out.   

Indonesia once attempted to invade Malaysia. So botched was the attempt that the Malaysians actually had to rescue the Indonesians, as their beach head was swamped by an incoming tide. 

Germany once decided that’d it be a good idea to attack Russia - in the the winter. 

Cambodia thought it’d be a good idea to murder all people who are literate. That was the law. But a decreasing number of people could read it. 

Malaysia is always on the cusp of banning yoga, night clubs and consensual relations between adults. Cool. 

And as for the US, with the worlds highest percentage of its own citizens in prison and being in a perpetual state of war, one doesn’t know, which blunder to cite first. Apparently its all because of terrorism, the fact that more people die of peanut allergies and you’re eight time more likely to be killed by a policeman than a terrorists, hasn't yet factored into leadership calculations. 

And it goes on and on…

But the Thai leadership is now confronted with an immediate  PR catastrophe. International news items are occurring with regularity that paint the country in less than a favourable light. 

International investment is “on hold” and thus the velocity of money in the local economy is slowing dramatically. Tens of thousands now drift toward poverty. 

Will they manage to avoid and or reverse out of a head long collision with a spectacular economic down turn? I truly hope so. But banning full moon parties, video games and free speech might not be helpful. And making it more difficult for the most loyal and enthusiastic long term visitors to be here, may not be the answer. 

As for the Elite Card, my guess is that more lip stick isn’t going to make this pig prettier, especially given the fact that it needs to fly. If anything I pray the international press don’t chose to make a story out of this carbuncle. Well traveled expats are aware that one can acquire passports for similar amounts of money from many countries. You can work, buy land and live there - and you won’t have to report like a criminal on probation. This thing should be taken out back and strangled. Quietly. 

Dispassionately, considering the OP’s remarks as just commercial feed back may serve to enlighten decision markers - or it may serve strengthen their resolve to stay the course. 

The present administration rescued the country from a toxic oligarchical mess and clearly have good intentions. I’m sure all posters, or at least most of us, can agree on one thing. We wish them the very best of luck, vision and fortitude.

so where are these countries that offer passports for about 14,000 dollars?

• Like 1

And it goes on and on…

so where are these countries that offer passports for about 14,000 dollars?

JLCrab is annoying me right now with his sensible, measured comments. I'd really like to argue in favour of freelancers, but this guy is just being too darn reasonable in his opposition. Stop it at once tongue.png

Fortunately AYJAYDEE is available to play the antagonistic Mr Hyde to JLCrab's sensible Dr Jekyll.

AYJAYDEE, the immigration policies of your home country don't matter in the slightest, unless you happen to hail from a country with exactly the same economic circumstances as Thailand. It's probably safe to say that most of the posters here are from developed western nations, which naturally have more stringent rules for long term stays. You can compare apples and oranges if you want, but it's not a valid argument - if it was, you'd also be arguing against the availability of visas for retirement (does your home country offer a retirement visa to anyone over 50 with a modest pension?). This debate is about Thailand, and the only sensible way to frame the debate is with reference to past, present and potential Thai immigration policies.

The fact is that Thailand cheerfully tolerated freelancers for many years (I'm including everything from copywriters to web designers to semi-retired authors like me in this definition), most likely because these grey economy workers brought a net benefit to the economy at very little cost. Even the poorest beach bum who scrapes a living writing web copy at $5 a page earns - and spends - much more than the average Thai, and most individual westerners would struggle to support themselves on much less than the average income of an entire Thai household (~25,000 baht per month as of 2013). Personally, I earn the equivalent of maybe 7 or 8 average Thai households each month, and when I'm in Thailand I spend it all in country. That's a direct, no-strings-attached injection of capital from overseas.

The point I'm making - and I'm well aware that this sounds so painfully arrogant that there'll be an echo as the words escape from my own rear end - is why wouldn't Thailand want people like me? Why wouldn't any country clamour to welcome a law abiding long term visitor who brings with him the economic benefit of several families' earnings, but without the associated social costs of several families? In purely economic terms I'm all upside (though it's worth pointing out that I don't actually live or work in Thailand; I only visit 5 or 6 months a year). As arrogant as it sounds I'm a catch for the Thai economy, and if the world worked according to cold logic I'd be offered a lifetime unconditional visa at the border (though I won't hold my breath).

The answer is either: 

1) The authorities really didn't consider this particular group when they decided to make staying in Thailand more challenging, and ousting them is an unintended and undesirable consequence, or;

2) They did consider them, and either don't know or don't care how much free money they inject into the economy, or;

3) As JLCrab suggested, there's some unknown social factor that makes freelancers an undesirable group.

