Thailand behind in global citizenship learning: educator

webfact

Thailand behind in global citizenship learning: educator
Pravit Rojanaphruk
The Nation

BANGKOK: -- Thailand is performing below standards when it comes to developing education for global citizenship, said Panthep Larpkersorn, an educator at the Office of the Education Council.

Panthep, a participant at the Asia-Pacific Regional Education Conference's session on Education for Global Citizenship and Sustainable Development in Bangkok, said attempts to teach Thai schoolchildren global citizenship were not cogent.

He said that when students learned about the country's neighbours, the lesson was often filled with conflicts and war, and this induced hatred instead of the spirit of cooperation.

"You can't foster a sense of friendship that way," Panthep said.

He said the National Council for Peace and Order was trying to revive older methods of education that involved teaching subjects like civic duties and history. This, he said, might make students more aware of other countries but at the same time risked making them more oriented towards rote memorisation.

In countries regarded as successful when it comes to education, such as Finland, students spend less time in school and more time learning and discovering by themselves, he said. If Thai students were overburdened with classroom subjects again, they would not have time to learn by themselves.

Christopher Castle, section chief of Health and Global Citizenship Education at the United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organisation, said education for global citizenship included learning about interdependence of people and places, with competencies such as understanding universal values, multiple identities, social-emotional skills and the capacity to act.

It was agreed at the three-day conference, which ended on Friday and was organised by Unesco and the Ministry of Education, that there was not a single definition for global citizenship.

Singapore, which is multi-ethnic, adopted English as the lingua franca because everyone felt equal when speaking it, said Lee Wing On, dean of education research at the city-state's National Institute of Education.

Lee added that values taught in Singapore were now shifting towards global values for the 21st century, with the stress on shared values, creativity, listening skills and competency such as self-directed learning.

"For Singapore to thrive and survive, Singapore must internationalise," he said.

Eom Jeongmin, chief for research and development at the Asia-Pacific Centre of Education for International Understanding, located in Seoul, said South Korean students were being taught about contributing to benefit humanity.

Empathy and a cooperative attitude to embrace diverse cultures are also being taught, she said. School students learn about fair trade, international migration, refugees, and environmental science and discuss these issues in class.

Education for Global Citizenship is one of the key issues to be adopted by the United Nations in September next year as it comes up with a new education policy for the next 15 years - 2015 to 2030.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/national/Thailand-behind-in-global-citizenship-learning-edu-30240748.html

[thenation]2014-08-12[/thenation]

Soon as I hear "global citizenship" I know it's more left wing horse do do.   Citizenship belongs to people in the country they were born or have chosen to live and is deemed so by the government of that country.

Learning geography and world history is interesting, well it was for me, but it was Maths, Science and English that was needed in the workplace.

• Like 2

Well it would indeed help if they could find other countries on the map, or indeed understand maps at all, what they really need to do is toss out their current system of memorization and bring in some science, creativity, world history, and logic based teaching. But of  course then the lower caste kids will grow up thinking for themselves and we can't have that now can we.

• Like 2

I am amazed at how little time students spend in productive classes because there are always 'activities' of some sort that entertain rather than educate.  No wonder the students in Thai government schools are never held back for poor performance but are passed along through to the following year without ever mastering the basics.  This ensures an undereducated, underperforming, under motivated, citizenry for the future of Thailand.

The reason Thai students are never held back for poor performance is the country can boast it's citizens are 100% educated... 😂
  • Like 1

Soon as I hear "global citizenship" I know it's more left wing horse do do.   Citizenship belongs to people in the country they were born or have chosen to live and is deemed so by the government of that country.

Learning geography and world history is interesting, well it was for me, but it was Maths, Science and English that was needed in the workplace.

But an interesting curriculum for you though. In Thai schools its all about teacher writing on the blackboard and students copying it down, which very interesting if you want to produce zombies. With English, I am told, there is lots of time spent on grammar and very little in speaking, reading, writing, construction of sentances. The probably reason for this is so that the teacher can use the blackboard and avoid revealing her/his poor English speaking skills.

A fully inclusive list of subjects need to parachuted into the Thai education system to give a full education, but its not likely to happen is it. It seems to be that some people in the country dont want an educated populace, some dont want to change the extremely successful education system that churns out thousands of potential monks.

This subject keeps coming back and going away again, the "teachers" get their pay, the students suffer and life goes on, if only there classes on how to use the "smartphone"! Well there wont be the teachers cant work out to use them.

It was agreed at the three-day conference, which ended on Friday and was organised by Unesco and the Ministry of Education, that there was not a single definition for global citizenship.

Looks like it was a success, then. Budget well spent.

• Like 2

On global citizenship learning:

(Singapore) ...For Singapore to thrive and survive, Singapore must internationalise.

(South Korea) ...Empathy and a cooperative attitude to embrace diverse cultures are also being taught, she said. School students learn about fair trade, international migration, refugees, and environmental science and discuss these issues in class.

