Quick And Dirty Dstv (ubc) Distribution

MinutePigglet

Hello TV Viewers,

So you've got UBC installed in your living room and you want to pipe in into the boudoir... easier said than done in the land of smiles; but not all that hard either.

Thank Buddha that electronics is a universal language.

In short, you'll need to extend the RF signal out of the back of the UBC box via RG-6 cable. This connector needs to be female. It's mia not pua--no matter what they tell you.

From here you can go directly to the back of a second TV; or split the signal into several rooms of the house. Physics comes into play as the longer the cable and the more splits the greater the signal loss (attenuation). For the most part, however, with Thai homes the size they are you probably won't need an amplifier.

NOTE: all secondary TVs need to be tuned to a certain UHF channel to pick up the Dstv signal. The picture will be crystal clear. If not, check your cabling.

The catch here is that unless you buy a second DStv decoder, all TV's on this wire will be watching the same channel. This is not entirely true, however...

If you once had "agaat teewee," then you probably have an antenna somewhere. Run that cable into the back of your first TV (in the antenna port). With this configuration, The mia Thai can watch free TV whist the boys enjoy the Discovery Channel in the study with Col. Mustard and the candlestick. Too bad there's no playboy channel, but Chic can offer a odd tingle now and then.

QUESTION ONE: How do the hotels do it? It's impractical to purchase a decoder for every TV in a hotel. I'm guesing there is some licensing arrangement made with UBC. Anybody know?

QUESTION TWO: The situation above does not take into account the need to scream downstairs everytime one wants the channel changed. In order to use the UBC remote in the other room, you have to extend the infrared signal out to each room where you have a TV.

This can done by implementing an infrared repeater system or an IR to RF coverter system both of which can be found easily at place like Crutchfield in the States (and I'm sure elsewhere in the world; but then we're not there anymore, are we? :o

Anybody know where to pick these up in Thailand (CNX even better)? I've actually located the engineering and manufacturing division in Krung Thep for Buffalo Electronics (+66-02-801-7698). The problem is that the sales office is in North Carolina, and no one wants to sell out of the Bangkok office (a-holes).

Well, that's it for now. I look forward to scintillating and informative discussions on this winsome application of technology. Anyone, providing hard evidence of actual synaptic activity might be rewarded with a Beer Chang (with ice) at the lean-to of their choice.

Thanks and Regards,

M. Pigglet

"Don't forget to smile." :D

This is illegal practice and are not recommendable!

Dear One-eyed Blinking George,

Please, there is no need for paranoia. There is nothing illegal about extending the signal out of your DStv box. I've spoken with UBC about it, and they actually told me how to do it--vaguely.

At present, they just don't want subscribers trying to get different channels without the purchase of an additional decoder, which is not easy nor legal nor the topic of this post.

DStv distribution is completely legal and worthwhile if you have more than one TV.

So, again...

1) How do the hotels do it? Not planning on doing it (I don't have a hotel). Just curious.

2) Any info on where to buy IR repeaters in Thailand?

Sawasdee Krub,

M. Pigglet

1) They have a "block" of receivers, one per channel, piping out multiple concurrent channels to the same wire. It's called SMATV, you can search for details on Google.

2) Tukcom in Si Racha has a shop where they sell all sorts of Radioshack-style gadgets. They might (then again, TIT...)

Hotels do indeed have a seperate receiver for every channel they want to pipe to the rooms...The resulting decoded video/audio signals from each decoder is then fed into RF modulaters, tuned to a different channel(frequency) for each decoder. The resulting bunch of RF signals (each on their coax cable) is then fed into a multiplexer which puts everything on one coax, that coax goes to the rooms, suppported by the necesary splitters and amplifiers...

This system is used for Free to Air signals picked up from sattelites as well as the subscriber signals from UBC.

The fee paid to ubc is based on how many channels you want to use and how many rooms your hotel has. Thats why you see a lot of hotels with a lot of free TV (for which they have their own dishes and receivers) and as a bonus a couple of the more popular UBC channels.

