City hall to clear Silom of vendors during the day

webfact

City hall to clear Silom of vendors during the day
By Coconuts Bangkok

silom.vendors.jpg?itok=ET6WlsNW

BANGKOK: -- Starting in October, daytime vendors along Silom Road will be gone, for good.

So says the Bangkok Metropolitan Administration, which wants to spruce up Silom’s image from Narathiwas to Sala Daeng intersections by banning daytime vendors from setting up stalls. They will still be allowed at night, though.

According to city hall, almost half of the approximately 900 vendors were found to also operate during the day.

Full story: http://bangkok.coconuts.co//2014/08/27/city-hall-clear-silom-vendors-during-day

cocon.jpg
-- Coconuts Bangkok 2014-08-27

I know they can be a pain sometimes, however the street stalls are apart of the Bkk scene. Be a shame to get like Singapore with no character.

And no one would be concerned if these louts stuck to the terms of their licences (supposing that they actually have them, as required).

I know they can be a pain sometimes, however the street stalls are apart of the Bkk scene. Be a shame to get like Singapore with no character.

And no one would be concerned if these louts stuck to the terms of their licences (supposing that they actually have them, as required).

I would hardly call them "louts" Just trying to make a modest living is their main objective.

• Like 2

>>>>>And no one would be concerned if these louts stuck to the terms of their licences>>>>

What are they doing that is 'loutish'?

And further, please tell us all what terms of their licenses are they contravening?

Please enlighten those of us who do not have the knowledge that you have?

I doubt very much that the hundreds of Thais that buy from them would consider them 'loutish' & nor do I.

I don't think we have heard the last of this as local office and other workers depend on them for their lunch. Once again the sledgehammer comes out to crack a nut.

If the local police and BMA police would organise them to just take part of the pavement and not let greed (for more 'fees') take over, both the vendors and pedestrians would happily co-exist.

• Like 2

>>>>>And no one would be concerned if these louts stuck to the terms of their licences>>>>

It may have been a typo from Johnnie99 -- touts is a typical British word.. to Tout -- Attempt to sell (something), typically by a direct or persistent approach:...... Sanjay was touting his wares

I think the night time approach is a good compromise , tourist do like the open air selling, you feel your getting some sort of bargain, also there are some quite talented people doing T-shirt designs etc, hate to see everything moved to enclosed markets

Edited by sanuk711

Also, I do not mind these merchants as I like to look at what there is for sale on the street. I do not like going into the regular places as you run into some pretty aggressive people in them. On the street I have never felt harassed by the stall sellers.

• Like 1

It's a balance between Thai culture, making a living and keeping the pavements open.

At present they set up opposite each other, or chairs and tables that block the whole pavement which is just unacceptable with no regard for others.

It would be nice to keep the Bangkok ambiance; lets have a pavement to walk on and work together.

But, I believe that left to their own free will this will be impossible so, there needs to be some rules to keep a pavement clear for walking on.

The other "problem" is the parking on the road whilst they "set up" the stalls. This doubles the problem with traffic snarled up, pedestrians on the road, roads blocked by parked cars, etc etc.

Unless you set out to make the pavement wider to facilitate the stalls it will always be a problem; hence why you don't see this in the "developed" world.

• Like 2

I doubt very much that the hundreds of Thais that buy from them would consider them 'loutish' & nor do I.

I don't think we have heard the last of this as local office and other workers depend on them for their lunch. Once again the sledgehammer comes out to crack a nut.

If the local police and BMA police would organise them to just take part of the pavement and not let greed (for more 'fees') take over, both the vendors and pedestrians would happily co-exist.

Bulls***! Around Sala Daeng the vendors make it nearly impossible to walk on the sidewalks (which by definition of the name are meant for walking, not selling). There are plenty of indoor establishments serving food for the lunch crowd to fill themselves up on 40 baht noodles and the like. If the street vendors feel that they have a viable business model then I suggest they get themselves a rented space in a building as so many others along Silom have done. I'm not recommending that Bangkok become like Singapore (it will NEVER be that anyway), but some concern for pedestrians is a welcome change. I want to re-iterate that the sidewalks are public areas, and not for the benefit of enterprising entrepreneurs. They are for walking, period.

It's a pity that you didn't read all of what I said before making idiotic comments.

I never said that the streets along Silom were not full of vendors blocking far too much of the pavements. I did say that, given some intelligent give and take, they could be made accessible to both vendors and pedestrians.

You are arrogantly suggesting that Thais who buy food and other items from them should just go do indoor places, who by nature are more expensive, because you think they should.

There are plenty of areas with wide pavements on Silom where vendors would not interfere with pedestrians at all. BTW I am a pedestrian and walk many streets of Bangkok, including Silom, and prefer a live and let live policy rather than a me me me policy.

I would have left the fist sentence out and "arrogantly" in the third paragraph. The point would still be made, which makes sense, but without the uncivil bits.

why not simply establish a minimum space needed to walk? In Sukhumvit as much needed as in Silom. If you live in the area, it is a daily nightmare - without control, they occupy any centimeters. Sometimes the walk side is big, sometimes is narrow, so it is possible to designate areas in a clever way.

• Like 1

And further, please tell us all what terms of their licenses are they contravening?

Please enlighten those of us who do not have the knowledge that you have?

Just wait

I like the vendors being outside, keeps the feel of south east Asia. I do believe there should be a clearway for pedestrains and wheelchairs. I am sure most vendors would not have a problem with this.

• Like 2