New X-trail almost here?

bkkjames

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hard to believe the range of SUV models Nissan currently have in Australia is necessary.

8 different models from the Juke to the Patrol, including the run outs.

What is the deal with selling the old and new model X-Trail and Dualis / Qashqai at the same time?

Strange they struggle to keep SUV models on the market in LOS.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Looks like a nice vehicle in the top 4x4 model, which has an upscale interior. Problems are that I don't think that nice interior is available on non 4WD versions, and the biggest problem I see is very bad fuel economy for a 7 seater, and I suppose also that might be a bit cramped, but haven't seen it in person yet.

All in all, probably the class of the mainstream SUVs now, cheaper and better than the Mazda CX-5, but that petrol engine only is a bummer. Styling is typical Nissan fugly, Mazda much nicer looking.

Probably best choice for a CRV buyer looking for a 7-seater and not wanting a big pickup based oil burner.

Checked out a top spec one (2.5l 4wd) in white at my friend's dealer here in Sarakham last Friday. I was also hoping there would be a diesel, but will check out the mileage on the trip computer when I go for a test drive this week (it wasn't insured last week). I'm trading up from a 3,000cc Cefiro Brougham, so it was nice seeing similar comforts like nice leather, electronic seat controls, touch screen navigation, and other small touches. Also need to check again about any possible problems on the net - it's a bit more than we want to spend, but my wife really likes it. I will update here again after the test drive.

Also need to sell our Cefiro, I guess. Anybody want to buy a fast black sedan?

Styling is typical Nissan fugly, Mazda much nicer looking.

It's definitely better looking than the CR-V, Craptiva, Tuscon, etc, and I wouldn't personally rate the CX-5 as better looking - about the same.

There's quite a few gadgets on offer not found on others in the segment: electric tailgate, sunroof, and 360 degree parking cameras - plus another 2 seats which is only equalled by the Craptiva.

Alas, no diesel.

If you want the latest info on the newest mini crossover/Mini SUV, Mazda CX-3, check out the article in today's BK Post. It will be coming to Thailand next year maybe, but the unknown is again the diesel issue. There is a lot of doubt it will fit in the eco-car program (unlike the new diesel Mazda 2 which will be a huge winner here), and if not, it will be priced like the CRV, and higher with diesel.

Ace, some people in Thailand buy diesels because they are on budgets and need to keep running costs low, not because they love that clattering sound. wink.png

In some cases Yes, but many enjoy the cheap E85 these days . Small Eco Cars,they never had the choise a few years ago.. I take a grave risk here saying anything other than God Bless the Truck.The new Mazda will sell if they keep the price at Eco Benzine prices. E85 is cheaper than oil now, interesting to see what happens.Honda dont seem interested, perhaps its the Anti Diesel fad going on in EEC Cities .coffee1.gif

^Yeah, other scary news on 22 November for diesel owners in Thailand, is that the government wants to lift prices by raising excise tax near to petrol prices, so any perceived benefit will disappear if that happens. They want to do the same with NGV, so now we see all the LPG advantages disappearing, soon NGV and diesel perhaps, so happy days are gone for all those pickups racing to the next stop light.

The diesel price will come close to those of petrol and gasohol while LPG and NGV prices will also increase as part of a government policy to price fuels based on their real costs.

^Yeah, other scary news on 22 November for diesel owners in Thailand, is that the government wants to lift prices by raising excise tax near to petrol prices, so any perceived benefit will disappear if that happens. They want to do the same with NGV, so now we see all the LPG advantages disappearing, soon NGV and diesel perhaps, so happy days are gone for all those pickups racing to the next stop light.

The diesel price will come close to those of petrol and gasohol while LPG and NGV prices will also increase as part of a government policy to price fuels based on their real costs.

Yep, diesel prices are rising, but diesels still get better FE cc for cc, and have a much better power band than naturally aspirated gasoline engines, in the rev range that matters for normal driving.

Just came back from the test drive.

Short verdict: No.

This is my favorite SUV on the market right now. The looks are acceptable, the options are top level for the Thai market, and most importantly, it handles well for an SUV. I might even get used to the CVT. The acceleration is a bit pokey and strained (see CVT), but OK. The odometer had 800km on it, the trip computer read 11km/liter and the salesman it had been 12km/l until some guy drove it 180kph during a test drive yesterday (but at least he bought one hehheh). He said it was currently running on E20.

My main issue with this car is price - 1.55 million baht is just too much for what it is. If I'm going to spend that much, I want a car I really love... At the end of the day, I just like it (a lot). If it were priced about 200,000 cheaper, I probably would have bought one (in silver or black) today.

BTW I've seen it now in two colors. The test car is white, and I hate Nissan's pearl white - it seems to yellow very quickly here. They also had a new very dark metallic green one in the showroom. I would guess this color is for people who secretly like black but want to seem more daring than the typical buyer of a 1.55 million baht family car.