Traveling to Sri Lanka want some tips please

Chook

Hi Has any one traveled to SriLanka lately I would like some imfo on the best places to visit & stay on a budget Thinking of traveling in Feb/March with my Thai wife will travel around by train so any places easy reached by that meens would be good Kindness Chook

Better rent a car with driver. It wont be more expensive becauswe of low wages. Eveyone speaks English, Itinary Colombo/Kandy/Nuwara Eliya

Hatton/Ratnapura Galle. Its a truly beautiful country.

• Like 1

I went last December. Where you go, depends on what you want to see. I was interested in the ancient cities. I arranged for a car and drive. I would strongly advise against renting a car although traffic is much more tame than Thailand. I booked my hotels through Agoda and my car and driver through www.srilankantours.org. My experience in dealing with the car and driver was very positive. In retrospect, I should have made all the arrangements through Sri Lankan Tours. My itinerary was Anuradhapura, Pollonaruwa, Kandy, and a very brief stay in Colombo before returning. Rakith is the contact at the tour company and Chula was my driver. Very professional and no problems. PM me if you want more info.

It's been a while since I was there, but I was unable to get on the train, twice, because of overcrowding, and they wouldn't refund my fare.

If you hire a van with driver, you might have to force him to drive slower than flat out- I was terrified, and absolutely agree a price before and don't let the sob story about his 8 children make you pay more at the end.

On the beach I was frequently accosted by scum touts for shops.

• 5 months later...

Why limit yourself to where the train goes?

We were there 3 years ago and hired a car with driver for the first 15 days of our trip. There was little addl cost for the driver above the cost of the car. All mid-priced and higher hotels have rooms for the driver. Don't let him choose your hotels though. They'll pick the hotels that pay the drivers the biggest commissions, regardless of the quality or price of a room. Use any guidebook or website to find hotels in your price range. And don't believe the driver when he says the hotel is full. Make the telephone call yourself.

The itinerary should be based on your personal preference -- ancient sites, wildlife, culture, or beaches.