Are the new rules re: overstaying more than 90 days now being enforced

I have a friend who messed up with his non-o visa renewal and as of today he has overstayed 90 days. We have all been telling him to get it sorted but he didn't listen and he only has himself to blame.

He gets his pension maybe tomorrow and he is intending to go Laos via Nong Khai by monday. However if the rules on people overstaying more than 90 days are being enforced as of today then he is banned for a year.

does everybody agree ? or do you think they may be lenient?

Then new overstay rules have not been approved yet.

Them starting today is a rumor or a twisting of facts the only thing that started today was a new police order for extensions of stay.

@Martouf, I would be very careful if I was your friend. I was today at Chaeng Wattana to extend my non-B based on my WP and they found out I/company let the previous WP expire so I am technically in overstay. The officer found it was very funny that these new rules started being enforced today. I was handled a document to acknowledge that 90 days overstay = 1 year blacklisted if you surrender yourself (I guess immigration, border or airport), and I was explained that it would be enforced from today. BTW this was the head of business visa extensions section at Bangkok immigration, so I would assume she knows what she was talking about.

I am not at 90 days yet but I can tell you she made me feel very scared, and just because I/company forgot to renew the WP and now there is a gap of 2 weeks between the old and new WP :-(

EDIT: ubonjoe, I just re read your post and you mention new police order for extensions of stay , what does exactly that mean? I just don't get it :S

Edited by kawaiimomo

@Martouf, I would be very careful if I was your friend. I was today at Chaeng Wattana to extend my non-B based on my WP and they found out I/company let the previous WP expire so I am technically in overstay. The officer found it was very funny that these new rules started being enforced today. I was handled a document to acknowledge that 90 days overstay = 1 year blacklisted if you surrender yourself (I guess immigration, border or airport), and I was explained that it would be enforced from today. BTW this was the head of business visa extensions section at Bangkok immigration, so I would assume she knows what she was talking about.

Practically speaking, for a Thai immigration or police officer to ban anyone from entering Thailand all he/she has to do is login with the right credentials and key in something. That has always existed and there is evidence that occasionally it has been done even without a sound legal basis.

Now, I think that is a task normally reserved to specialized police officers that execute courts decisions, e.g. ban as a consequence of having been sentenced, often at the same time of deportation. I have no problem in believing they can enforce it at any time with little chances for one to even know or appeal. No surprise they will try to hook it on the date of today, a typical approach of simplifying things when convenient for them, but complicating when it is not.

However, from the reliable information, fully legalizing banning needs approval at a level above the one that is currently available to Immigration Bureau itself - some say Cabinet. Given the current situation there is not hard to think there are some issues in getting things done, beside as with everything in Thailand there may be some power fight behind the scenes of which we don't and will never know.

Edited by paz

Practically speaking, for a Thai immigration or police officer to ban anyone from entering Thailand all he/she has to do is login with the right credentials and key in something. That has always existed and there is evidence that occasionally it has been done even without a sound legal basis.

Now, I think that is a task normally reserved to specialized police officers that execute courts decisions, e.g. ban as a consequence of having been sentenced, often at the same time of deportation. I have no problem in believing they can enforce it at any time with little chances for one to even know or appeal. No surprise they will try to hook it on the date of today, a typical approach of simplifying things when convenient for them, but complicating when it is not.

However, from the reliable information, fully legalizing banning needs approval at a level above the one that is currently available to Immigration Bureau itself - some say Cabinet. Given the current situation there is not hard to think there are some issues in getting things done, beside as with everything in Thailand there may be some power fight behind the scenes of which we don't and will never know.

I can tell you the officer made me feel very scared. I have dealt with this same lady for all my previous non-B extensions and she was always funny and smiling (even when we missed some document), but today's face when found out about the gap between the WP was not nice at all. She then send us to another officer for further review, and this one was even less nice. To me it looked like they got some direct orders on being way more strict (they were even questioning the office photographs and trying to find issues everywhere [like my current cheapskate company declares a lower base salary and covers the rest with incentives, I guess for tax saving or something, but they declared my real salary and the officers were questioning which one was the real one. This has been the same practice for the previous 3 years and this is the first time it has ever been questioned]).

Given the current 'government' I wouldn't be surprised to know that they can do whatever they please. Well it can't be hard for them to get ministerial approval or whatever they need, I guess.

