Obtaining health insurance for newly arrived retiree in Chiang Mai

vitp4145

Hi all,

In a few days I will arrive in Chiang Mai to start what will hopefully be a long - and hopefully glorious - retirement. I'm 58 and fairly fit. However, it seems prudent to be insured against accident/illness. Does anyone have any recommendations as regards local insurance vs global insurance companies?

Many thanks for any assistance here.

If you can carry some coverage with your previous employer that would be great. Bupa is good short term but peters out over the long haul unless you buy their premium package which can get pricey and their coverage ceases altogether after age 70. Government hospitals are cheap and maybe consider paying out of pocket. I have heard a rumor in the wind that the government was looking at some sort of coverage for expats with a higher premium than the short lived program last year. The premium was really low at 2800 bahts per year and I think the government finally figured this out.

If you can carry some coverage with your previous employer that would be great. Bupa is good short term but peters out over the long haul unless you buy their premium package which can get pricey and their coverage ceases altogether after age 70. Government hospitals are cheap and maybe consider paying out of pocket. I have heard a rumor in the wind that the government was looking at some sort of coverage for expats with a higher premium than the short lived program last year. The premium was really low at 2800 bahts per year and I think the government finally figured this out.

Not correct.

• Like 2

Not correct.

I have BUPA and it lasts for my life term, it does not finish at age 70. This is also the case for a friend of mine who also has BUPA. I would suggest that you call them to discuss a policy that is relevant to your needs.

BUPA premiums do increase with age for sure but that's the same for most other companies cover.  BUPA is also worldwide (except USA) so it's handy if you are going to travel. I was taken ill in the Philippines and BUPA paid the total bill with no problems.  As far as I am aware there are no Thai government schemes for foreigners. If you can find one please let me know.

As far as I am aware there are no Thai government schemes for foreigners. If you can find one please let me know.

This is basically correct, though there are a couple of caveats.

1.  A westerner married to a Thai civil servant will be covered by the public insurance scheme for civil servants (as I think are parents of civil servants).

2.  There is a migrant worker scheme for workers from Laos, Cambodia and Burma, and some westerners were (rightly or wrongly) allowed to join. This is the scheme with the annual premium of B2800.  Coverage has now been ended for most expats who joined, although it seems that some remain covered until their present year of membership runs out.

The last Public Health Minister was in favour of extending coverage to all residents of Thailand, and there was discussion of a new scheme for long term foreign residents, separate from the migrant workers scheme.  Unfortunately the political turmoil seems to have derailed that plan, and my sense is that the conservative faction now calling the shots in the MoPH is not keen to bring this back. My guess is that the best hope of change will come as more steps are taken to support the AEC.  That might open up further discussions about the situation of other categories of foreigners beside those from the three neighbouring countries.

Edited by citizen33
  • Like 2

As you are still under sixty, and assuming you have no pre-existing health issues that must be declared on the policy, premiums are by-and-large affordable, assuming you have a pension pot to pay for it. If you have ongoing health issues and/or as you pass sixty, your premiums will soar. In that case, if you find them excessive, then it is time to consider putting money aside against any emergency on an ad hoc basis, unless the Thai government comes up with an affordable policy aimed at expat retirees.

Not correct.

Yes, as I recall, you need to start coverage before a certain age (60??) and then not let your coverage lapse, but then you won't be dropped solely because of age.

"Health" insurance is somewhat of a misnomer though. It's basically hospital insurance. You can get out-patient coverage as an add-on, but in most cases you won't be able to claim more for OP care costs than you pay for the extra premium, so it's not really worth it for anyone (aside from the insurance company)

Only your Thai wife can have  BUPA Thailand policy,but you can be included along with any children. You are covered for life if your wife's policy is taken out before your 60th birthday.

Not correct. I am an unmaried farang and I have, and have had for 12 years now a BUPA Thailand policy.

Also AIA is expanding in Thailand now. I looked at their rates and they seem to be quite reasonable. 54 years old, about 60K per year for a 2 million baht plan.

At first I thought they were a Thai company, but after doing some checking they are supposedly the 4th largest health / life insurer in the world.

They have 2 large office towers in Bangkok.