It is indeed legal to distribute the decoded signal to as much rooms as you like in your home for private purposes, but it would be illegal to do so in a public place. It even is illegal to use a regular UBC package in any public place, meaning maybe 95% of the bars showing ubc are using it illegal...

Please note that UBC offers a second decoder installed in the same residence (including subscriber card) for the steeply reduced price of approx. 460 Baht/month. Then of course you can view whatever channel you like on both receivers.

As for the remote control repeaters, i've seen them on display in most shops selling sattelite dishes, I bought one from the UBC dealer in Pattaya (who also does all the other sattelite installation ) Equipment for these multiplexing system is sold by most big sattelite installation shops...

Guest IT Manager

I am so incensed I am going to make enquiries for you Naught E. Piggie.

Then when I have the necessary info, I will immediately mail you that info and we can gather at the river and drink 2 (two only) Changs.

BTW I am incensed after our neigbour lit up a bunch of joss sticks for some reason.

the sattelite kabel can also be split is you have two decoders in the house.

You probably need a uds switch (or something similar , sorry forgot the name) that can swith the sattelite channel.

Or you can also install a second LNB on your dish to receive another sattelite at the same time which uses a second cable.

In europe i could get ASTRA en HOTBIRD like that. I don't think you can get Thaicom (ubc) twice because the lnb's would need to be inline which is pratically impossible.

By the way are there any shops in thailand that sell Sattelite dishes and digital receivers without it has something to do with ubc? Not the really big ones you see everywhere but the standard 80 cm dish?

B

Zen,

for splitting the UBC signal, you would only need to split the signal from one LNB since all the channels are on the same polarization ( except some free educational channels)...Only one thing you have to look at is that the receiver on the power pass side of the splitter always is connected to the power supply since this will be the powersource for the LNB...

Yes most sattelite shops sell dishes and receivers for digital sattelite channels, in fact you're free to buy one if you want to receive UBC programming... it saves you some 160 baht monthly since the UBC price is made up a receiver rental fee and a programming fee... you only have to make sure your receiver accepts irdeto smart cards (UBC is Irdeto2 encoded)

Hi madsere,

here you find almost every channel in the world with frequency, type of encryption polarisation ect. lyngsat.com

Hi monty,

What i meant was. Are there sattelite shops in that sell standard equipment like dish switches and different brands of digital receivers with pcmcia flash cards ect ..

And maybe even flash programmers ?? :o I could get them over the net but is easyer if you have a shop nearby.

i had them before in Belgium so prefere to install myself then to pay ubc 10000 bath for putting up a dish. At least would be able to have a look at other sat's out here.

Thanks

Bart

Gents,

Excellent information! Thanks mucho.

Monty, you certainly know what you're talking about.

In Pattaya, they have cable for 300 baht! Here on the outskirts, there's a scarcity of fine things such as big sattelite installation shops (skirts for that matter too).

Perhaps, there's my reason to take a trip to the Eastern Seaboard.

BTW: UBC advertises the purchase of their equipment for about 11,900, but there's no specifics on if the dish is included and/or the reduced subscription rate.

Thanks again,

M. Pigglet

Hi Piglet,

You'll save 155.15 Baht/month on equipment rental fee.

Check out their pricing page:UBC pricing

The rental is waived if you own equipment... (and indeed not mentioned on the page you linked to)

They write folowing about what's included

Note: DStv receiver equipment includes: IRD, LNBF, CA Module, Smart Card, and Remote Control. All prices include VAT 7% and 1-year warranty for Smart Card and IRD, effective the day signal connection.

So it seems they forgot the dish, but included the LNB ???

Anyway, that price is cheap, since almost any digital receiver will set you back around 20,000 Baht.

The dish alone can be had around 1500 Baht including mounting materials...

Please note that the UBC receiver is specially produced for UBC and is almost useless if you want to reprogram it for receiving other stuff.

For example it only supports the Ku band, but most free to air programming available in asia is on the older C-band...

So you've got UBC installed in your living room and you want to pipe in into the boudoir...  easier said than done in the land of smiles; but not all that hard either..

In short, you'll need to extend the RF signal out of the back of the UBC box via RG-6 cable.