Of course the authorities can do what they please and no amount of whining will have the slightest effect on national policy, but I think it's important, if only to counter the annoyingly smug retiree crowd who love to lecture on the subject, to point out that freelancers are a positive force for the Thai economy, and are really no different from the retirees themselves but for the fact that there isn't a dedicated visa category for such people. If freelancers sound like 'crybabies', as AYJAYDEE put it, when they complain that the world doesn't bend over to suit their needs, it's only because they know that it did once bend. It's sad to see a good thing come to an end, especially when you know that nobody will benefit from what comes next. 

because they dont think youre worth the trouble involved in having you live permanently in their country. and with your arrogant me me me attitude I cant say as I blame them. and they didnt bend to your needs pal. dont give yourself any credit that thailand was lax with everyone right down to the low life druggie in the gutter. you were just one of the herd that happened to have an occupation. and you got swept out with the same broom that was used to get rid of all the undesirables. live with it.

JLCrab is annoying me right now with his sensible, measured comments. I'd really like to argue in favour of freelancers, but this guy is just being too darn reasonable in his opposition. Stop it at once tongue.png

Fortunately AYJAYDEE is available to play the antagonistic Mr Hyde to JLCrab's sensible Dr Jekyll.

AYJAYDEE, the immigration policies of your home country don't matter in the slightest, unless you happen to hail from a country with exactly the same economic circumstances as Thailand. It's probably safe to say that most of the posters here are from developed western nations, which naturally have more stringent rules for long term stays. You can compare apples and oranges if you want, but it's not a valid argument - if it was, you'd also be arguing against the availability of visas for retirement (does your home country offer a retirement visa to anyone over 50 with a modest pension?). This debate is about Thailand, and the only sensible way to frame the debate is with reference to past, present and potential Thai immigration policies.

The fact is that Thailand cheerfully tolerated freelancers for many years (I'm including everything from copywriters to web designers to semi-retired authors like me in this definition), most likely because these grey economy workers brought a net benefit to the economy at very little cost. Even the poorest beach bum who scrapes a living writing web copy at $5 a page earns - and spends - much more than the average Thai, and most individual westerners would struggle to support themselves on much less than the average income of an entire Thai household (~25,000 baht per month as of 2013). Personally, I earn the equivalent of maybe 7 or 8 average Thai households each month, and when I'm in Thailand I spend it all in country. That's a direct, no-strings-attached injection of capital from overseas.

The point I'm making - and I'm well aware that this sounds so painfully arrogant that there'll be an echo as the words escape from my own rear end - is why wouldn't Thailand want people like me? Why wouldn't any country clamour to welcome a law abiding long term visitor who brings with him the economic benefit of several families' earnings, but without the associated social costs of several families? In purely economic terms I'm all upside (though it's worth pointing out that I don't actually live or work in Thailand; I only visit 5 or 6 months a year). As arrogant as it sounds I'm a catch for the Thai economy, and if the world worked according to cold logic I'd be offered a lifetime unconditional visa at the border (though I won't hold my breath).

The answer is either: 

1) The authorities really didn't consider this particular group when they decided to make staying in Thailand more challenging, and ousting them is an unintended and undesirable consequence, or;

2) They did consider them, and either don't know or don't care how much free money they inject into the economy, or;

3) As JLCrab suggested, there's some unknown social factor that makes freelancers an undesirable group.

Of course the authorities can do what they please and no amount of whining will have the slightest effect on national policy, but I think it's important, if only to counter the annoyingly smug retiree crowd who love to lecture on the subject, to point out that freelancers are a positive force for the Thai economy, and are really no different from the retirees themselves but for the fact that there isn't a dedicated visa category for such people. If freelancers sound like 'crybabies', as AYJAYDEE put it, when they complain that the world doesn't bend over to suit their needs, it's only because they know that it did once bend. It's sad to see a good thing come to an end, especially when you know that nobody will benefit from what comes next. 

Everyone that spends money in Thailand is a bonus to the Thai economy...might be small or large..depending on each case.

As you say it's apples to oranges to what happens in our home countries.& Thailand.

& it's also apples to oranges to comparing a retirement extension to a under 50 that has money group....but there is no such visa for this group if you don't want or can't afford the elite card.

Is one group better than the other?..offers more to Thailand ?

Doesn't really matter but people can debate this all day & night.

If I would venture a guess..the retiree group is larger..

The under 50 group...that have money from back home or working online...do have options.

One is the elite card...meaning you have to have put money upfront to stay here...

For Thailand to have a visa extension for the under 50 with money..might be a possibility..in the future but not now as it stands.( except for the elite card)

If you are making money online..it might not be a guarantee..you make so much this month & next month maybe little..

With a pension it's usually a set amount per month & again someone can be retired & over 50 but they don't have a pension..so they are not eligible if they don't have income from other sources.

I still think if you have money to support yourself while in Thailand you will be able to continue getting tourist visas...but again that might be on a case per case situation so one has to prove to Thai immigration they have the money.

This "good thing" as you called it coming to an end is probably due to people "overstaying" &/or working illegally/selling drugs etc..causing problems by a few that affects others.

Blaming Thailand or the retiree group is not the cause of this new change.

Edited by iphad

Sortapundit: Re 3) As JLCrab suggested, there's some unknown social factor that makes freelancers an undesirable group.

I have my guesses as to why this may be so but I have no desire to be a punching bag anymore than I already am.

• Like 1