School totally screwed my ED visa renewal

I studied at the school in BKK for one year. After taking the schools own Thai language test I was given three options

1. Take the test at the ministry of Education and extent my visa

2. Leave Thailand and apply for a new ED Visa

2. Change to Pattaya and just extend my visa

As spend a lot of time in Pattaya as I have Condo and business there I take the 3rd option and payed the 24,900 Thai baht

Today I called to check if my paper work was ready and if not when.

Absolute shock to be told that, I would have to come to the school again on the 11 Aug and apply again, and the that the paper work will take to to another 6 weeks, ?

My Visa expires on 29th of August,which of course would put me on a massive overstay, I paid my money to renew the extension with them over 5 weeks ago and even had my friend to call and check that everything is ok.

Can not believe that they never bothererd to inform me, OMG.

No I am left with no way of renewing my ED visa and 24,900 baht out of pocket.

Edited by ubonjoe
Edited title to remove name of school, Naming and shaming is not allowed.
  • Like 1

This is going to be an interesting thread. 

Indeed. However, it will have a very predictable ending. ;)

Sorry to hear about this OP. It seems as if you have been well and truely let down. I hope you can resolve this issue ASAP.

Reason from <snip> was the government changed the rules , best they say they San do is keep 6000 baht for themselves and refund me the rest.

And why are they demanding to keep 6,000?  Did they tell you what the rule changes were? I am not trying to be difficult.  I am honestly curious as to what happened as I just obtained my paperwork for my ED Visa (different school).  I had no problems and everything was processed in 2.5 weeks.  

Edited by inbangkok

The topic title and 2 posts has been edited. Naming and shaming is not allowed by forum rules.

Plus one post deleted.

That was not me. Plus you edited your post, That made it off topic.

Thanks for info!

Yes edited the post by correcting the spelling of one word.

It seems you got caught in the middle of rule changes the apparently caused your first application to be rejected.

Perhaps they will be able to get your paperwork pushed quicker than normal. If not it might mean going out for a new visa.

It is difficult right now due to ongoing developments with ED visas, the future is unclear as things are very fluid, a few things to note in general,

You are not buying a visa, you are buying lessons, the visa assistance is to help you study and is provided at no cost.

Triple the workload at the MOE means you need to not leave applications to the last minute, paperwork is taking 5-6 weeks, previously 2-3 weeks.

The schools are not responsible for changes to visa rules, the information given by schools is current when provided.

Not to take sides but if the rules have changed it's not school fault. Anyone that has stayed 1 year on extensions have to do an ED visa run now.

For what I understand the school is petitioning MoE  for a new ED visa now. That has administrative costs for which they will withhold an amount in case the student wants to cancel the course.

Otherwise he may wait to get the paperwork, it seems to me that until 29/8 plus perhaps a 7 days extension there is time enough for the ED visa run, and he will not loose any money.

Edited by paz

It is difficult right now due to ongoing developments with ED visas, the future is unclear as things are very fluid, a few things to note in general,

You are not buying a visa, you are buying lessons, the visa assistance is to help you study and is provided at no cost.

Triple the workload at the MOE means you need to not leave applications to the last minute, paperwork is taking 5-6 weeks, previously 2-3 weeks.

The schools are not responsible for changes to visa rules, the information given by schools is current when provided.

I wonder what do they expect students to do? Just leave the country for 5+ weeks until the paperwork is processed?

Seems incredibly short sighted policy.

I wonder what do they expect students to do? Just leave the country for 5+ weeks until the paperwork is processed?

Seems incredibly short sighted policy.

The schools have no control over the time it takes the MOE to issue the paperwork, the workload is high due to the recent changes and this could not be foreseen by anyone.

Anyway, sounds like you only have two options.  Take the loss and go home...or.....go to Laos and return on a tourist Visa. That will give you 60 and you can extend by 30.  Hopefully the paperwork will be complete by then.

Taking the exam to see that the knowledge of Thai Language is improving is another.