Prayuth to be voted PM 'on 21 August,' legislators say

webfact

Stop trolling around.

Even you should understand that in the context of Egypt there is a difference between saying "better than the government they replaced" than just a general "better than an elected government, right?"

You stated "More like 'better than the government they replaced'.", which suggests that a military government killing over a thousand protesters and using the judiciary to sentence hundreds of others to death is better than the government they toppled in a coup. Now if your intent was to disagree with my choice of words, you should have chosen your words better.

But it isn't pertinent to this topic, the circumstances in Egypt were, and still are, very different from Thailand.

My dear Brucy, our past 'discussions' have made it clear to me that you have no intent to even try admit you don't feel a need to understand what I wrote as long as it doesn't fit your agenda.

My intent was to disagree indeed as the Egypt situation described was about one government slightly better than the previous one. That had nothing at all to do with 'an elected government'. That was something you just tried to insert as part of your agenda.

You don't need to fear though, I will not try to make you understand. For some ignorance seems to be bliss.

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Actually, abolishing the constitution (in which the position of the head of state is described) would in itself be LM.

Well, thank you for your professional opinion on this legal matter. Pray tell, what details may one find in the description of the Martial Law ?

On 20 May 2014, in what is described as a partial repeal of the 2007 constitution, Prayuth Chan-ocha, the Commander in Chief of the Royal Thai Army, invoked the Act proclaimed 27 August 2457 B.E. (A.D. 1914) as part of the administrative reforms of King Vajiravudh (Rama VI) entitled Martial Law, B.E. 2457 (1914) (as amended in 1942, 1944, 1959, and 1972.)

I wasn't taking about a legal matter of course. Are you suggesting that the abolishing of the 1997 constitution was legal, or is it just a case of laws being changed to make it legal retroactively ?

Are you incapable of sticking to a topic? What's next an even older constitution? The 1932 version maybe? Now if you really want to discuss LM ... ...

"The NCPO runs the country. Therefore it is a government."

Yes, It is at the moment the only government Thailand has. By design it is a temporary measure brought on by the state of emergency. A proper government framework with all the window dressings needs to be implemented. This is not only for it to function in the long term but also for appearances sake. The polls indicate the Thai public overwhelmingly support Gen. Prayuth for the position of PM. I can't argue with the polls. He will be elected by a unanimous landslide victory.

"Elections can then be held under a new constitution which will prohibit any future elected government from having any power, which will permanently reside in the hands of unelected "good people" who are accountable to no-one but each other".

You left out the most important part of my original statement; "jeopardizing the nation and its institutions". Do a little research on the Finland incident to find out why.

You are wrong to say that these good people are accountable to no one but themselves. Most of them are or will be military or former military and if you were to ask any one of them they will tell you where their allegiance lies.

"I thought the party line was that the junta was officially neutral and had nothing to do with Suthep"

So far they are sticking to the script.

"He will be elected by a unanimous landslide victory"

Yeah I am sure he will be, unfortunately apart from 200 members of the NLA, appointed by the military, no other Thai will have any say in the matter. Not to mention there probably are no other candidates. For landlside victories obtained from the Thai electorate, one must look elsewhere.

The polls and surveys reported in the media indicate that the majority of Thai people support Gen. Prayuth and are happy with what he is doing.

Anything is better than the constant televised 24/7 blathering of Suthep, the blockades, the botched election, the endless lawsuits and counter-suits and endless speeches on the perils of the Shiniwatra clan. I was actually happy when Gen. Prayuth blacked out TV broadcasts for three days because I didn't have to listen to Suthep's ravings anymore. Peace, at last. Finally it's all over. Now we have peace and happiness and harmony. The non stop media reports about the crackdown on corruption reinforces this feeling. Everything will be OK now.

I understand now.

• Like 1

More of this "too stupid to vote" yellow BS. I made many trips to Isan over the past 3 years, and the economy has really taken off there. True, maybe the rice scheme could have been done better. But it put money into the hands of the farmers, who could then spend it in the towns, creating jobs there too. Not such a "bad" policy.

Going back in time to another "red" party, look at the 30 baht healthcare scheme.

Maybe there was corruption, but what was the other side if not more corrupt? Is it "stupid" not to want to see your tax dollars disappear down to Bangkok to be spent on "good people", never to return. Furthermore, if a party loses election after election, but instead of reinventing themselves, they rely on undemocratic means (contrary to their name) to get back into power, then does that not make them beneath contempt?