In addition to using the RG6 output you can also extend to other televisions or your computer (if you have a video input or a tv card in it ) using the Video out (yellow output) and Left & Right Audio Channel out.

This gives a good quality picture and left and right stereo sound. And allows UBC to be selected using the AV channel (s) on your 2nd or 3rd TV

You can also link these audio outputs to your hi-fi for better sounds for films, music etc.

Its all fairly straightforward stuff but a lot of people have just the unit installed and never look a the rear of it!

Infra red repeaters are available from all the install guys and repairs guys for typically around 1800 baht and they will install these for you for a few baht more. Just ask!

In addition to using the RG6 output you can also extend to other televisions or your computer (if you have a video input or a  tv card in it ) using the Video out (yellow output) and Left & Right Audio Channel out.

I'm not sure about the distance limations of the A/V outputs, but you've got a point, croftrobin.

Being a bit of an audiophile, I've got my A/V outputs going to:

1) My first TV using S-video and RCA L/R audio

2) My home theatre sound system using RCA L/R audio

Interestingly, UBC had a promotion a while back where they were touting home theatre sound. Well, now that I have it at home and have it hooked up, I realize that it's basically stereo with a subwoofer. At least that's how my SOKEN setup puts it out (the backs mimicking the fronts). It would require an additional sound processor, but I can't imagine DStv actually broadcasts in 5.1 audio. If it's possible, I'd love to know how to do it.

On S-video: I actually use component video out of my DVD; however I thought that using S-video might improve the picture quality of the UBC picture. However, it seems no different from the RCA video (yellow) connection. Any ideas?

Again, I'm really appreciative :o of all the great feedback on this thread.

Cheers,

M. Pigglet

Please note that UBC offers a second decoder installed in the same residence (including subscriber card) for the steeply reduced price of approx. 460 Baht/month. Then of course you can view whatever channel you like on both receivers.

Monty,

Another lingering question: a friend of mine said (and don't quote me on this) that he was told by UBC that if he had two decoders he'd have to pay double the subscription fee.

It sounds conspiratorial. Any experience on that regard?

Thanks,

M.P.

Not true...

Check out their pricing policy for Dstv, and note the price for the 2nd service point:

You still pay 155.15 Baht to rent the second receiver, but the gold package on the 2nd service point is only 282.48 Baht compared to 1412.97 Baht for the first service point...

http://www.ubctv.com/eng/GetUBC_Pricing.aspx

The second service point is supposed to be in the same residence, and the second decoder will be connected to the same sat dish.

What you do have to pay for on the second service point is the equipment deposit fee of 4000 Baht, and the installation fee of 7500 Baht (2000 less since no second sat dish needed).

At one time I had three double setup's like these (for 6 studio's in the same condominium) but returned 2 of them because they installed cable in the building since...

No problem whatsoever...

• 3 months later...

Dusting off an old thread but this is kinda similar to the question I had so hopefully the people who wrote this thread are still around...

We've just moved in to our apartment and I'm working out where to put the toys/gadgets/electrical appliances. In the ideal world, we would have a small TV in the kitchen so I can watch the news in the morning. Our last apartment was small enough that we could do this by just turning up the volume on the main TV but that won't work in this place.

The problem is, there is no TV outlet in the kitchen. The nearest outlet is in the bedroom but there is no internal connecting door between the bedroom and the kitchen. My original plan was to just run a cable from bedroom to kitchen but that would require connecting via the balcony which would require holes in the doors/wall to get the cable through which would create holes for Christopher Cockroach to crawl through and I wouldn't be popular if that happened... (and the landlord probably wouldn't be too happy with the holes either) So, is there a cheap and easy way to share the connection from one antenna outlet wirelessly? In other words, can I beam the signal from one room to another?

I'm not talking specifically about beaming UBC here (we have BBC World on free TV) but I guess the principle would be similar in any case.

I don't know if this is possible so maybe I'm being too hopeful here but I thought I may as well ask!

Thanks for any advice you can give on this.

P.S. we're in BKK so please give solutions that I can get here rather than in Europe/US. If I'd known about this, maybe I could have been better prepared before leaving Europe but hindisight is a wonderful thing...