Compare the above first two statements (S. Korea and Singapore) with the paragraph below and the NCPO's 12 points given to the Thai Ministry of Education:

General Prayuth recently stated in one of his weekly addresses; On cultural issues. We should help to reinforce the values of “Being Thai”, national pride, and upholding the institution of the monarchy. These values should be included in the school curriculum by the Ministry of Education.
  1. Love for the nation, religions and monarchy.
  2. Honesty, patience and good intention for the public.
  3. Gratitude to parents, guardians and teachers.
  4. Perseverance in learning.
  5. Conservation of Thai culture.
  6. Morality and sharing with others.
  7. Correctly understanding democracy with the monarchy as head of the state.
  8. Discipline and respect for the law and elders.
  9. Awareness in thinking and doing things, and following the guidance of His Majesty the King.
  10. Living by the sufficiency economy philosophy guided by His Majesty the King.
  11. Physical and mental strength against greed.
  12. Concern about the public and national good more than self-interest.

The General also did mention:

"We need to encourage our citizens, children, government officials and all sectors to build a systemic way of thinking by not thinking only in the short term basis".

-and-

"Think for the long term with focused and rational thinking. Do not believe in what others say but it must be proven".

The above two statements are good IMO, however I am left wondering... Global citizenship... Thailand? 

• Like 1

Thai school kids are too busy singing the Junta happy song than to be learning anything useful. All that dreadful science and technology, creative thinking and all, might make them ask questions that shouldn't be asked.

"He said that when students learned about the country's neighbours..."

"It was agreed at the three-day conference, which ended on Friday and was organised by Unesco..."

Which language are you using, Khun Pravit? British English or American English. Either it's learnt or organized, if you want to use learned then use neighbors. Try to keep it standard next time; there's a good learning lad.

As for your article, it's complete garbage; sorry, I meant trash.

Edit: In case you didn't get it, in British English = rubbish.

Edited by DrLom

......there are three words for this......narrow-mindedness*..............racism............and......xenophobia........

*(Euphemism)

....is someone finally admitting that there is a problem......???

...that is the first step to finding a solution....

• Like 1

And Maths and Science brings understanding of universal values as well. Things were found out in different countries. Things are the same here, in India and on the South Pole......Technicians are often the least xenophobic ones.

• Like 1

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

recently the junta launched a heavy crackdown on visa runner and illegal teacher. The message was pretty clear : teacher get out of thailand.

Not only the salary is low, but in some case the school dont even provide a work permit:

But who gonna suffer first? Of course the small, local, poor, public school who hired a foreigner for just 20 Kbaht.

The junta wanted obviously let the poor student in a sea of ignorance.

And you totally twist the intent of the juntas action in this regard.  As always your as obvious as the nose on an elephant.

recently the junta launched a heavy crackdown on visa runner and illegal teacher. The message was pretty clear : teacher get out of thailand.

Not only the salary is low, but in some case the school dont even provide a work permit:

But who gonna suffer first? Of course the small, local, poor, public school who hired a foreigner for just 20 Kbaht.

I hope, for God's sake, they were not employing you as an English teacher.

If you can't get a legitimate work permit and teacher's licence, then sod off is all I can say. You're not a teacher, or kru or Ajarn, in anyway whatsoever.

Judging by your attitude on this forum, no classroom needs you in it - mind bender mai na?

• Like 1

I'm pretty confident you could put Thailand behind in just about every educational aspect,

rather than roll out these announcements every month or so.

When the junta tackle the huge level of corruption in that system, I will

give them a pass, but they are currently only window dressing.

When you've seen the some of corruption firsthand, you get an idea of just how big it is.

From the Thai cultural mandates ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thai_cultural_mandates ):

Mandate 2

On preventing danger to the nation, issued 3 July 1939, consisted of five items:

"Thai people must not engage in any business without considering the benefit and safety of the nation."
"Thai people must never reveal anything to foreigners that might damage the nation. These actions are a betrayal of the nation."
"Thai people must not act as agent or spokesman for foreigners without considering the benefit of the Thai nation, and must not express opinion or take the side of foreigners in international disputes. These actions are a betrayal of the nation."
"Thai people must not secretly purchase land on behalf of foreigners in a way that endangers the nation. These actions are a betrayal of the nation."
"When a person has betrayed the nation, it is the duty of Thai people to actively and quickly put a stop to it."

Seems they stuck pretty well.

Edited by DrTuner
  • Like 1

yes, teach them how great they are, how bad the neighbours are

don't teach them any skills to start to think critically, that is against the law

If u criticize the junta u go to monkey house,if u criticize the royalist u go to monkey house,if u criticize some hisos they will shoot u,if u criticize ur teacher u get bad grades.

Thais are raised not to criticize each other.It is one reason why governments can do whatever they like to do.and also a reason why the service sucks everywhere.Thais not complain,and companies take full advantage of that

• Like 1

Yes, those pesky left wingers with their nutty ideas about internationalism. Imagine actually caring about what happens in other countries, claiming that that has an effect on me where I live. 

And don't get me started on pollution. I know it's crazy but some people think that just because the shit we release into the atmosphere crosses borders we should actually do something about it! The nerve!!

Nope, they just want qualified teachers, and not the rogue ones, who often left home to evade personal problems, and are just looking for a nice way to score chicks and beer 

• Like 1

Nope, they just want qualified teachers, and not the rogue ones, who often left home to evade personal problems, and are just looking for a nice way to score chicks and beer 

Well said. Seems Bender thinks he's entitled to the world. @Bender - Arrogance is not a virtue, and if you don't have the qualifications to get a valid visa and work pernit, and please God let that be the case, then get the gear out of your duffle-bag before you fly home. If LIFE'S that hard for you here, then rid of it before you have to cope with 20 MORE years here. Then again, maybe you'd enjoy the free food and the Bending? The Philippines is not that far away to fly home to, you know. ;)