From the perspective of a rural Thai voter, who is the "wrong" party?

I guess from the perspective of the Thai rural voter the wrong party is the one which promised them riches, left them poor and the country with a 700+= billion Baht debt on 'rice' only.

Mind you, in a normal democracy that is. In Thailand people don't seem to have the insight and ideas of have things could be if only one would be able to be self-reliant, independent of the big bosses.

So, please input for the NRC and the CDC.

On 20 May 2014, in what is described as a partial repeal of the 2007 constitution, Prayuth Chan-ocha, the Commander in Chief of the Royal Thai Army, invoked the Act proclaimed 27 August 2457 B.E. (A.D. 1914) as part of the administrative reforms of King Vajiravudh (Rama VI) entitled Martial Law, B.E. 2457 (1914) (as amended in 1942, 1944, 1959, and 1972.)

This law will always remain in Thailand. It is needed to protect the institutions of the nation, and it was the legal basis for this most recent coup.

TIT

i remind rice farmers and rubber farmers rallied several times against the government before the coup

but i also remind they protested again in the last days..and they were told to...be happy..sleeping in the street is not confortable

""I'm not afraid [of protests] but I don't want to see a waste [of your time]," he said in his weekly Returning Happiness to the People TV programme. - See more at http://www.thephuketnews.com/prayuth-asks-farmers-to-forget-rallies-ahead-of-planting-47908.php#sthash.0KzlSiqR.dpuf

year right for this man protesting is a waste of time enough said

The bitter Thaksin fan boys just can't accept anything positive if it is not done by their dear desert hideaway leader can they, getting really tiring now. GET OVER IT ! He is not coming back no matter how much you continue to bitch and whine about it. Look forward to the future and see the country is heading to a much better place with him out of the picture. You must all be sick in the heads to keep longing for Takky's return, he was very bad for the country and it is a huge relief for the vast majority his tyranny has ended. The military did what it must and is continuing to do what it must for the sake of the country and to save the people from the endless cycle of spiteful rich people playing with other people's lives for their own amusement....

• Like 1

Yes, It is at the moment the only government Thailand has. By design it is a temporary measure brought on by the state of emergency. A proper government framework with all the window dressings needs to be implemented. This is not only for it to function in the long term but also for appearances sake. The polls indicate the Thai public overwhelmingly support Gen. Prayuth for the position of PM. I can't argue with the polls. He will be elected by a unanimous landslide victory.

"Elections can then be held under a new constitution which will prohibit any future elected government from having any power, which will permanently reside in the hands of unelected "good people" who are accountable to no-one but each other".

You left out the most important part of my original statement; "jeopardizing the nation and its institutions". Do a little research on the Finland incident to find out why.

You are wrong to say that these good people are accountable to no one but themselves. Most of them are or will be military or former military and if you were to ask any one of them they will tell you where their allegiance lies.

"I thought the party line was that the junta was officially neutral and had nothing to do with Suthep"

Yeah I am sure he will be, unfortunately apart from 200 members of the NLA, appointed by the military, no other Thai will have any say in the matter. Not to mention there probably are no other candidates. For landlside victories obtained from the Thai electorate, one must look elsewhere.

The polls and surveys reported in the media indicate that the majority of Thai people support Gen. Prayuth and are happy with what he is doing.

Anything is better than the constant televised 24/7 blathering of Suthep, the blockades, the botched election, the endless lawsuits and counter-suits and endless speeches on the perils of the Shiniwatra clan. I was actually happy when Gen. Prayuth blacked out TV broadcasts for three days because I didn't have to listen to Suthep's ravings anymore. Peace, at last. Finally it's all over. Now we have peace and happiness and harmony. The non stop media reports about the crackdown on corruption reinforces this feeling. Everything will be OK now.

I understand now.

One would think that if you want to avoid Suthep, one could simply change the channel :)

Opinion polls are of course not the same thing as elections. I personally doubt everyone is happy and I suspect that happiness and harmony you speak off is not truly a reality.

• Like 1

Actually, abolishing the constitution (in which the position of the head of state is described) would in itself be LM.

Well, thank you for your professional opinion on this legal matter. Pray tell, what details may one find in the description of the Martial Law ?

I wasn't taking about a legal matter of course. Are you suggesting that the abolishing of the 1997 constitution was legal, or is it just a case of laws being changed to make it legal retroactively ?

