The ballon walve always breaks

raro

Next to our pool is a hole in the ground (let's call it the "equalization tank") with the pipe that refills the pool and this pipe is closed by a valve with a balloon. Once enough water in, the balloon floats and shuts the valve.

This B;%&^*$y balloon we have now replaced a gazillion times because the chlorine (so the pool technician) makes the plastic brittle and the balloon breaks off, causing the water to flow and flood the garden and eventually the street.

I cannot really believe that there are no balloon valves out there that can withstand the chlorine longer than three weeks. Or are we a bit too generous with the chlorine here??

Further, we have been informed that the concrete lining of this equalization tank next to the pool has been destroyed by the chlorine and needs to be fixed - i.e. empty the pool and redo the concrete.

Now before we venture into this any further into this I like to have some advice here!

1) how to prevent that balloon valve to break all the time ?

2) Are there platinum plated balloon valves out there that withstand Hydrochloric acid?

3) This equalization tank lining, can it be done with something better than concrete?

tx

raro

You may want to replace your "balloon" with an electric valve and electronic floating valve like the one below.

_font_b_electrical_b_font_water.jpg

Another option may be to find a floating valve made in ABS

3-8-small-font-b-float-b-font-font-b-val

Edit to add : Big C extra has small floating valves made in ABS which are the shape of jojo. Cost less than 300 Baht.

Edited by JesseFrank

thanks for the input!

Yes, three weeks is way too short, especially as I asked that guy to spend 50 Baht more on something decent this time.

Will check at Big C tomorrow. Is it the Big C or the Home Pro in the same building?

thanks for the input!

Yes, three weeks is way too short, especially as I asked that guy to spend 50 Baht more on something decent this time.

Will check at Big C tomorrow. Is it the Big C or the Home Pro in the same building?

The small floating valve that looks like a jojo toy is in Big C and I checked today they are 158 Baht. They are between the bed sheets and the small furniture department.

The one like in the picture is available at Homepro, but will set you back around 400 Baht.

To be honest, if you have a skimmer pool the tank has only a small function which is to keep the water at level automatically, and is in my opinion a waste of money. My pool has the water supply directly in the return pipe from the filter pump with a manual valve in the pumphouse and when the level gets too low, which should happen once a week at most, I open the valve for 10 minutes while I vacuum the pool.

The water level in a pool should not decrease by more then 1-1,5 cm a day anyway, even when it has sun all day, so if you have a rainstorm once a week there is no need to top up at all.

Once again I want to advise you to buy a decent test kit, which you will have to order from Ebay, and check your water balance as I suspect there is something wrong.

I'm sure you care about your family and don't want them to get an eye/ear or skin infection or worse.

You may want to replace your "balloon" with an electric valve and electronic floating valve like the one below.

_font_b_electrical_b_font_water.jpg

Another option may be to find a floating valve made in ABS

3-8-small-font-b-float-b-font-font-b-val

Edit to add : Big C extra has small floating valves made in ABS which are the shape of jojo. Cost less than 300 Baht.

Use the top one. Have to rin wiring though to shut off the water. If that is not possible the bottom is required.

what is this box/tank next to the pool good for anyways? II researched in the internet about pool construction and a device like that was nowhere mentioned.

It's called a balance tank, and is used on overflow style pools to help stop wasting water when big splashes send lots of water out of the pool.