Woman falls onto BTS Mo Chit tracks

webfact

Interesting to note that some TV members were saying that installing barriers and gates at every station was a waste of money and when has anyone ever fallen on the tracks.

wasn't me. But I do ask why do they have them at ALL stations? Surely cannot be a cost issue.

But then again, escalators and lifts seemed to be designed by the same way. Some have them, some don't.

I think you mean 'not' have them at all stations.

From what I've seen they are gradually rolling them out on a station-by-station basis. My local station (On Nut) got them quite a while after Siam.

• Like 1

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I have always wonder if there is electric current flowing within the steel tracks.

Electricity is supplied by the elevated "rail" in the center.

Could only see 2 rails in this pic-------- so wheres the "elevate3d middle rail?".She would be lying on top of it!!!!!!!

MOR CHIT STATION
Accident prompts BTS to look into screen option

30241273-01_big.jpg

BANGKOK: -- After a woman fell onto the tracks at Mor Chit BTS station on Tuesday, a top BTS executive said the company would look into putting up platform screens at all Skytrain stations.

Dr Anat Arbhabhirama, chairman of the service's management committee, said platform screen doors had been installed at nine BTS stations but it had yet to install them at the Mor Chit station because it was going to be extended. After this accident, he said, the company would certainly consider putting up platform screens at all stations.

The woman identified as Warunrat Kanpan "Dew", an entertainment anchor for Channel 3, sustained slight injuries to her leg and hip.

Anat said guards at the station were able to turn off the electricity, suspend the service and remove Warunrat from the tracks before sending her to Kasemrat Prachachuen Hospital. Warunrat said she lost her balance because of dizziness.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/national/Accident-prompts-BTS-to-look-into-screen-option-30241273.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2014-08-19

I have always wonder if there is electric current flowing within the steel tracks.

Electricity is supplied by the elevated "rail" in the center.

Could only see 2 rails in this pic-------- so wheres the "elevate3d middle rail?".She would be lying on top of it!!!!!!!

The elevated 3rd rail is insulated on top and sides and is two feet in front of her head. A shoe suspended from the power unit picks up the voltage. I believe the London system is not so secure?

Touch that rail and you will smell bad.

She got lucky, thank to the guards.

I wouldn't call that luck, more like diligent guards and doing a fine job,............. but I know that's what you mean. Great to see a story with a good outcome.

Edited by dotpoom
  • Like 1

Cause of fall is too much attention given to the smartphone?

Read the article, she fainted

Let's not confuse people by referencing what was actually written. Here at the Farang Fantasy Factory imagining it was some careless behavior is better suited for fact-free posting and ego-enhancing Thai bashing.

Edited by Suradit69
  • Like 1

How can one faint and fall off the platform, unless one is standing at the edge, beyond the yellow line.

how tall are you? measure half that distance - now fall over. see if you cover that distance. lol

One's legs will crumble on a faint, and not rigid. From the photo, her centre of gravity is near to the outer rail and not the inner one.

I would expect her to be lying closer to the inner rail, rather than the outer one, unless she had leaped during the fall to avoid the sharp edges near to the inner rail.

Bangkok is very well served by BTS workers. They are efficient, unfailingly polite and a credit to Thailand. This woman should buy a lottery ticket, lucky.

Wait till you encounter an abusively over-zealous security guard and you'll have some reservations.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

according to online info the bts 3rd rail is only 750 volts, not sure it is enough to wake up someone from sabai sabai mental status ?

Only 750 volts will kill you , in many cases the current is DC as in London Underground, which is only 440 positive ,that will kill you stone dead

The electric current is not on the wheel tracks, but on the gray track in the middle of the lanes and protected by a cover accessible only from bellow.... see the picture

attachicon.gifThai_Skytrain.jpg

It could be possible that the power to the train is induced and not actually by conductors making direct contact. If this is so, the "gray track" would be insulated and there would be no exposed electricity for anyone to come in contact with. An actual electrical engineer with experience in this field could confirm or deny this.

Edited by shanahan

Bangkok is very well served by BTS workers. They are efficient, unfailingly polite and a credit to Thailand. This woman should buy a lottery ticket, lucky.

No, those guards are irritating little pricks with their army boots and over-zealous whistle blowing - they are completely pointless, standing there all day, blowing their &lt;deleted&gt; whistle if I get too close to the tracks - bitch! Don't tell me how to stand near metro line rails, WE INVENTED THE &lt;deleted&gt; THINGS!

• Like 1

How can one faint and fall off the platform, unless one is standing at the edge, beyond the yellow line.

How can you ask such a stupid question, it happened. Why don't you try it?

• Like 1

Channel 3 reporter passes out in between railway tracks

799956-wpcf_728x413.jpg

BANGKOK: -- A Channel 3 female reporter and announcer passed out and fell in between the railway tracks while waiting to board the train at the BTS Morchit station this morning.

