Drinking water

For the past several years, when I fly back to the states, I take a water sample from the tap in my condo, in a sterile container and have a buddy of mine that works at a city water treatment plant, take it into the lab. Every time, the water has come back with a clean bill of health. Needless to say, I'm more than a little shocked by this and still prefer to drink bottled water but....

Oh, this is in Pattaya.

• Like 2

Any water treatment facility will test the water for you and also some of the better hospitals.. Although not all water treatment facilities are fully equip but I know the one in Sattahip near the Utapao Aiirport is well fitted thanks in part to the US military.. It is ran by the Thai Navy and accessible to the public.. They even sell their own bottled water there.. The fees would be based on the amount of testing requested...

• Like 1

Don't drink the tap water in Thailand!

It makes no difference where you are at: Bangkok, up-country, or another major Thai city,...don't drink the water!

I even wash-off my toothbrush with bottled water.

I even use bottled water to cook with.

Thai's have drunken the non-pure water for years/decades, which is bad for them but their system are use to it.

All it takes is one good bout of bad water and you'll have the loose bowl syndrome for week/weeks.

• Like 1

Apologies, I don't know where you would buy a water testing but I would be very interested in hearing the results, especially after the news yesterday where the authorities said that tap water in Thailand is clean enough to drink!

I have been drinking from tap for some time, but i have invested in water filtration system! I hope it is doing the job!

• Like 1

Here in Hua Hin, my water is often discoloured and sometimes has a slight "stagnant pond" smell to it. I don't need any test to tell me to leave well alone, no matter what the authorities say. Also, after buying a clear garden hose, a few months ago " used daily", I have noticed a black coating on the nside of it. "safe to drink" ? yeah, if you have a lead lined stomach maybe.

Edited by lucifer666
  • Like 1

Hey ppl!

been reading a lot about living thai... going to move to Thailand in the next 6 months..hopefully. I was reading another post on water quality. and you should remember this: CARBON/CHARCOAL BASED FILTERS D-O-N-O-T- filter out chemicals good or bad, poisons, pesticides, fecal matter etc etc......I for one will be using bottled water and even the "roadside dispensers for it are not safe.. they can be contaminated too. if it isn't bottled in another country im not going to chance it. EVEN BOILING "FOR COOKING WASHING SHOWERS ETC"... will not destroy chemicals!!.....something to think about when you say "filter".

BOOOM!

Reverse osmosis is the only way to filter out chemicals and bacteria. For 100% bacteria free water pass the filtered water through a UV unit.

Perth Australia supplements it's water supply with sea water. This is filtered by a huge bank of RO units. This water is so pure lime is added to make it taste like water.

Ships at sea use RO units to convert sea water to drinking water.

Go to a place (not a big supermarket style builders' merchat) that sells water purifiers. They will often do a free test for you. The results will need analysing however.

What do I know, we drink rain water.

• Like 1

Go to a place (not a big supermarket style builders' merchat) that sells water purifiers. They will often do a free test for you. The results will need analysing however.

Rainwater also contains bacteria.

think of rat- bird- and even cat droppings on the roof...

and dead geckos floating in your tank......

We kill all of this using colloidal silver systems.

in more than 10 schools now.

Lab test results by ministry of public health in Kohrat are perfect.

• Like 1

Rainwater also contains bacteria.

think of rat- bird- and even cat droppings on the roof...

and dead geckos floating in your tank......

We kill all of this using colloidal silver systems.

in more than 10 schools now.

Lab test results by ministry of public health in Kohrat are perfect.

Not our rainwater, but thanks for warning me.

• Like 1

If Thais with a take home pay of 1700 THB/month will not drink the local water out of the tap then neither will I. I think the locals know. Even he poorest of the poor do not want to drink the water although sometimes forced to.

Thai Locals has learned from their parents, that the water is not safe to drink. and 15 years ago it was not. Old habits is hard to get rid of, also old buildings and areas where the poorest people is living has vary bad and old pipes that might be contaminated.

I wonder how many in this tread that point out the "danger" with drinking water from the tap is actually smoking a cigarette every now and then and is drinking alcohol at least every week.

Ok no bacteria in cigarettes, and alcohol, but poisons. But the food we are eating contains a lot of bacteria.

Keyboards, door handles and especially money contains lots and lots of bacteria and for many dishes we use our hands, holding a burger, Pizza or piece of chicken.

Don't filter out the mosquitos while letting the camels pass...

Here in Hua Hin, my water is often discoloured and sometimes has a slight "stagnant pond" smell to it. I don't need any test to tell me to leave well alone, no matter what the authorities say. Also, after buying a clear garden hose, a few months ago " used daily", I have noticed a black coating on the nside of it. "safe to drink" ? yeah, if you have a lead lined stomach maybe.

You are right I had a friend who by the way was very rich ( when died he left his children in America over 30 million US dollars ) drink tap water and yes he died at 97 if he would have drank bottle water maybe he could have lived to hundred

So be careful

You are right I had a friend who by the way was very rich ( when died he left his children in America over 30 million US dollars ) drink tap water and yes he died at 97 if he would have drank bottle water maybe he could have lived to hundred

So be careful

Or to 95, who knows.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Don't drink the tap water in Thailand!

It makes no difference where you are at: Bangkok, up-country, or another major Thai city,...don't drink the water!

I even wash-off my toothbrush with bottled water.

I even use bottled water to cook with.

Thai's have drunken the non-pure water for years/decades, which is bad for them but their system are use to it.

All it takes is one good bout of bad water and you'll have the loose bowl syndrome for week/weeks.

We all drink the water unwillingly when we take shower, or brush our teeth. I don't think the amount make any differences if the water is contaminated

If Thais with a take home pay of 1700 THB/month will not drink the local water out of the tap then neither will I. I think the locals know. Even he poorest of the poor do not want to drink the water although sometimes forced to.

1700 baht a month? Who do you know taking home that?

We too drink clean rain water. Though God only knows what it passes through enroute to our water collectors. The family is never unhappy when I bring home carload of bottled water. Which is often. It isn't about face (false pride.) They are entitled to have their preferances.

The thing I like best about TV - I am not so concerned with my lack of spelling ability. There are also some good folks who post here.

When we open new law office in Ubon, the good folks here will be the first to know. If we're not helping each other, what is the sense in being alive.

We too drink clean rain water. Though God only knows what it passes through enroute to our water collectors. The family is never unhappy when I bring home carload of bottled water. Which is often. It isn't about face (false pride.) They are entitled to have their preferances.

The thing I like best about TV - I am not so concerned with my lack of spelling ability. There are also some good folks who post here.

When we open new law office in Ubon, the good folks here will be the first to know. If we're not helping each other, what is the sense in being alive.

"When we open new law office in Ubon, the good folks here will be the first to know. If we're not helping each other, what is the sense in being alive."

Wonderful sentiment not heard enough here. I've never heard of anyone posting here giving free legal advice (or free anything) to TV members, good for you. Post your contact details so that we can find you.

I don't think I'm misunderstanding your post, am I, or do you perhaps mean that us good folks here will be the first to be your paying clients, surely not, there'd be no sense in being alive then would there? I'm confused now.

I can tell you that the tap water from PWA in Chiangmai is designed to be drunk, and I believe IS drunk by officials of PWA who know a little more than most.

Their tolerances are to international norms.

I have been to their lab and sample bottles abound.

Bear in mind our bodies developed over millennia to be able to drink water from pretty lousy sources.

In fact our earlier development was in the driest areas (Africa followed by fairly low latitudes) where fresh running water might be less available and we might be drinking from grotty semi-dry wells and ponds.

Sent from my iPad using ThaiVisa app