Are you incapable of sticking to a topic? What's next an even older constitution? The 1932 version maybe? Now if you really want to discuss LM ... ...

The 1997 constitution is of course very relevant to the topic at hand.

I have no desire to discuss LM, I only want to point out that Thailand isn't an absolute monarchy anymore.

More of this "too stupid to vote" yellow BS. I made many trips to Isan over the past 3 years, and the economy has really taken off there. True, maybe the rice scheme could have been done better. But it put money into the hands of the farmers, who could then spend it in the towns, creating jobs there too. Not such a "bad" policy.

Going back in time to another "red" party, look at the 30 baht healthcare scheme.

Maybe there was corruption, but what was the other side if not more corrupt? Is it "stupid" not to want to see your tax dollars disappear down to Bangkok to be spent on "good people", never to return. Furthermore, if a party loses election after election, but instead of reinventing themselves, they rely on undemocratic means (contrary to their name) to get back into power, then does that not make them beneath contempt?

"More of this "too stupid to vote" yellow BS."
Yes, indeed.
"I made many trips to Isan over the past 3 years, and the economy has really taken off there."
Yes, the economy had taken off everywhere in rural Thailand.
"True, maybe the rice scheme could have been done better."
It was an absolute disaster. Vietnam had a bumper crop, India which had never exported rice before started dumping rice on the international market and corruption was not properly controlled. In the end it was sabotaged by legal maneuvers which prevented Yingluck's caretaker government from paying the farmers. After the coup Prayuth paid them in the blink of an eye.
"But it put money into the hands of the farmers, who could then spend it in the towns, creating jobs there too."
Yes, this is seldom mentioned by either yellow or red sympathizers. It had a tremendous stimulus effect on the economy. More than 100% of the received payments went back into the Thai economy. The farmers spent it all and then some more on credit. They took pride in working for it. I doubt a subsidy will provide the same level of pride that the pledging scheme did.
"Not such a "bad" policy."
To understand why it was perceived as a "bad" policy it might be helpful to look into the historical animosity between the traditional elite rice millers and the CPT. Communism didn't work out too well for the CPT and many gravitated to TRT and later PTP. The fact that it was touted as a bad policy IMO had nothing to do with corruption, rice, or how much was paid to farmers for it. That was all fluff for public consumption. It was all about a perceived threat to the institutions of the nation that dates back to the early 1960's.
" look at the 30 baht healthcare scheme."
Yes, it has improved everyone's life in Thailand immeasurably.
"Maybe there was corruption, but what was the other side if not more corrupt?"
Yes, there was corruption. Corruption is endemic in Thailand and something needs to be done about it if the country can ever hope to progress. However, the coup was not about the rice scheme, or corruption. IMO it was instigated by perceived threats to national security and the institutions of the nation.
"From the perspective of a rural Thai voter, who is the "wrong" party?"
That is a very good question. In the situation we find Thailand now, the answer simply doesn't matter. The wrong party is the one whose intentions are perceived as a threat to national security and the institutions of the nation.
  • Like 2

I guess from the perspective of the Thai rural voter the wrong party is the one which promised them riches, left them poor and the country with a 700+= billion Baht debt on 'rice' only.

Mind you, in a normal democracy that is. In Thailand people don't seem to have the insight and ideas of have things could be if only one would be able to be self-reliant, independent of the big bosses.

"left them poor and the country with a 700+= billion Baht debt on 'rice' only."

Can we please verify this figure?

Stop trolling around.

Even you should understand that in the context of Egypt there is a difference between saying "better than the government they replaced" than just a general "better than an elected government, right?"

You stated "More like 'better than the government they replaced'.", which suggests that a military government killing over a thousand protesters and using the judiciary to sentence hundreds of others to death is better than the government they toppled in a coup. Now if your intent was to disagree with my choice of words, you should have chosen your words better.

But it isn't pertinent to this topic, the circumstances in Egypt were, and still are, very different from Thailand.

My dear Brucy, our past 'discussions' have made it clear to me that you have no intent to even try admit you don't feel a need to understand what I wrote as long as it doesn't fit your agenda.

My intent was to disagree indeed as the Egypt situation described was about one government slightly better than the previous one. That had nothing at all to do with 'an elected government'. That was something you just tried to insert as part of your agenda.

You don't need to fear though, I will not try to make you understand. For some ignorance seems to be bliss.

Regarding your first paragraph, do you want me to reference some of your meandering, confused, ungrammatical sentences in your past posts?