I can tell you the officer made me feel very scared. I have dealt with this same lady for all my previous non-B extensions and she was always funny and smiling (even when we missed some document), but today's face when found out about the gap between the WP was not nice at all. She then send us to another officer for further review, and this one was even less nice. To me it looked like they got some direct orders on being way more strict (they were even questioning the office photographs and trying to find issues everywhere [like my current cheapskate company declares a lower base salary and covers the rest with incentives, I guess for tax saving or something, but they declared my real salary and the officers were questioning which one was the real one. This has been the same practice for the previous 3 years and this is the first time it has ever been questioned]).

Given the current 'government' I wouldn't be surprised to know that they can do whatever they please. Well it can't be hard for them to get ministerial approval or whatever they need, I guess.

Assuming my friend does go by Monday I'll post an update as to what Nong Khai's attitude is like

If he does get a ban, in his case he only has himself to blame as many people have tried to help him

• 2 weeks later...

Assuming my friend does go by Monday I'll post an update as to what Nong Khai's attitude is like

If he does get a ban, in his case he only has himself to blame as many people have tried to help him

Unfortunately my friend has decided to bury his head in the sand and get pissed - we have all told him to stop being stupid !!!

Therefore, unfortunately I cannot give an update of the current situation in Nong Khai

I will as soon as this friend gets off his arse !

• 2 weeks later...

The following was posted on facebook by Nong Khai immigration and according to my school there are now enforcing the ban if you try to leave via the bridge. What was strange the school said if you leave by air, no problem. This therefore makes me think the new rules are not yet officially in force and it's NK adopting their own policy

แจ้งแนวทางปฏิบัติของสำนักงานตรวจคนเข้าเมือง กรณีการห้ามคนต่างด้าว ที่จงใจฝ่าฝืนกฎหมาย ว่าด้วยคนเข้าเมือง อยู่ในราชอาณาจักร โดยการอนุญาตสิ้นสุดเป็นระยะเวลานานเข้ามาราชอาณาจักร ดังนี้
Acknowledge that the Immigration Bureau regulates the penalties for the aliens who violate the Immigration Act, B.E.2522 by overstaying the Kingdom of Thailand as follows:
กรณีคนต่างด้าวเข้ามอบตัว
In the case that the alien surrenders himself/herself
- อยู่เกินกำหนดอนุญาตเกินกว่า ๙๐ วัน ห้ามเข้าราชอาณาจักรเป็นเวลา ๑ ปี
Overstay more than 90days forbidden from re-entering the kingdom for 1 year
- อยู่เกินกำหนดอนุญาตเกินกว่า ๑ ปี ห้ามเข้าราชอาณาจักรเป็นเวลา ๓ ปี
Overstay more than 1 year forbidden from re-entering the kingdom for 3 years
- อยู่เกินกำหนดอนุญาตเกินกว่า ๓ ปี ห้ามเข้าราชอาณาจักรเป็นเวลา ๕ ปี
Overstay more than 3 years forbidden from re-entering the kingdom for 5 years
- อยู่เกินกำหนดอนุญาตเกินกว่า 5 ปี ห้ามเข้าราชอาณาจักรเป็นเวลา ๑๐ ปี
Overstay more than 5 years forbidden from re-entering the kingdom for 10 years
กรณีคนต่างด้าวถูกจับกุมดำเนินคดี
In the case that the alien is being apprehended
-อยู่เกินกำหนดอนุญาตน้อยกว่า ๑ ปี ห้ามเข้าราชอาณาจักรเป็นเวลา ๕ ปี
Overstay for less than 1 year forbidden from re-entering the kingdom for 5 years
-อยู่เกินกำหนดอนุญาตเกินกว่า ๑ ปี ห้ามเข้าราชอาณาจักรเป็นเวลา ๑๐ ปี
Overstay for more than 1 year forbidden from re-entering the kingdom for 10 years

There have been no reports of the new rules being enforced anywhere.

They have not been approved so it is not possible for them to be enforced.

That Facebook page post probably has been up for some time now. Nothing new there.

It was posted on 15th Sept. I have to go to immigration next week and will ask them direct

I hope it isn't yet in force as my friend still hasn't got off his arse and sorted out his overstay !

• 2 weeks later...

^ They have not been approved yet, but I thought the immigration officials had wide discretion and could blacklist you on pretty much any grounds if they saw fit? Many countries (including US and Canada) can refuse entry which would block further entry until/unless you chose to appeal it to the immigration department higher up.

They have not been approved yet.

I agree with Ubonjoe that the rules have not been approved however today at Nong Khai immigration when I went to get my 12 month extension I asked what the position was re the bans and the boss said "not in place yet but if overstay more than 90 days you must leave by the airport and not the bridge" !!

He then pointed to his new filing cabinet draw marked blacklisted

Whether or not they actually do I don't know but I'm just relaying what he said..... And I was with a Thai teacher that is his friend