Simple tourist visa questions

One or two problems have been reported at land borders in the south where some immigration officers at some border entry points mistakenly seemed to believe that the guidelines they received about "out-in" border runs also apply to entries with a tourist visa.

Thank you so much for the replies guys, very helpful :)

I guess i'll be booking my flights then, if I go with British Airways it's only £50 to change the return flight and the flight itself is affordable. I will aim for my return fate of 270 days - about 2 weeks depending on when I obviously receieve the visa - does 2 weeks prioer seem wise? Losing that amount seems to be a safe bet.

To the people who have recently obtained their tourist visas - triple or otherwise. How long did it take for you to receive it from sending it? I will be posting to London.

Here's one question though. Say a double entry tourist visa. The person comes into Thailand, no problem. Now, he goes to Cambodia or Laos towards the end of the first entry (first part of the stay). He stays in Laos or Cambodia for just ten minutes, and then walks back into Thailand to use the second entry. Is there a small chance that there's going to be a problem on the second entry ?

Has anybody put anything on Thai Visa about how they had a problem getting into Thailand for the second entry on their double entry tourist visa, after staying in Laos or Cambodia for just ten minutes ??

There is no problem. This is normally done every day by hundred or thousand people. it is called 'activate visa entry".

Paz, I wish that Thai immigration can come out and blatantly say that they're only targeting the border runners on the 30 day stamps and who leave and then walk back in after ten minutes. I wish that they could openly announce that you can 'activate visa entry' by just going to Laos or Cambodia for ten minutes and then walking back in.

And I do hope Maestro, that you're correct in saying that the problems in the south are due to officials mis-interpreting the new guidelines. :)

I certainly don't fancy going to Laos or Cambodia, and staying there for a couple of weeks, and then coming back to activate the visa entry.

Supposedly, there's apartments for rent in Sihanookville, Cambodia, that are about the same price as Thailand. And supposedly, drinking beer in Cambodia is cheaper than in Thailand. I'm forcing myself to go to Cambodia if they end it for people constantly coming into Thailand on the tourist visas.

Here's one question though. Say a double entry tourist visa. The person comes into Thailand, no problem. Now, he goes to Cambodia or Laos towards the end of the first entry (first part of the stay). He stays in Laos or Cambodia for just ten minutes, and then walks back into Thailand to use the second entry. Is there a small chance that there's going to be a problem on the second entry ?

Has anybody put anything on Thai Visa about how they had a problem getting into Thailand for the second entry on their double entry tourist visa, after staying in Laos or Cambodia for just ten minutes ??

There is no problem. This is normally done every day by hundred or thousand people. it is called 'activate visa entry".

Paz, I wish that Thai immigration can come out and blatantly say that they're only targeting the border runners on the 30 day stamps and who leave and then walk back in after ten minutes. I wish that they could openly announce that you can 'activate visa entry' by just going to Laos or Cambodia for ten minutes and then walking back in.

And I do hope Maestro, that you're correct in saying that the problems in the south are due to officials mis-interpreting the new guidelines. smile.png

I certainly don't fancy going to Laos or Cambodia, and staying there for a couple of weeks, and then coming back to activate the visa entry.

Supposedly, there's apartments for rent in Sihanookville, Cambodia, that are about the same price as Thailand. And supposedly, drinking beer in Cambodia is cheaper than in Thailand. I'm forcing myself to go to Cambodia if they end it for people constantly coming into Thailand on the tourist visas.

they arent going to come out and say that because it is obvious that the 2 and 3 entry tourist visas were not designed for 10 minute turnarounds. they were designed to allow tourists to visit other countries in the area and come back by using thailand as the base of operations. they may accept the 10 minute folks but they dont necessarily encourage it. if they did , they would just bring in a 6 month tourist visa.

And I do hope Maestro, that you're correct in saying that the problems in the south are due to officials mis-interpreting the new guidelines. smile.png

they arent going to come out and say that because it is obvious that the 2 and 3 entry tourist visas were not designed for 10 minute turnarounds. they were designed to allow tourists to visit other countries in the area and come back by using thailand as the base of operations. they may accept the 10 minute folks but they dont necessarily encourage it. if they did , they would just bring in a 6 month tourist visa.

Really ? I have been doing what you describe for years, and I have been doing it without a tourist visa, let alone a multiple entry. Actually what you describe can be (and has been) done using visa exempt. You arrive at BKK, get 30 days, stay in Thailand for a week or so, exit to Laos, return to Thailand (via land) and receive 15/30 days, exit to Cambodia and do the same thing again.

It's early days yet, but I am assuming that such usage of the visa exemption scheme should still be possible, even after tomorrow.

As to multiple entries tourist visas, I always thought they were for people who wish to stay in Thailand beyond the 30 days offered by the visa exemption scheme. And I would be very surprised if genuine or even non genuine tourists would not be allowed to activate entries on their tourist visas. After all, if Thailand offers these kinds of visas at 1000 baht per entry, one would think that people who were awarded such visas are being allowed to use them.

