Very Last Minute Cheap Flights To Uk

Khun Bob

I have to go back to the UK in August and would like to do so in an economical way. I have explored the thaiairways website and can see on there daily their reduced price flights. When I did this about 1 month ago there was quite a few flights to London, however now there doesnt seem to be any displayed.

As my return date has some degree of flexibility, I just wondered if the following idea may work...

If I go along to Don Muang ready to fly and talk to the companies that fly back to london (either direct ot indirect) and ask them if they have any space and can give me a last minute price, would this work ?

Also if i explain my situation to the flight companies before, do you think they may be able/willing to help ?

Thai Airways was offering single tickets before in the 12000 baht range. A price around this amount would be great.

If anyone has any experience or advice, would be great to hear from you...

Cheers in advance

Called a few of the flight co's today and seems like thai super deals (last minute flights advertised on the website) are not an option to london in august as there is allready over the threshold for booked seats then - no surprise

Also the following companies do not oficially offer cheap last minute tickets at the airport - say 2 hours befpre the plane leaves if there is a seat available - shame as that would have been good as well - but please soemone tell me i am wrong

The companies i talked to are :

thai

eva

gulf

emirates

Called a few of the flight co's today and seems like thai super deals (last minute flights advertised on the website) are not an option to london in august as there is allready over the threshold for booked seats then - no surprise

Also the following companies do not oficially offer cheap last minute tickets at the airport - say 2 hours befpre the plane leaves if there is a seat available - shame as that would have been good as well - but please soemone tell me i am wrong

The companies i talked to are :

thai

eva

gulf

emirates

This is true. I have worked in travel a long time, and something that airlines are adamant about is they do not discount at the last minute. I think that people get this idea because back in the 80's and 90's, charter airlines such as airtours and brittania would sell last minute seats dirt cheap.

Scheduled airlines, such as the ones you mention above 1. don't want to tarnish their image as being 'cheap', 2. don't want to have 2 passengers sitting next to each other who paid vastly different amounts for their seats and 3. normally sell any remaining seats at full fare (published IATA fare), as they know that if people really want to fly, they will pay it!

Thanks for the replies

Seems that talking direct to the some of the airlines can reveal good deals - also the airlines (thai) are quite open in saying that travel agents can offer better proces than them.

One option i did consider was to get a full price economy return on thai air - one that enables me to change the return dates - as at the moment i dont know when i will be coming back to thailand - also one that may be able to give me a refund if i dont want to use the return leg. Tried explaining this to the thai air representative and she just didnt get it. I do know that full price economy tickets are not cheap direct from thai air - but have seen tickets from agents arounf 45000 baht - which is still on the expensive side as i have seen singles with gulf air below 20000. Bangladesh airlines seems to be the cheapest with a 1 year return at around 30000 baht.

If anyone has comments on doing someeling like the above or other ideas then look forward to hear from you.

Unlike fares out of the UK (like everything in UK rip off!) fares bought here seem to have changeable return dates within a specified time period.

Recently I have seen Kuwait at about 20k bht + 'taxes' and Gulf Air who I used last time at around 25k bht + 'taxes' my gulf Air return flight could be changed to up to six months from departure date.

A direct flight with say Thai air will never be cheaper than a stopover in the Gulf and the price of the ticket seems to be determined by the length of the stopover.

My 'mate' Manager Nisan at Cambodia Inter, in Soi Buckeow Pattaya says 'Go and get the best price and I will discount it' His number is 010035095

Unlike fares out of the UK (like everything in UK rip off!) fares bought here seem to have changeable return dates within a specified time period.

Recently I have seen Kuwait at about 20k bht + 'taxes' and Gulf Air who I used last time at around 25k bht + 'taxes' my gulf Air return flight could be changed to up to six months from departure date.

A direct flight with say Thai air will never be cheaper than a stopover in the Gulf and the price of the ticket seems to be determined by the length of the stopover.

My 'mate' Manager Nisan at Cambodia Inter, in Soi Buckeow Pattaya says 'Go and get the best price and I will discount it' His number is 010035095

The UK is just as good a place to buy your ticket (if you are starting your journey from there). Airliens have different fare levels - some may be a non-changeable promotion fare, other will be changeable at a fee, and others free to change.

Another airline to try is Ethihad - good rates and supposedly a good airline

Asking IN the airport is generally utter useless: they will only quote the ofical fares. Indeed, you dont need to contact the others, all will. As they suggest themselves: go to an AGENT.

Its also useless to try out the websites: ditto.

the LOCAL airline (here TG) is always the most expensive in THEIR country, ditto for BA (badways, was that?) in UK. Ditto for GF in the Gulf, EK in Dubai: there a return DUB-LON may cost more as 1 from BKK via DUB.

Airfares are mainly set by:

1.flexibility of ticket, HOW Long valid, 1 yr is always the most expensive and often just oficial IATA is quoted.

2.SEASON: as from 1/8, all flights LOS/BKK TOward EUR are full, of those happy young travellers going back for study etc.

m Thus the response is simple; Gop to 1,2, whatever agents, explain all, get some idea of what most quotes (in fact many qill qote exactly the same for the same ticket/class for the same airline, only their own additional fees will vary a few 100). try at least to determine within WHAT timeframe you expect reasonably to be back and buty for that period. Remember that cheap singles FROm UK to LOS/BKk simply do not exist at all: you will be quoted the lowest prebooked./fixed date return then set by season.

mmhhh seems to be some interesting, yet contradictory information here..

I have had good single proces quoted for august, with availability by both an airline and agents - both below 20k bt

The two websites that quote good prices are :

http://www.saveflights.com/

www.travelconnecxion.com

which have both been mentioned so far - both appear to use the same web service but do have some significantly different prices.

My main criteria is an airlkine that will give me a ticket below 20k baht and allow 25kg plus luggage, plus hand luggage (and isnt too strict over going over a bit on weight)

Seems to be doable at the mo, but of course that can change quickly.

Still there is biman airlines at 14k bt - never flown with them - but doing a long haul could be quite an experience.

Also - some good words of wisdom on here too - thanks for all comments so far. Look forward to some more...

You are going to find it difficult to travel to London in August. For example Emirates have at least 3 flights a day into Heathrow but due to high demand and lack of slots for expansion, I was told by my agent that they never release extra/empty seats 72 hours before the flight because they never have any. However they also have daily flights to Birmingham, Manchester and Glasgow and these may have seats released 72 hrs before. Their 3+ flights into Gatwick are also pretty full. Their cheapest UK return prices are about 34,500 Baht (which includes landing charges, insurance and fuel surcharge of about 8,000 Baht). There are some cheaper (slightly?) carriers if you can get the seats.

• 3 weeks later...

Well got a flight on gulf in the end for a good price - direct from gulf office in bkk - also on the day they do some currency conversion and i got the ticket for 100 baht less than quoted before - chose both the seats i will have and got a good luggage allowance.

Interestingly thai air do have some super deals on their website last week from bkk to london for just under 12k baht - with taxes etc is just under 15k baht and returns to with a weeks stay approx in uk...