What Would You Guys Recommend.....

hi peeps......can anyone please help me, i have spoke to many people about this in thailand and in the uk and everyone has a different answer to give me....dont spose it helps that the people i normally speak to are all propped up by bars.. :o

The situation is that i have been going to thailand for the past 5 years always on a tourist visa, doing the cambodia border run if i was ever staying over a month...

In Thailand i met my partner who is a thai and two years ago we married in thailand, when i say married i mean the real deal in bangkok registry office where we got all the forms, so it was all done proper

Shortly after that we obtained a 2 year settlement visa for her in the uk, this visa wasnt that hard to obtain considering all the advice we were given, as long as you have all correct paperwork and copies it was fairly straight forward..

Shortly after we came to the uk where we live now and recently married again in the uk...

What i need advice on is, we would both like to be able to go back to thailand for about 4-5 months over the winter months, to see family and stuff like that....can anyone advise me on the best way to do this or what visa to obtain for this time..

Really want to do things proper because i dont want have any hassle or risk getting black marked....im 28 and partner 26 so not after retirment or anything....

if anyone could help then that would be great :D

hi peeps......can anyone please help me, i have spoke to many people about this in thailand and in the uk and everyone has a different answer to give me....dont spose it helps that the people i normally speak to are all propped up by bars.. :o

The situation is that i have been going to thailand for the past 5 years always on a tourist visa, doing the cambodia border run if i was ever staying over a month...

In Thailand i met my partner who is a thai and two years ago we married in thailand, when i say married i mean the real deal in bangkok registry office where we got all the forms, so it was all done proper

Shortly after that we obtained a 2 year settlement visa for her in the uk, this visa wasnt that hard to obtain considering all the advice we were given, as long as you have all correct paperwork and copies it was  fairly straight forward..

Shortly after we came to the uk where we live now and recently married again in the uk...

What i need advice on is, we would both like to be able to go back to thailand for about 4-5 months over the winter months, to see family and stuff like that....can anyone advise me on the best way to do this or what visa to obtain for this time..

Really want to do things proper because i dont want have any hassle or risk getting black marked....im 28 and partner 26 so not after retirment or anything....

if anyone could help then that would be great  :D

you need a non immigrant O visa which is very easy for your to obtain in the UK from a thai consulate.

that can be also be extended to one year by thai immigration if you meet the requirements based on support for your wife.

Shortly after that we obtained a 2 year settlement visa for her in the uk, this visa wasnt that hard to obtain considering all the advice we were given, as long as you have all correct paperwork and copies it was  fairly straight forward..

if anyone could help then that would be great  :D

you need a non immigrant O visa which is very easy for your to obtain in the UK from a thai consulate.

that can be also be extended to one year by thai immigration if you meet the requirements based on support for your wife.

Or get a multiple entry O visa, and do a run. Each entry enables a 90 day stay. The extension option requires that you open a bank account in Thailand with a 400,000 baht balance, or have an income and savings amounting to the 400 k.

As said; you want a multi entry non immigrant visa on the basis of your marriage. You should be able to obtain with Thai marriage certificate (or UK perhaps as you seem to have redone your deed). Probably they will want to copy her ID card also. This visa will be valid for one year and you can travel to Thailand and stay up to 90 days (just cross border for another 90) so one trip out would serve you for the winter. Your wife should use her Thai passport for entry/exit in Thailand and no visa required. Unless/until you return to live here I would not even consider the extension of stay option (you are supposed to have a home address here for that anyhow).

Thanks guys....

Looks like i will be going the "non o" way then..and doing a border run for the last couple of months....Just wanted to do it all proper you see, spoke to a few blokes and it seems they all got different ideas, one guy sent his passport off to birmingham from collard and he been waiting for 5 weeks,he got hold of the consulate and they told him it was sent......he was in bits with worry because he has a wife and kids over there and his passport has gone and he has no copies and he isnt sure when it runs out......

Now thats what i dont want to happen....anyway thanks a lot guys i will send off for a non o before i leave....

:o

one guy sent his passport off to birmingham from collard and he been waiting for 5 weeks,he got hold of the consulate and they told him it was sent

there are "arrange your visa" companies in thailand that did this for years, it is illegal to send your passport out of thailand for a visa. you have to travel with your passport across the border and get an exit stamp, then visa , then entry stamp to come back in to thailand. your friend may now be missing an exit or entry stamp in his passport and is responsible not the UK thai embassy that issued the visa.

one guy sent his passport off to birmingham from collard and he been waiting for 5 weeks,he got hold of the consulate and they told him it was sent

there are "arrange your visa" companies in thailand that did this for years, it is illegal to send your passport out of thailand for a visa.

Not from UK myself but town name of "Collard" does not sound Thai. Believe passport was mailed in UK in proper manner.

there are "arrange your visa" companies in thailand that did this for years, it is illegal to send your passport out of thailand for a visa.

Not from UK myself but town name of "Collard" does not sound Thai. Believe passport was mailed in UK in proper manner.

he was in bits with worry because he has a wife and kids over there and his passport has gone and he has no copies and he isnt sure when it runs out......

was under the impression that it was sent from thailand to collard then to birmingham as he was worrying when "it runs out"...meaning thai visa

oh....sorry...when i say collard i actually ment Nakhon Ratchasima.....Dont ask my why collard, just heard a lot of people there refer to it as that....i thought it was strange so i asked my other half and she said it involved women fighting there in a civil war years ago.....got a bit heavy at that point so i just called it that after...i know it is wrong name but it saves an argument with the wife

so sorry if you missunderstood, now you can see why the guy is worried....ive posted stuff to thailand before buy royal mail air and it took about 6-8 days to get there....i darnt tell him that though as he was waiting five weeks with no passport....