Edited by NoBrainer

Everyone is suggesting BUPA, but they are expensive and have a lot of restrictions, they also refused treatment  occasionally , we almost chose them. Instead we went with Thai Life Insurance, they sell medical insurance. Hospital care only, will cover you till you are 90, cannot refuse treatment, and cover pre-existing conditions. My wife is 65 am 62 we paid 3,000 US for 1 year coverage. Everything else is cheap to pay out of pocket, like blood tests, Dr. Opp. ex-ray, pharmacy, ENT Opp's,  Contact them in the daytime so that you can find someone whom speaks english.  Good Luck. Patrick

• Like 1

Any recommended companies/plans for someone having just turned 66? I have a plan in my home country but it doesn't cover me out of the country. I currently have a 1 year travelers health insurance policy. I'm looking to pay about 3000 USD per year.

Thanks in advance for any replies.

I had BUPA while employed but their pre existing conditions ran the cost so far up as to be silly to buy it.  Also, when I went to buy it anyway, I had only "stroke" coverage available whereas ALL the other possible ailments a person can have were disallowed.  Accident insurance same.

I self finance.  My total pay at Bumrungrad equals my CO-pay in USA.cheesy.gif

This is a predicament I have been trying to solve for about 6 years of my 9 Years here.

At first I never thought about it.

Now still undecided if I want to pay the 100 k plus premiums per annum I remain without health cover in Thailand.

Being an Australian with War Veteran status if I can get back to Australia then ill I'll be ok as the Dept of Veteran Affairs will meet the hospital/doctor check bin.

Not so for those on Australian govt medicare. When I get my extension of stay (for retirement) each year I also buy a multi re-entry permit at 3800 Baht (?) so if I need to rush off at least I don't have to mess with that part of the procedure. I also took out several of those Bank life assurance plans where for example...u pay for 7 years but get cover for 15 years and then they give your dosh back.

I keep getting them as the non payment period comes up but have yet to discover whether they pay back your dosh or the insurance in a given circumstance. For those with larger incomes I don't recommend this process but for one with limited means its a way to protect oneself from being a pauper, maybe and that could be a good thing for your Thai spouse.

Regards

I took BUPA many years ago, and when moving to Thailand stayed with the UK company that will not stop worldwide (excluding-USA) cover, whereas the Thai  BUPA company indeed leaves you on your own at 70 or 75 as mentioned earlier. (UK has slightly higher premium though I believe.)

Anybody have experience if Thai-life, that was mentioned as an alternative, is indeed no-problems in case of hospitalisation?

World Nomads Travel Insurance is different than the others in that it does not decide that if you are more than 90 days in ONE country you are living there ... of course you must tell them that you are not residing in one place 'permanently' ( thus you can say youve been  in CM , Samui , Bkk  and Phuket ) over a year , and  you can even include visa runs or holidays as further proof you are 'travelling'. ( It costs much more if your world wide travel is to include  Canada , the US and/or Japan )

You just have to be adamant you arent "Living" overseas.

The rate is about $700 US a year and they covered my hospitalization ( 200,000 baht ) without question.

You need an address back home , and they were keen to 'repatriate' me as my country has a free health system back there.

But you can also renew the policy on line and while 'travelling'.

Not correct.

I have BUPA and it lasts for my life term, it does not finish at age 70. This is also the case for a friend of mine who also has BUPA. I would suggest that you call them to discuss a policy that is relevant to your needs.

BUPA premiums do increase with age for sure but that's the same for most other companies cover.  BUPA is also worldwide (except USA) so it's handy if you are going to travel. I was taken ill in the Philippines and BUPA paid the total bill with no problems.  As far as I am aware there are no Thai government schemes for foreigners. If you can find one please let me know.

BUPA Thailand will provide cover for life if you start before age 60. After age 60 but before age 65 they will cover until age 70. At age 65 and over they will not provide cover.

I took BUPA many years ago, and when moving to Thailand stayed with the UK company that will not stop worldwide (excluding-USA) cover, whereas the Thai  BUPA company indeed leaves you on your own at 70 or 75 as mentioned earlier. (UK has slightly higher premium though I believe.)

Anybody have experience if Thai-life, that was mentioned as an alternative, is indeed no-problems in case of hospitalisation?

Where do you get this information from? I have BUPA Thailand and they do not stop your cover untill you die.

There are a number of Thai policies, some good and some less so.  Most however will not provide any cover outside of Thailand so if you are thinking of doing a bit of travelling during your retirement or going back to visit your home country, I would suggest you have a look at an international policy. Many of these also offer better cover at a lower price than the Thai only option.  

You can find a wide range of plans and do a price / benefit comparison here www.worldwidehealthcover.com.