Regarding the second paragraph, were you unaware that the government the Egyptian military toppled was elected (Mohamed Morsi received 51.7% of the votes for president)?

This leads to your third paragraph, assuming you were unaware of the elected nature of the Egyptian government toppled in a coup, are you sure you want to accuse others of ignorance?

I understand now.

Exactly right opinion !

Enough of endless b s.

Time for peace .

All those "political" argues on this site are same like those in the past where money and power hungry did.

More countries in the world should deserve a fellow like Gen, Prayuth. even developed countries where people suffer a different way .

Anyone wishes to have different scenario ? Just wander what would finally happened if there was no coup ...???

Probably more bloodshed and who knows what else???

What is wrong with "cleaning" he is doing now ? (all those mafia's etc.) there was no money for farmers before ... and somehow they could be paid because of him...???

I think this list can be much bigger in the future.

Anyway who is perfect in this world??

Humanity really are not designed for full freedom anyway....look into the history...

Maybe it is the time to have stronger leader then weak and corrupted elected government.

What I value most in Gen. Prayuth speeches is that ;

He is always calling his own people for reconciliation for all citizens and not like previous who's speeches was dividing them.

Time will show .....

Budda said " why to be worry about future if we do not know the future...giggle.gif

Have nice Thai day in PEACE .wai.gif

coffee1.gif

Edited by gigman
  • Like 1

"Gen. Prayuth has also won the hearts of the Thai people"

Just not their vote.

But you can't really blame Prayuth for not allowing an election just for the PM position. I don't think the EC could organize an election in six months. Hopefully, the NLA won't go through the absurdity of doing an actual vote tally - just go with a voice vote. I can't imagine anyone willing to shout out "nay" after having been approved by the NCPO/NRC to be an NLA member.

"Gen. Prayuth has also won the hearts of the Thai people"

Just not their vote.

But you can't really blame Prayuth for not allowing an election just for the PM position. I don't think the EC could organize an election in six months. Hopefully, the NLA won't go through the absurdity of doing an actual vote tally - just go with a voice vote. I can't imagine anyone willing to shout out "nay" after having been approved by the NCPO/NRC to be an NLA member.

All Thais love and vote for Gen Prayuth as PM.

He won the PM seat fair and square with >80 passing mark published by Thai poll.

He did a very good job running the country.

Thank you Gen Prayuth.

Edited by chotthee

His agenda? You mean you don't know? tjeez, the poor chap is on life television for hours every day. Don't you watch television?

Anyway the voting is not a façade, but according to the interim constitution

"Section 19. The King appoints the Prime Minister in accordance with the resolution of the National Legislative Assembly and not more than thirty-five other Ministers as recommended by the Prime Minister to constitute the Council of Ministers having the duties to carry out the administration of State affairs, to conduct reformation in all aspects and to strengthen unification and harmonization of Thai people."

Don't you love the quoted section 19 of the interim constitution Rubl ?

I like the buz words and marketing talk. Especially the "strengthen unification and harmonization of Thai people"

Unfortunately the subjects being unified and harmonized have absolutely no say in the matter.

Good observation.

The marketing talk assumes that repression and reconciliation are the same thing.

Old soldiers probably think that they are. Why would they know any differently?

• Like 1

"left them poor and the country with a 700+= billion Baht debt on 'rice' only."

Can we please verify this figure?

Cannot be verified or dismissed.

Impossible to know until all stockpiled rice is sold. My assumption is this figure is bandied about by people not so much for propaganda, as to disguise the soon-to-be "rescue" of 200 billion by selling the stockpile at a tremendous loss to the "good men" of the country. It will never be mentioned that the "good men" will then gradually make a enormous profit disposing of the rice at market rate.

Or am I just too suspicious?

Interesting that the subject line uses the words "Prayuth" and "Voted" in the same sentence. Recent events have shown the two words to be contradictions.

In any case, what difference does it make who the PM is? Mere window dressing, or a veneer of decency. The dodgy new constitution ensures that the NCPO (Prayuth) get the final say no matter what.

'dodgy'?

May I remind you that the interim constitution is the law of the land, with H.M. the King graciously pleased to proclaim it?