Edited by sjaak327

sjaak, :)
Hold on a minute. When you go to Laos, and return to Thailand (via land), how long do you stay in Laos ?
Yes, last year in November or December, loads of people were talking in the bars about "if you've got a G7 passport, you can go(walk) into Laos or Cambodia, stay ten minutes, walk back into Thailand, you will get 30 days when you walk back in, you pay a little bit to get into Laos or Cambodia, and once your 30 days is up, you can go back to Laos or Cambodia, and do it all again, and basically, stay for months and months".
But that was last year. Surely, all this stuff we're seeing in the news (on Thai Visa included) is all about clamping down on repeat use of the 30 day stamps (whilst staying in Laos or Cambodia, or anywhere for ten minutes). It's just that I'm getting a bit concerned about them stopping the double and triple entry tourist visa people as well.
Yes, I think it was in the news about how on the border with Malaysia, they supposedly did stop some people with double entry tourist visa trying to get back into Thailand, these people were supposedly staying in Malaysia for 'ten minutes'.
I'm also getting concerned, that next year, they're going to clampdown on people going to Laos and Cambodia to apply for a tourist visa. It might end up being 'you can only get a tourist visa if you apply back in your home country'. If that happens, well, I haven't got a choice, I'ill have to re-locate to Sihanookville in Cambodia, or whatever it's called. :)

I am not a citizen of a G7 (or is it G8 ?) country, so I get 15 days at land borders, have been the case for several years now. I usually stay in Laos for one to two weeks.

Apparently, the stuff these guys at the bar talk about, is something that might not be possible anymore. Ie. exit Thailand, Enter Laos or Cambodia, and return the same day (or even the same hour). getting a 30 days visa exempt stamp.

I actually read on here that out/in boder runs would not be allowed on visa exempt stamps, with the wording "return immediately". Now I have no idea what immediate means to them, but if this would mean "same day", one could stay for one day in Laos or Cambodia and return the next day.

I doubt people with genuine tourist visas would be stopped to doing such out/in visa runs, after all, to activate their additional entries, this is precisely what they need to do.

Edited by sjaak327

I applied for a triple entry today. I would just like to add that to apply for a triple entry tourist visa you also need to show 3 "plane tickets" going into Thailand.

You don't need to actually buy the tickets, just make a search, click one, and then print out the page where it shows you exact times and flight numbers.

F.ex search for a 2 weeks round-trip to hong kong, leaving on the 59th day after your first arrival. Just print the page, then search for another ticket to a different country on the 59th day after that second arrival and print that. You don't need to actually reserve and pay for the tickets, they just need to know that you have tourist plans and understand the visa limitations (60 days on each entry). When you actually arrive in Thailand you do the 60days + 30 day extensions for a total of up to 270 days, however i would get the visa at least 2 weeks in advance to be safe. They said i could pick it up after 1 week, and on the embassy website they say you should apply 1 month in advance.

So you would get perhaps 250 days or so, which doesn't sound bad at all!

I would be very worried if i had to give away my passport for a week with less than 2 weeks until departure.

I applied one month in advance, and in addition i gave them my train confirmation going to chiang mai and a "plane ticket" (search+print) going back home in march.

Hopefully it will be no problems for either of us, and if you'd like, i would be happy to meet up and grab a beer when were both in Chiang Mai =)

In New York you can only get a 2 time entry on tourist visas, you have 180 days to enter the Kingdom

get a triple in ottawa

i tried to get a triple entry in Vancouver and they said that they dont give them anymore so opted for the double entry instead .

In New York you can only get a 2 time entry on tourist visas, you have 180 days to enter the Kingdom

get a triple in ottawa

i tried to get a triple entry in Vancouver and they said that they dont give them anymore so opted for the double entry instead .

did you try by mail or in person?

I have 7 friends applied for x3 entry visa in 5 countries around the world within last month.

Only one got it.

two were denied and ended with x2 entry

two were denied and ended with x1 entry

they all have few back to back x2 entry visas on their passports.

where I am now, NYC, they don't issue x3 entry visa anymore...

I have 7 friends applied for x3 entry visa in 5 countries around the world within last month.

Only one got it.

two were denied and ended with x2 entry

two were denied and ended with x1 entry

details please

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Only one got it.

three were denied and ended with x2 entry

three were denied and ended with x1 entry

details please

that's as detailed as I want this post to be.

For details, you should check the webpage of the embassy/consulate you deal with or call them up.

Because embassies don't follow the same regulations around the world.

Edited by vantam

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Only one got it.

details please

For details, you should check the webpage of the embassy/consulate you deal with or call them up.

well your friends live (or apply) in unfortunate countries because lots of folks are getting triples

Only one got it.

details please

well your friends live (or apply) in unfortunate countries because lots of folks are getting triples

I know. I wish they all were on the same page

you could always route your trip thru montreal or toronto and pick up a triple entry there

I am not talking about this or that trip plan.

Just saying any immigration law should be followed by their officers under the SAME rule, not depending on where or how they feel like that day...

you could always route your trip thru montreal or toronto and pick up a triple entry there

Just saying any immigration law should be followed by their officers under the SAME rule, not depending on where or how they feel like that day...

immigration law does not affect embassies and consulates. that is an entirely different ministry and embassies are given the freedom to set their own policies

get a triple in ottawa

did you try by mail or in person?

in the flesh!

immigration law does not affect embassies and consulates. that is an entirely different ministry and embassies are given the freedom to set their own policies

I know, that's why I am saying I wish they all were on the same page.

thanks for your info though.

• 1 month later...

I have just got 3 entry tourist visa from Glasgow consulate. It was issued on 1st August 2014. It has been issued for entry before 31st July 2015.

I was surprised when I got it as I thought they were only good for 6 months.

That means your Visa last for 364 days ?