Driving Bangkok to Mukdahan

homemade514

I am planning on driving from don muang (flying into DMK from Chiang Rai and renting a car) with my wife and son to mukdahan in order to head over the bridge to get a new visa in savanakhet. Am going first week in October, so still have plenty of time to figure things out but want to start...

if anybody has driven it i am just wondering what the drive is like, about how long it takes, road conditions, etc....

google says its about a 7.5 hour drive.

any info would help a lot and be much appreciated!

Huh?

Fly to DMK, rent a car, drive to Mukdahan? Why not rent a car in Chiang Rai, then drive to Muk?

Other than a long scenic drive, it makes no sense unless you have things to see along the way. But it's a long day's drive, but would probably be good to make it a two or more day trip, depending on what time you want to hit the bridge.

Did it once.

Driving from Don Muang to Mukdehan is a bit boring, I would say a full day travelling. So arriving in MUK too late to cross the bridge.

You could fly to Udon or Khon Kaen and rent a car from there. Trip will be about 3 hours.

You could make it a great holiday and drive from Chiang Mai to Mukdahan. Make a stop-over in Loei, Udon or Khon Kaen. Then from Muk drive to Hua Hin and make a stop-over in Khao Yai. Along the way are a few nice things to visit. From HH drive back to Chiang Mai via Sukhothai.

• Like 1

Khon Kaen and Udon Thani are far from Mukdahan.

Either fly to Ubon Ratchathani (lots of flights).

Or fly to Nakhon Phanom with Nok Air or Air Asia.

Nok Air offers a once a day "fly and ride" to Mukdahan (bus included).

Edited by KhunBENQ

Khon Kaen and Udon Thani are far from Mukdahan.

Either fly to Ubon Ratchathani (lots of flights).

Or fly to Nakhon Phanom with Nok Air or Air Asia.

Nok Air offers a once a day "fly and ride" to Mukdahan (bus included).

Or fly Lao Air Bangkok to Sanvannhket.

http://www.laos-airtickets.com/?gclid=CjwKEAjw4PCfBRCz966N9pvJ4GASJAAEdM_K1kbOalNe5LkAR8sNiLgWwB1j57T0y-KOjXLp9VNklhoC_-fw_wcB

• Like 1

Taking the 12 to Mukdahan is very scenic, especially after you pass Petchabun. There is a National Park with spectacular sights. Unfortunately, they are doing A LOT of road work and there are many stoppages for trucks crossing the road. I would add at least 1 hr to whatever google says.

BTW, for the record I went from Phitsanalok to Mukdahan about 2 weeks ago.

Even better as the poster wants to go to Savannakhet anyway.

Starts from Suvarnabhumi.

4 flights per week:

BKK - 12:40p ZVK - 2:10p 1h 30m QV 224 AT7 M*W*F*S Edited by KhunBENQ