Add on stereo speakers for a Samsung 40" LCD TV

elgordo38

Simplest method is to buy a speaker set, typically 2 small side speakers + 1 woofer. Be sure to get a set that is powered by line cord to the wall, usually to the woofer (sides will plug into that one). You will need a analog output from the TV, typically the headset jack. I found a large number of such speaker sets at Amorn shop at basement of our local Big-C, cost around 1000 baht. Note that some TV's will shut off the internal speakers when the headset is being used.

The optical output (if your TV has such) will require a fiber-optic connection, commonly labeled as Toslink or Toscom. Such a connector will not work for those cheap analog speakers and must be converted, such converters are very hard to find in Thailand (I got several from AliExpress in China). The optical connector works very fine for connection to amplifier or a more upscale speaker set that has the optical jack (single square fitting). The Toslink cables are very much overpriced in Thailand, the converter I got from China had such link (1 meter) included for free, probably cost well over 500 baht here. Note the converter + optical cable delivered to my house cost about 450 baht.

A speaker set intended for a desktop computer serves this purpose very well. They are self-powered and connect to my Samsung 40 inch TV through the headphone jack on the back of the TV.

I bought this set for 799 THB and it is enough power to piss off the neighbors.