I think dodgy sums it up correctly.

http://www.hrw.org/news/2014/07/24/thailand-interim-constitution-provides-sweeping-powers

According to the Human Rights Watch, there are many areas of concern with the new constitution. While "transparency" is the buzzword of the new regime, the reality is somewhat different:

“Instead of paving the way for a return to democratic, civilian rule, the Thai junta has granted itself unchecked authority to do almost anything it wants, including committing rights abuses with impunity.”

and concludes with:

“The NCPO’s claims that the interim constitution is essential for restoring electoral democracy and civilian rule in Thailand are a façade for continuing control by the junta,” Adams said. “By tightening their control, the generals are backtracking on their repeated promises to restore democracy in Thailand. This is a charter for dictatorship.”

• Like 2

His agenda? You mean you don't know? tjeez, the poor chap is on life television for hours every day. Don't you watch television?

"Section 19. The King appoints the Prime Minister in accordance with the resolution of the National Legislative Assembly and not more than thirty-five other Ministers as recommended by the Prime Minister to constitute the Council of Ministers having the duties to carry out the administration of State affairs, to conduct reformation in all aspects and to strengthen unification and harmonization of Thai people."

I like the buz words and marketing talk. Especially the "strengthen unification and harmonization of Thai people"

Unfortunately the subjects being unified and harmonized have absolutely no say in the matter.

Good observation.

The marketing talk assumes that repression and reconciliation are the same thing.

Well I am a youngish "old soldier" and I don't think that peace, harmony and reconciliation can be achieved with a magazine of 20 rounds. Been tried umpteen times all over the world and never works,never.

What you can do with your guns is make the population do what they are told. But you can't make them think what they are told. Sooner or later, if you persist in controlling your people by threat of force enough of them will get pissed off, an then you risk being chased down the road by a gang of them waving machetes!

Old soldiers who think realise this.

• Like 1

Good observation.

Well I am a youngish "old soldier" and I don't think that peace, harmony and reconciliation can be achieved with a magazine of 20 rounds. Been tried umpteen times all over the world and never works,never.

What you can do with your guns is make the population do what they are told. But you can't make them think what they are told. Sooner or later, if you persist in controlling your people by threat of force enough of them will get pissed off, an then you risk being chased down the road by a gang of them waving machetes!

Many of the young soldiers are conscripts from Isaan.

Good observation.

Isn't it terrible from morning to night we are threatened, with army, every otherday I am escorted to Tesco with a gun at my head. I need a pass to go out of my county, For Thai people they must be terrified.giggle.gif

Good observation.

Many of the young soldiers are conscripts from Isaan.

Which probably weighs on the minds of some of the old soldiers rather a lot!

• Like 1

i heard many fooled Yingluck because her english command is poor

what about Prayuth

cant wait to see a meeting with Obama Merkel Hollande...and Prayuth talking about his weekly "returning happiness to the people"

Edited by kaobang

Interesting that the subject line uses the words "Prayuth" and "Voted" in the same sentence. Recent events have shown the two words to be contradictions.

In any case, what difference does it make who the PM is? Mere window dressing, or a veneer of decency. The dodgy new constitution ensures that the NCPO (Prayuth) get the final say no matter what.

'dodgy'?

May I remind you that the interim constitution is the law of the land, with H.M. the King graciously pleased to proclaim it?

I think dodgy sums it up correctly.

http://www.hrw.org/news/2014/07/24/thailand-interim-constitution-provides-sweeping-powers

According to the Human Rights Watch, there are many areas of concern with the new constitution. While "transparency" is the buzzword of the new regime, the reality is somewhat different:

“Instead of paving the way for a return to democratic, civilian rule, the Thai junta has granted itself unchecked authority to do almost anything it wants, including committing rights abuses with impunity.”

and concludes with:

“The NCPO’s claims that the interim constitution is essential for restoring electoral democracy and civilian rule in Thailand are a façade for continuing control by the junta,” Adams said. “By tightening their control, the generals are backtracking on their repeated promises to restore democracy in Thailand. This is a charter for dictatorship.”

So, what would you like as interim constitution? How much time should be spent on an interim constitution? Will you accept if the NCPO takes a year to get an interim constitution together after which the NLA and NRC/CDC can get started?

Do you simple want the 'old' constitution with all the politicians again? Well, that has been ruled out. They had their chance and made a mess of it.

We'll have the CDC to either improve the 2007 constitution (even Publicus said it was faulty, based on the faulty 1997 version), or write a completely new one. Unlikely, I expect a lot to be the same, but with major safeguards to ensure peoples freedom and self-entitlement and some extras to make politicians and government more clearly accountable.