Chiang Mai, Luang Prabang roadtrip.

Meier

Hi All

I have been researching driving from Chiang Mai to Luang Prabang later in the year and was hoping for some updates on the best route, road conditions etc. We have a Toyota Vios and was also wondering if it would be suitable for such a trip.

Any tips would be most appreciated.

Cheers!

There are four northern/northeast border crossing from Thailand to Lao. the closest to CNX is The new Friendship Bridge 4 GPS 20.214252, 100.450577 . There is buss service from CNX to LP from the Arcade bus station so your vios would seem able. Also you have a new full device crossing out side Loei at GPS 17.6905, 101.394667. There is also a bus service from Loei to LP now which says your car is OK.

i have done it a few times;

run a search

nice way is up to Chiang Khong, cross the bridge, drive to Luang Namtha- Luang Prabang- Vientiane exit down to Nong khai than head back to CM

Only bad stretch is Udomaxi to Luang Prabang ( about 80 kms of hard packed/potholed road)

All entries into Laos do VOA , take some $US for the visa ( cheaper than paying in Baht)

If you are in Loei, another option is the Huai Kon border crossing in Nan province. That puts you closer to LP with assured good paved roads, albeit winding, on the Thai side. There is visa on arrival at the Laos side. You then have a few options to LP - an all year road that is a bit longer, or a shorter road suitable for the dry season only.

Can you do the paper work for the car to travel across to Laos (Brit owner on blue book) at the border? Do you need to prep any documentation/permits in advance? Thanks

YES

u need the purple car passport before u arrive

the blue car book ( both in your name)

and the Money to buy insurance in Laos !

make sure the car passport is stamped OUT of Thailand, into Laos, Out of Laos, an back into Thailand

• Like 1

Get ready for a bumpy ride; just did it the Tha Li-Nong Khai via Pak Lay trip.

The road from Chiang Khong/Houay Xay via Luang Namtha to Oudomxay is in a very good condition; then there are those approx. 180kms via Pak Beng which are "challenging" as the tarmac has been all but destroyed by the overloaded trucks/vehicles on this only link between the Northern and Central part of Lao PDR.

From Luang Prabang go onto 13, turn right into 4 (towards Xayaboury) and another 40 clicks turn left at Muang Nan (Lao not Thai!), cross the mountain towards Kasi. A fantastic route taking you up to 1'800 above sea level with fantastic views. From Kasi via Vang Vieng to Vientiane/Nongkhai.

Alternatively enter Lao at Huay Khon/Muang Ngern, drive via Hongsa towards Xayabouly, turn left into road 4 until Muang Nan and for the rest of the route - see above.

The car has to be in your/one of your passenger(s) name(s) - otherwise you need two sets of "power of attorney" whereby the legal owner permits you to 1) drive as well as to 2) temporary export/re-import the vehicle.

You need to have the our original blue book (if the car is financed the book is with them and you need an additional letter of the finance company permitting you to temporary export/re-import the vehicle). Possibly they will refuse the departure until the car is completely paid up :-(

See any office of the Land Transport Department (visit http://thailand.angloinfo.com/transport/useful-contacts-transport/) and get your ITP (a purple booklet of passport size being the "International Transport Permit"), valid for one year. Blue book and papers of the owner are required; photocopy set in duplicate.

Ensure this ITP is stamped on the way out/back to Thailand.

Upon crossing the border fill in a "notification of conveyance" as well as a "passenger manifest"; ridiculous paperwork for the Thai boys. There is inconsistency in paper requirements; three sets of photocopies (passport, blue book, ITP) is the maximum I ever needed. Due to the lack of any other paper the Thais give you a temporary "import permit into Thailand" - all bullocks but just go with the flow. The carbon copy needs to be stamped and returned upon re-entry into Thailand.

Your passport should contain a re-entry permit (Huay Khon does NOT issue visa-on-arrival - just in case you have to re-enter Thailand there).

On the Lao side things are pretty straight forward. They issue the "laissez passer"; a domestic driving permit giving the details of your car, point of entry/exit and validity. Some border points still spray your tires for bird flue (!) and depending on weekday/time of the day some overtime petties accrue. All best payable in Laotian Kip or Thai Baht (THB 1 = LAK 250). It is also advisable to get a local insurance coverage (AGL or Toko); they offer time wise limited coverage (week, month etc.). Ensure your tires are OK as replacing tires can be challenging. Also ensure sitting on a valid driving license for both countries. If you have a Thai license it is OK as this one now is recognised as an ASEAN driving license. Got held up by some Lao police kids once asking for an International Driviing License. I took my Thai license back and told them to smarten up; my white skin does not mean I don't know the law 8-)

Happy trip!

Beware of dated advice. The route/road conditions and the relative level of bandit danger changes year by year.

Six years ago, locals warned me of bandits posing as police. For sure do not go alone or only with one woman along with you. Walk and drive only where others have already done that; land mines.

Get some up to the hour advice.

Beware of dated advice. The route/road conditions and the relative level of bandit danger changes year by year.

Six years ago, locals warned me of bandits posing as police. For sure do not go alone or only with one woman along with you. Walk and drive only where others have already done that; land mines.

Get some up to the hour advice.

Great advice. I was there about 10 years ago when a bus was attacked. Several foreigners were injured, I think 2 cyclists were killed. The former never made it into the news. At least the mainstream news. But all the locals knew about it. I think it was south of LP.

• 2 months later...

Just went crossed via huai kon into Laos with Honda dream real easy just make sure u got dollars on hand as they charge instead of 20$ -1200 bht now in pak beng found a working ATM now just need a micro sim and internet package and let's the adventure begin until here the streets where spotless easy with zero traffic

Edited by blueyeshk