Never use the RG6 coax cable. It's subject to much interference...over long distances (or even short) you'll see a ton of noise. RCA/Composite is pretty good, but s-video splits the color info from the black/white info and elimitates certain types of noise, most notably dot crawl. I really noticed quite an improvement with s-video.

They sell RF tv signal transmitters here in Thailand.

Most Electronics shops stock them.

These things consist of two units, in one unit (transmitter) you have A/V inputs and on the other unit(receiver) A/V outputs. If your main TV has A/V outputs, or you have a videorecorder with a built in tuner, you can hook it up to the transmitting unit. The receiving unit you hook up to the A/V inputs of the tv-set you want to view your morning news.

Signals can be transmitted maybe in a radius of 60 feet, plenty for appartments and small houses.

Madsere,

Don't know about BBC, I guess they're only broadcasting encrypted (even radio :o )

Chect out following for anything on asiasat2&3 (only c-band, footprint of Ku transponder doesn't cover Thailand)

http://www.asiasat.com/eng/02_satellites/channel_01.html

http://www.asiasat.com/eng/02_satellites/channel_03.html

BBC World Service is digital these days, but is free to air.

Check out the digital radio receivers mentioned in the For Sale section

I have been searching for RF TV transmitters for a while without success...

As I live without children etc I have no problem having only one channel at a time but have both PAL (through Thai systems) and NTSC output.. It seems easy to find an RF solution either in the US or Europe that takes one or the other but its really hard to find one that handles both...

Also its desirable if it does IR back to the base also as then I dont need to buy an IR distro setup to match..

BTW its impossible to find the BBC (1 and 2) broadcast via sat due to the way its paid for in licence fees (the UK consumer subsidising the rest of the world) it is found via some cable agreements (and fiscal payback) in some N European countries but unfortunately its never rebroadcast globally.. Shame as Sundays 'animal zone' and its sponsored indi style fiction are some of the few reasons to have a TV..

The really dedicated can start to anticipate IPTV (think 100Mbit lines though.. Not Thailand now)... I know people streaming UKTV live over the internet to Japan and Cali... Takes some fat pipe bandwidth though..

For those living in Pattaya (or needing a reason to go there :o )

The electronics shop on Theprasit road has these transmitters!

If you come from Sukhumvit, about one kilometer down the road on the righthand side (500 meters before that big go-kart track)

You recognize the shop from the big discotheque style speakers outside!

• 4 years later...

Reviving this older topic, I'm in need of a solution similar to a couple of posters above...regarding extending an existing UBC cable TV signal in my living room to a second television in my bedroom.

I have a two bedroom apartment in BKK...with a UBC cable outlet in the living room, and then a second TV in the bedroom, maybe 30 feet away, that currently is only using an over-the-air rabbit ears antenna. There is no current UBC cabling or connection in the bedroom.

I'd like to be able to split my current UBC feed and bring it into the bedroom. Just one channel, whatever's tuned in the living room would be OK, but a separate tuner would be better -- without having to pay a fortune to UBC in both set-up costs and additional monthly fees.

From what I know, there are a couple of ways to accomplish this, but I don't know how to execute them....

1. would be to run cable from the back of my living room UBC box to my bedroom TV. I have my landlord's permission to do that (they didn't want me to install a UBC Freeview small satellite dish that I'm entitled to from UBC). But the physical route is a bit contorted, and I'd want the cabling to be done neatly/professionally/permanently. So, I don't know who I could contact in BKK who could do such installation work.

2. there are RF transmitters for this purpose, but I don't know where to shop for them, or what model to seek, in BKK. One problem I also noticed, shopping for such models in the U.S., is there was a lot of talk about people's wireless computer networks (2.4 GHz) (which I have at home) creating interference on the commonly sold 2.4 GHz TV RF transmitters. So I see they also have some 5 GHz models in the U.S. now, but no idea about finding them here.

Any recommendations for WHO could do the cabling run for me in BKK, or what model and where to find 5 GHz RF transmitters, would be much appreciated.

Edited by jfchandler