Spouse Visa To Oz - Why Do We Wait So Long?

I have just read a very informative article by Stickman, who is a well known expat in Bangkok.

It may explain in part, why we wait so long for Spouse Visas to be issued

http://www.stickmanbangkok.com/living.html

see heading: "Employment, Visas & Work Permits"

Here are two quotes from that article:

"Let me first say that the workplace in Thailand can be a bloody unusual environment for the uninitiated foreigner and quite different to what you are used to at home. While you may suffer culture shock when you first visit or move to Thailand, you will suffer it all over again when you join the workforce here! Things are much more relaxed in Thailand but this aside, a lot of the other differences concern issues that anyone with a background in management would consider to be very negative. As harsh as it sounds, Thai culture interferes with productivity in a fairly major way and for this reason alone, so many things are much less efficient than in the West or in some cases, they just never get accomplished. An example: Your boss is older than you, presumably wealthier than you and his position as your superior demands respect. There happens to be an issue for which a solution has not yet been devised. As a younger person, you may quite possibly have a superior education to your boss and may have a few potential solutions to offer. However, as you don't want to risk your boss losing face by having the suggestion come from you - a person of lower status, you will just quietly sit on those ideas... There are so many other examples. I have taught English within the offices of companies and usually, the younger students speak better English than their older counterparts who tend to have higher ranking positions. Ask one of the younger students in a class with some older colleagues a question and they will just sit there quietly and won't answer... It's face, again. "

"Obviously companies with a high percentage of foreigners will operate in a manner more akin with what we are used to in the West, but many still have that Thai flavour. Even the embassies, multinational companies and schools employing foreign teachers have a workplace culture that is far more Thai than Western."

If you haven't already read this article, I highly recommend it for anyone wanting to get the nitty gritty on Bangkok and Thai culture.

It's both very informative and entertaining.