Eye infections increase during the monsoon season in Thailand

webfact

Eye infections increase during the monsoon season

NAKHON RATCHASIMA, 20 August 2014 (NNT) – The Office of Disease Prevention and Control Region 5 has warned members of the public to be aware of eye infections over the monsoon season.

Conjunctivitis or “pink eye” has affected an increasing number of people in Thailand due to the heat and humidity during the season. The infection causes an inflammation of the outer eye membrane and has been on the rise recently.

Dr. Teerawat Walaisatian, the ODC Region 5 Director, has disclosed that about 80,000 patients are suffering with conjunctivitis nationwide. The youngest infected was only a 28 day-old infant. Parents and members of the public are advised to be extra cautious and maintain good hygiene habits.

With the monsoon rains arriving in Thailand, people across the country are advised to protect themselves against a host of seasonal illnesses.

The Office of Disease Prevention and Control is already reporting a rise in the number of patients with the pink eye condition.

Members of the public should take precautions to avoid contracting the disease and have good medical coverage for additional protection.

Ophthalmologists have warned that people who wear contact lenses for extended periods are particularly susceptible to allergic papillary conjunctivitis, which develops as a result of an allergic reaction.

The following tips help prevent the spread of pinkeye:

Wash your hands often.
Do not share towels, linen, pillows, or handkerchiefs. Use clean linen, towels, and washcloths daily.
When in the wind, heat, or cold, wear eye protection to prevent eye irritation.
Wear safety glasses when working with chemicals.
Do not use the same towel when wiping tears or discharge from the eyes, to avoid reinfecting yourself from the bacteria or virus on the towel.
Children should refrain from playing in stagnant water and remain indoors.

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2014-08-20 footer_n.gif

• Like 1

Wash your hands often. Especially when you're planning to eat sticky rice with your friends, when coming from the toilet, emptying your digestive system..
Do not share towels, linen, pillows, or handkerchiefs. Use clean linen, towels, and washcloths daily. Or use used toilet paper? Aeh recycled.
When in the wind, heat, or cold, wear eye protection to prevent eye irritation. But please don't put a plastic bag over your head! Oxygen.....
Wear safety glasses when working with chemicals. Have never seen anybody here wearing them. Where can people buy them? From America?
Do not use the same towel when wiping tears or discharge from the eyes, to avoid reinfecting yourself from the bacteria or virus on the towel. Buy more towels, but don't forget which one you've used for your toilet seat.
Children should refrain from playing in stagnant water and remain indoors. The government will close all schools that pupils can get bored playing games with their parents all day long.

Sent via Chinese high speed train from Shanghai

Edited by lostinisaan
  • Like 2

hahahha, SOAP

in most toilets you don't find any

and even there is, you still see people working in restaurants, taking a dump, comming out, and splashing some water on their hair & leaving

I don't know who is defecating or urinating as my potty-cam is out of,order. I carry my own hand soap/sanitizer and a small hand towel.

When I see the splash and dash technique, I change venues.

Expattaff1308, on 20 Aug 2014 - 17:36, said:

Typical Mockers, when the government are trying to make people aware!!

You can mock, but its quite painful and certainly uncomfortable, lets hope you dont become a sufferer!!

Mmm, your comment is #4, I fail to see anything in comments #1 2 or 3 that even hints at "mocking."

• Like 1

Additional a very simple method.

Always use the backside of your fingers to clean or rub your eyes. Less viruses and bacteria there, which both may cause conjunctivitis.

In case you do your own laundry, wash your towels hot or leave them in the suds for some time by turning the washing machine off.

Typical Mockers, when the government are trying to make people aware!!

You can mock, but its quite painful and certainly uncomfortable, lets hope you dont become a sufferer!!

It happens particulary in monsoon season... ? Any medical proof, of whatever eye-infection the OP refers to in the monsoon season alone?

This needs a headline?

Pinkeye need a headline. Honestly. Pink eye? What next.

Athletes foot? 5 years ago the country was preparing to be in an ocean waste deep, and pinkeye needs a headline.

I am not 100% but I am pretty sure Thailand with survive the scourge or wet season pinkeye.

Edited by Thai at Heart

Don't eat sticky rice from the same bamboo steamer! A few years ago the whole village that I live in had pinkeye, except for me, the only one here that doesn't eat sticky rice. I've always been amazed at watching the folks here, always wash their hands thoroughly after eating to get rid of the food/odor but rarely does anyone wash their hands before eating.

lostinisaan, on 20 Aug 2014 - 16:13, said:

Wash your hands often. Especially when you're planning to eat sticky rice with your friends, when coming from the toilet, emptying your digestive system..

Do not share towels, linen, pillows, or handkerchiefs. Use clean linen, towels, and washcloths daily. Or use used toilet paper? Aeh recycled.

When in the wind, heat, or cold, wear eye protection to prevent eye irritation. But please don't put a plastic bag over your head! Oxygen.....

Wear safety glasses when working with chemicals. Have never seen anybody here wearing them. Where can people buy them? From America?

Do not use the same towel when wiping tears or discharge from the eyes, to avoid reinfecting yourself from the bacteria or virus on the towel. Buy more towels, but don't forget which one you've used for your toilet seat.

Children should refrain from playing in stagnant water and remain indoors. The government will close all schools that pupils can get bored playing games with their parents all day long.

Unless you eat sticky rice with your eyes, then your comment is incorrect. It comes down to NOT touching/wiping your eyes with anything that could be contaminated, bearing in mind you cannot stop airport irritants that can cause conjunctivitis . http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Conjunctivitis

Very good tips. thank you.

Edited by rikimilton

I've got a bad dose of it at the moment. Does anyone know the cure for it?

I had it 15 years ago in Phuket. I thought I was going to go blind. I still have the bottle of eye drops the doctor gave me.

Spersapolymyxin / contents = Polymyxin B, Neomycin

Best to see an eye doctor ASAP IMHO.