I Still Dont Get It

Dondi

Another good example would be Barry Nana - in 82 he opened Bar Nana and twenty years later look where he is......well, he died of Syphullis a long time ago but thats not the point.

Harry~

One more example: Tony Kuen, a 1/2 Italian, 1/2 Burmese guy. He built most of the up-market bars in Soi Cowboy during the early 80's.

Was shot dead by some mafia folks around '83 or '84. :o

• 1 month later...

Restaurant and bar business are teh number one failing businesses world wide. They fail for two simple reasons.

Bad location and poor management.

Too often guys who buy bars are guys who like to drink in bars, they give away drinks, do not watch everything like a hawk.

Restaurants are teh same. You can be a great cook, but if you do not know the price to the baht, penny pence florin or yen that is going into each dish right down to how much soap to clean teh dish, you are going to fail.

If you are very well known, run an amazing place, you can pull to a poor location

One guy in 100 can do this. You are likely not that person.

Business is money in and out

a great bartender who pulls people in but is stealing is same as having a bad bartender.

Hire a great stealing bartender to show you how the stealing takes place. Pay him for his knowledge. Follow his advice.

A great business to make a lot of CASH money, but always remember when there is a lot of CASH around people try to pick up little bits of it.

Very labor-owner intensive business.

I have a friend who used to own a bar/comedy club here in the US. He was doing well and started to live a life outside the bar while his partner ran the place. Within a few months the place was out of business. Everybody who knew the owner or his partner thought they were entitled to drink for free. Too many of the bartenders were letting friends drink for free. He even suspected some of the employees might have skimmed a little. You don't have to be in Thailand to lose your ass in the bar business.

Running any business takes certain skills, hard work, and a little luck. I don't know if I would be so willing to dismiss the idea of being able to run a successful bar so quickly or simply based on the fact that so many others fail. Let's face it, people picking up and moving half a world away to run a bar in Thailand aren't necessarily poster boys for the work ethic. Some are though and they do well if they also happen to be good businessmen and just a little lucky.

As someone else mentioned, bars are one of the biggest business failures in the world. Even here in the US I can't count the number of owners many nightclubs have seen over the last few years. I live in Los Angeles so we even get the mega-hip clubs with celebs and the whole deal and a year later the place is gone. I think someone who isn't "escaping" to Thailand but seeking out a business opportunity might do well. Anybody who thinks it would be a great way to fund his mid-life crisis might as well just keep his money in the bank.

"....I think someone who isn't "escaping" to Thailand but seeking out a business opportunity might do well. Anybody who thinks it would be a great way to fund his mid-life crisis might as well just keep his money in the bank."

My guess is over 50% of the beer bars in any city in Thailand are gents "escaping" or having a "mid-life crisis".....I intend to enjoy both!....All depends on what your definition of "success" is. :o