Now thats why i am so glad i came across this forum, i just want to do things right and this site has answers to everything i need......there cant be no substitute to hearing from the people already doing it to hear the correct ways.....makes a big difference with immigration and financially......thanks again :o

oh....sorry...when i say collard i actually ment Nakhon Ratchasima.....Dont ask my why collard, just heard a lot of people there refer to it as that....i thought it was strange so i asked my other half and she said it involved women fighting there in a civil war years ago.....got a bit heavy at that point so i just called it that after...i know it is wrong name but it saves an argument with the wife

so sorry if you missunderstood, now you can see why the guy is worried....ive posted stuff to thailand before buy royal mail air and it took about 6-8 days to get there....i darnt tell him that though as he was waiting five weeks with no passport....

Now thats why i am so glad i came across this forum, i just want to do things right and this site has answers to everything i need......there cant be no substitute to hearing from the people already doing it to hear the correct ways.....makes a big difference with immigration and financially......thanks again :o

Does your friend realise that the awaited visa isn't legal ? One doesn't need to be Sherlock Holmes to see that he was in Thailand when the passport was in the UK.

Does your friend realise that the awaited visa isn't legal ? One doesn't need to be Sherlock Holmes to see that he was in Thailand when the passport was in the UK.

The saga continues. Please pass to any other friends who might be tempted to try this that it is not a good idea. All he had to do (has wife and kids) was to travel out himself to Penang or other consulate to obtain a legal and proper visa. A two or three day trip once every year to 15 months.

The saga continues. Please pass to any other friends who might be tempted to try this that it is not a good idea. All he had to do (has wife and kids) was to travel out himself to Penang or other consulate to obtain a legal and proper visa. A two or three day trip once every year to 15 months.

" A man in a bar told me it was quite ok to do it that way, and he was a nice guy, he couldn't possibly have been wrong " :o

Tyler2uk

Nakon Ratchasima is often refered to as Korat.

Many far east people have difficulties in pronouncing the letter "R", and will pronounce it as "L". This will sound as Kolat=Collard

Tyler2uk

Nakon Ratchasima is often refered to as Korat.

Many far east people have difficulties in pronouncing the letter "R", and will pronounce it as "L". This will sound as Kolat=Collard

I'm a bit slow today Dutch. For the life of me I couldn't figure out where on earth Collard was. Thank you. Now I'll be able to sleep. :o

yep...........

i totally agree, now you can see why i dont want that to happen...(i.e doing it the wrong way.....)

After all thats involved with a settlement visa for the uk for the other half i knew you had to do things the right way......

Thats why i came here for advice on the correct ways....

The bloke who sent his passport off to uk was worried sick, i asked if he had copies and he said he didnt, much to my horror....

On enquiring how he got a visa before he said he gave it to a thai immigration guy outside some immigration place in pattaya ( it was probably a security guard or car park guy with complementary whistle ) and this guy apparently took his passport and a fee and sent it off to malaysia and got him a 3 month visa....

I think the deal with this guy was he had been there a while and he was still pickled on the finest thai whisky, and just didnt care.....

As for me i wouldnt let the passport out of my sight, and yes i would have just gone to penang, and treated it as a holiday......

And the most important fact with me is after two years of my wife being on a settlement visa in the uk we have to apply for an etitlement to stay, and i guess that would be much harder with black marks on my passport.....or indeed if i was marooned in thailand

I am sometimes quite suprised that when i meet people in thailand they all got different ways ( normally very illegal ) of going about thier stay, i am always wondering why they didnt do thier homework....... :o

On enquiring how he got a visa before he said he gave it to a thai immigration guy outside some immigration place in pattaya ( it was probably a security guard or car park guy with complementary whistle ) and this guy apparently took his passport and a fee and sent it off to malaysia and got him a 3 month visa....

i can't believe that same guy and girl are still sending passports to malaysia . 20 feet away from immigration's door, unbelievable...i had a friend deal with them last year and it was a disaster getting his passport back, called me up after 4 weeks+ of misery and was scared to just walk around pattaya. house arrested himself because he didn't have his passport. it arrived after 5 weeks with a bogus entry stamp and he had to start all over with a new passport.

i can't believe that same guy and girl are still sending passports to malaysia <if it's who i think it is>. 20 feet away from immigration's door, unbelievable

I 'think' this was past tense and the reason he now chose to send it to the UK. But I was wrong about the Collard greens so could be on that too. :o

I think you guys could make fortune if you had a little shop giving out real, true advice about the ins and out of living there.....

Especially near the english embassy, when we went in to hand in paper work for application for a uk settlement visa there was a guy in the queue who met a girl 3 days ago and all he had was his passport and her id card, they still made him pay 18 or 19,000bt (non refundable) and off they went.....i did ask if he had any more info for the application and he said no, he wouldnt need it,....

Seems people lose all sence of reality when over there, i mean that was £300...

Met another guy who give everything to his girl and was ringing home to get a flight sorted cos he was out of cash.....

people arnt like that in the uk....must be the heat....and beer.... :o