The incident happened at about 8.30 a.m. Tuesday.

The reporter identified later as Miss Warunrat Kalaphand, 27, was standing at the platform when she suddenly passed out and fell in between the rail tracks.

Fortunately she was seen by other passengers and security guards.

Power supply to the railroad was cut and a guard quickly ran to the tracks and remove her out before the train would arrive.

She was later admitted to Kasemrat Prachachuen hospital.

She was neither injured nor suffered any broken bones or bruises. But doctor advised her to stay overnight to check.

She told reporters that she boarded BTS train to work as usual but felt dizzy while waiting for the train.

She tried to walk back to the station but could not make it, and passed out.

(Photo : Internet)

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/channel-3-reporter-passes-railway-tracks/

thaipbs_logo.jpg

-- Thai PBS 2014-08-19

That's a very long way out to fall, upon collapsing via fainting.... a slumping body usually falls where it is, falls backwards under fainting conditions as knees give way, and drops or bounces off what it falls upon within a short distance, even in a 10ft fall. That's a rather strange display of body condition, under such circumstances..... is this for real, or a publicity stunt. Eitherway, I'm glad she didn't suffer, and the guards displayed super training and alertness!

Edit: there are times I've used the BTS when not busy, and stood at the front of the arrow (the get in one)... and guard has appeared and motioned move back. One gets a bit peeved... thinking, well I'm not stupid.. which, of course, is wrong. The guards are very good on the system, and do have understanding of the dangers... I wish it was like that at all stations AND INSIDE all trains....

sigh

The electric current is not on the wheel tracks, but on the gray track in the middle of the lanes and protected by a cover accessible only from bellow.... see the picture

attachicon.gifThai_Skytrain.jpg

It could be possible that the power to the train is induced and not actually by conductors making direct contact. If this is so, the "gray track" would be insulated and there would be no exposed electricity for anyone to come in contact with. An actual electrical engineer with experience in this field could confirm or deny this.

It is possible to supply power to an electric train by inductive coupling. This allows the use of a high-voltage, insulated, conductor rail. Such a system was patented in 1894 by Nikola Tesla, US Patent 514972.[28] It requires the use of high-frequency alternating current. Tesla did not specify a frequency but George Trinkaus[29] suggests that around 1,000 Hz would be likely.

Inductive coupling is widely used in low-power applications, such as re-chargeable electric toothbrushes. The contactless technology for rail vehicles is currently being marketed by Bombardier as PRIMOVE.[30]

From the pic the BTS appears to be a Third rail system;

I am only versed in the UK (28 years railway service) most railways around the world (with the exception of Diesel/Steam) operate on Overhead AC which in the UK is energized to 25KV or 25,000 volts AC, our rules and Regs warns us not to go within 9ft of live OHLE (Over Head Line Equipment) as it can arc off and earth (ground) through you (the guys who work on the stuff are trained to work to 2ft away..., not on your nelly mate!) people normally die from the severe burns caused by this type of electrocution.

Other systems are the 3rd and 4th rail systems which are normally energized at between 750 - 1300 volts DC (Direct Current) slightly differant here, if you do not touch it you are safe, if touch it then you will be electrocuted, this sort of grabs you, sometimes animals are caught by it and you end up with a bbq dog or what ever. have no illusions it can kill you stone dead instantly but is survivable also.

The best thing we ever learned when training for Overheads or 3/4th rail systems was TFA - Touch Fo ok All! thats all you need to know lads... thumbsup.gif

Edited by Lokie

Nonsense.

Have you ever experienced vertigo? If she was in motion, therefor some degree of momentum, the position where she lay, as seen in the photo, is totally plausible. She could have been staggering until she fell.

I have had sudden attacks of vertigo, and one does NOT just drop on the spot.

The way the electric trains usually work is the line is not energised initially.

The main engine and carriages must cover a predetermined "dead" section first and then that section energises.

Uncle of mine drove them in Australia.

Inexperienced drivers many times had to call another engine from the main base to come and give them a shove

as they failed to keep enough momentum to carry them over this "dead section" of track.

zBpZT0h.jpg
27 year old Miss Warunrat Kalaphand recovering in hospital [Thairath]

She was initially taken to the ICU at BKK's Kasemrat Prachachuen hospital for tests. Examination of her blood revealed low glucose levels thought to be due to her having skipped breakfast which doctors think was the cause of her fainting.
She was also given an ECG, X-rays and a CT scan of her head, which all came back normal but was advised to stay at the hospital for a couple of days for observation.
Must have had good health insurance to cover all that. Back in the UK under the NHS, you'd probably have to endure a couple of hours wait in AE followed by a couple of aspirin before you were sent on your way.

Edited by katana