Aperture is Dead, long live Lightroom?

wilcopops

I've been a user of Aperture for years and years, it is the basis of my photo management system (about 30,000 photos), and it meets most of my editing needs too.

Now Aperture is officially going to be laid to rest and "replaced" by the less comprehensive "Photos".

I've had Lightroom on my Mac for some time too, but the announcement by Mac of the cessation of Aperture has prompted me to start using it in earnest.

I must say it seems as good if not better than Aperture.

What are your opinions of Lightroom/Aperture/Photos? Which one will you be using?

..or do you use something else?

Capture One Pro for me. Compared it against every other RAW developer and feel it has the edge." Keystone" alignment tool and LCC tool is very good. Colour managenet and ICC profiling are outstanding. Definitely worth a look.

I use Lightroom as my image management system only.

Capture One Pro for me. Compared it against every other RAW developer and feel it has the edge." Keystone" alignment tool and LCC tool is very good. Colour managenet and ICC profiling are outstanding. Definitely worth a look.

I use Lightroom as my image management system only.

Just got Capture One Pro 7. Then the computer fell over (not because of the P1 software).

Had about 20mins with and found it tricky but RAW does seem better compared to LR.

^ preservere, it's well worth it. The important thing is to formulate a fluid interface. Unlike Lightroom with it's fixed format the Capture One interface is user defined and highly adjustable. Too much to cover here but PM me if you need to know more. One thing I would suggest it that you investigate the ICC profile and rather than employ the "generic" profile, scroll down to camera RGB and see the effect. It usually needs a shadow boost and maybe an increase in exposure but I favour it in most circumstances. Gives a rather muted colour effect and removes the OTT saturation and plasticky look of digital.

Hope this helps.

I'm finding Lightroom pretty good for whatI do....which is in part defined by nearly a decade on Aperture. I tend to think in terms of how can now I do what I did on Aperture on Lightroom. I have more or less the same plugins on both Aperture and L/R.

I'll give Capture 1 a go.....is it OK with other formats? I don't use RAW a lot although all my photos are in RAW and JPEG.

Does it have a good cataloguing system? - I trained on Photoshop so I'm not after a massively complex editing facility as I already have that on Photoshop if I need it. I like the quick and simple ways I can fluff things up with Aperture and a couple of plugins.

^ preservere, it's well worth it. The important thing is to formulate a fluid interface. Unlike Lightroom with it's fixed format the Capture One interface is user defined and highly adjustable. Too much to cover here but PM me if you need to know more. One thing I would suggest it that you investigate the ICC profile and rather than employ the "generic" profile, scroll down to camera RGB and see the effect. It usually needs a shadow boost and maybe an increase in exposure but I favour it in most circumstances. Gives a rather muted colour effect and removes the OTT saturation and plasticky look of digital.

Hope this helps.

WOW! This is better.

Working with Lightroom now (as part of adobe CC) it's especially great for managing my huge library.

Downloading Capture One trial to try it.

It's different to Lightroom, but you get used to it quickly.

I haven't found any adjustment brush function in Capture One Pro yet however and that is a superb tool in Lightroom 5.

I think the RAW proces engine in Capture One is better than Lightroom. Dynamic range adjustment and sRGB colour space as well as sharpening seem better. I'm finding the colour tool very ricky to understand though.

EDIT: Found the brush under Local Adjustments.

Edited by MJP

In the colour palette go to "skin" then select the colour (s) you wish to adjust. I find this method more intuitive.

You'll need to do this BEFORE you adjust to ICC profile to camera RGB.

Edited by fimgirl

In the colour palette go to "skin" then select the colour (s) you wish to adjust. I find this method more intuitive.

You'll need to do this BEFORE you adjust to ICC profile to camera RGB.

Is that 'Colour Editor' . . . 'Skintone'?

yes

Finding it a lot more difficult to manage colour channels in Capture One than Lightroom. In LR5 it's easy to pop colours. This seems to have a much more subtle and unpredictable response.

Capture One is a standalone RAW developer. The "developed" RAW image is output as either a TIFF or a Jpeg file of any size and dimension you elect, either direct to your desktop or to a proprietary TIFF/Jpeg recognising programme I.e. Photoshop, Lightroom etc. from which online sharing can be made. Capture One is not a DAM system and AFAIK direct online sharing is not available.

Hope this helps

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Online sharing is available in Lightroom 5.3, does it not have it on the version your using?

I asked if Capture one had internet sharing facilities.

What difference does it make if you can do it in lightroom anyway?

Not many lens profiles come with Capture One Pro but it seems making your own is fairly simple using the LCC (Lens Cast Correction) tool.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KBoSHz4kBKA

I found this kit . . .

http://www.captureonecomplete.com/uk/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=177:ulc&catid=36&Itemid=89

. . . includes a couple of semi-transparent white balance boards.

Don't know if cheaper white banance lens caps will do the same. I've ordered a cheapy ebay 58mm cap to see.

This may be an easy way to automatically correct range finder lens colour cast on the A7r (Leica M lenses and Voigtlanders are bad for this on the A7r). However, I'm not sure how to deal with the moustache distortion of the Samyang 14mm f/2.8. There's a couple of good lens profiles for this in Lightroom that do actually work, almost perfectly in fact.

Edited by MJP