British Expat wishing to return to UK with Thai wife of 12 years - how best to do this ?

Hi

I am sure over the years there has been many guys asking the same question, but I would appreciate any assistance and advice offered by members of TV.

I have been working in Asia for the past 20 years and approaching 60. Medical reasons make me consider slowing down work or even returning to the UK. I have been married to my Thai wife for 12 years and she has travelled to most of the countries that I have worked in. She has had visas for Mongolia, Vietnam, India, Indonesia to name a few. I would like to know if it is as difficult as people say to obtain a visa for my wife to first visit the UK to see my grown up children, then secondly, providing she likes to, obtain a visa to return as a family.

I am currently working in an isolated region in Indonesia and not near The UK Embassy. I looked online and found an email contact address and sent 4 emails over a 2 week period without getting one reply. I have tried on numerous occassions to telephone but have never once had anyone answer the telephone.

I also looked online for visa agency which I beleive the UK Embassy uses for visa applications. I sent them 7 emails over 1 month period and again never received one reply.

My email request was simple- As we both are in Indonesia, would my wife need to apply here at UK Embassy, or return to Bangkok and apply there - but alas no answer to confirm one way or the other.

So we have now moved past this point and wish to ask the kind members of TV for their useful advice- Regardless of where we are - In your opinion, is it easy for married expat to obtain visiting visa for Thai wife of 12 years. Is it easy to obtain settlement visa for Thai wife (providing she likes) And what will I need to prepare and time frame for doing so. I hear that you require accommodation, money etc, so a general guidance would be very useful

I really hope that someone on here can help as we are totally frustrated with the Embassy and visa agency. If we were in real need of help for some emergency- we would be in real trouble !

Thanking you in anticipation

I'll move this to the Visas to other countries forum, despite the fact the OP is in Indonesia the rules are the same.

But to answer one part of your question your wife can apply where she is living legally, if she is living in Indonesia then she can apply there but she has to visit the Visa Application Centre. in Jakarta or Bali.

You are probably aware of the procedures and financial requirements.

I am pretty sure that you need 70,000 in a Uk bank for a minimum of 6 months or employment for over a year at around 19,000 a year. There are going to be other requirements but it is a disgraceful policy aimed at splitting up families because there is no entitlement to benefits for your foreign wife for at least 3 years anyway. I am sure an internet search will help you further too.

• Like 2

As you have been married for 12+ years, there shouldn't be too much of a problem as long as you can show evidence of the marriage AND that you (your Mrs) will not be a burden on the British economy. The rules have changed apparently but when my wife first applied for a UK visa it was a fairly easy affair, albeit it was over 20 years ago.

IMHO, if you are doing anything 'important', it is always best to do it in person.

You may find the following useful:-

UK visit visa basics

UK settlement visa basics

They both refer to applications in Thailand but, as theoldgit says, the rules are the same worldwide; all that will be different is where she submits her application.

As theoldgit said, there are two UKVACs in Indonesia; Jakarta and Bali.

Unfortunately, for some reason, if you use the one in Bali there is an additional fee to pay over and above the usual UKVI visa fee!

For the visit visa you will have to be especially careful to clearly demonstrate a very good "Reason to Return". This may be a bit difficult in your case as :-

1. You and your wife are not in Thailand and appear to live in a transient way. Nothing wrong in that but if you go to the UK after expiry of your contract in Indonesia it may be difficult proving a return to somewhere outside of the UK unless you have another contract somewhere.

2. However you also said that you are thinking to get a settlement visa for your wife. Again be careful here because the UK embassy may think that you might just overstay and therefore circumvent SV rules. Not saying you will but I think this is how they are looking at things nowadays.

Good luck!

Thanks to all who responded to my request. We have a house and grown up children back in Thailand so really moving back to the UK would not happen for a while, that is only if my wife wants to after a quick visit of about 10 days. We have property there and I have savings scattered about worlwide, but really just wanted info as UK Embassy and Visa agency has never once responded.

I am alot clearer now than I was before so will make a start. Just wanted to do the correct thing and make sure documents and other stuff is as per Embassy requirements. Seems a shame that I had to result to asking this on a chat forum when Embassy gets paid to do just that.

If anybody has other info or advice please send.

Thank you all very very much.

Remember that settling in the UK now takes 5 years, and you will need to meet the income/capital requirements at the start, the middle and the end. (Your wife's earned income will be counted except at the start.) Your wife no longer gets any credit for the 12 years you have already clocked up. Plan your winding down accordingly.

Unfortunately not, ulike. This facility for spouses/partners was withdrawn in the changes which came into effect for applications made on or after 9/7/12.

I can see no reason for so doing, other than the government's desire to extract the maximum amount of money in fees from family migrants.