Do you keep your router on 24/7?

Keesters

Router on 24/7  

288 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Keep it on...

Daily power cycling can do more harm than good as it stresses capacitors in the power supply.

Just checked mine 194 days uptime

Unless you want to save 25 satang a week, no point in switching it off at night.

Finally a sensible post. Of course you need to keep the router running 24/7, else you do more harm than good.

Most electronics are designed to let them run 24/7. Even if I go away from home a couple of days, the router is still running.

Question to the people that turn off their routers at night:

Do you also turn off your fridge at night? No? I thought so thumbsup.gif

You should do the same with your router. These are designed to run always!

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Keep it on...

Daily power cycling can do more harm than good as it stresses capacitors in the power supply.

Unless you want to save 25 satang a week, no point in switching it off at night.

Finally a sensible post. Of course you need to keep the router running 24/7, else you do more harm than good.

Most electronics are designed to let them run 24/7. Even if I go away from home a couple of days, the router is still running.

Some don't even have an on/off switch.

Could you imagine what would happen to the internet if people turned them off at night? No internet.

Bwahahahahahahahaha, you funny.

Why is that funny? Its very true!

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

It's very funny because it's only night on half of the world at a time. cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif

My dear old mum would always turn off the TV and pull the plug out, she said it was in case of lightening strikes in the storms. Of course I got a bit laugh out of this and used to rubbish her about it....until one of her neighbours had lightening strke and blow out her TV

Most people forget to take out the antenna plug! If your dish is hit by lightning your TV gets damaged. Also the electrical plug can indeed damage the TV when lightning strikes, but the more modern the TV., the lower the chance that the TV gets damaged fully.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

My dear old mum would always turn off the TV and pull the plug out, she said it was in case of lightening strikes in the storms. Of course I got a bit laugh out of this and used to rubbish her about it....until one of her neighbours had lightening strke and blow out her TV

And unplugging every night wears the socket and has to be replaced at some point (that's what my uncle told me anyway) plus constantly unplugging and plugging in causes wires to break eventually..Whats wrong with switched sockets and just flick your switch every night.

Im saying that if everyone in the world be it at home or in business turned off their routers at night the internet as we know it will stop working. Where do you think the internet comes from, space?

lol. do you wear tin foil underpants ?

http://www.turnofftheinternet.com/#

I loved your link cheesy.gif

...I did not click on the switch ... you never know wink.png

I went also to the site, of course couldn't resist and pushed the button to switch off the internet!

Wow, needed to wait about an hour before the internet was turned on again by someone else cheesy.gif

Keep it on...

Some don't even have an on/off switch.

Exactly! Mine also doesn't have one!

Every now and again one needs to turn off the internet at the modem/router because it stops working properly.

Either that or lightening or just the sheer inefficiency of the internet ISP causes it to get stuffed up.

The other amazing thing here is the simple numbers/codes the tech's or home users use to lock their wireless systems.

Mine are so simple and common place any one could leach off me easily yet I don't know how to change it

Where would I go to get help with changing my Modems locking system as WAP has not been invoked?

Keep it on...

This is the truth and only smart reply here.

So many people don't understand this and I see the monkeys switching off the treadmill at fitness everytime someone has been using it ! Ridiculous.

And for the ones who are scare by accidents just buy corrects pluds not made in ESAAN and you won't have any problem !

Who is stupid enough to switch off nowadays ?

The same ones who switch off their mobile maybe ?

Not even routers are always on bvut computers also ! Too boring to have to wait that everything starts again when i wake up !

I switch my mobile off every night so that people from back home that have no sense of time difference cannot wake me at 3am.

Most people forget to take out the antenna plug! If your dish is hit by lightning your TV gets damaged. Also the electrical plug can indeed damage the TV when lightning strikes, but the more modern the TV., the lower the chance that the TV gets damaged fully.

I think you meant the set top box gets damaged.

I have worked in electronics (TV studios) for scores of years and the accepted practice is to leave everything on that is not a fire risk.

This is because most failures are caused by the surge when switching power on.

The only things that we turned off were monitors (TV sets) that used high voltages (about 20 thousand volts). This doesn't apply now that cathode ray tubes are obsolete.

You don't have to work in TV-studios or something els to know that most of electronic equipment can be destroyd by switching on because a AC circuit will be destroyed when switched on when it is not at zero crossing, (zero point of load current.)

Thats the problem equipment fails by switching ON in most cases.

I think you meant the set top box gets damaged.

Yes, nowadays that's indeed correct coffee1.gif

In the past you needed to be carefull when the antenna on the roof could be struck by lightning.

It gets hot. That can't be optimal.

Most electronics can run hot without any problems. For example, at my work we test our IC's to run smoothly at 125 degrees Celsius ambient temp (from -40 up to 125 actually). No issues there for IC's.

However if the total box gets too hot there will be a fire hazard.

Most electronics can run hot without any problems. For example, at my work we test our IC's to run smoothly at 125 degrees Celsius ambient temp (from -40 up to 125 actually). No issues there for IC's.

It depends of the junction temperature of the semiconductors, you know?

It depends of the junction temperature of the semiconductors, you know?

Hi Peter,

not only the junction temp, but also ambient temp of the complete IC's, since it's not only the die inside the package, but also all other's, like leadframe, mouldings etc. of the IC's.

Indeed the junction temp inside the transistors (or N/PMOS/diodes etc. if you like) should not get too hot, but 125 degrees C is mostly nothing to worry about.

(PS: I'm working as an electronics engineer, so yes, I know (well, actually groupleader of several Thai ee's now).

I am not sure what they all are,but my computer does all those funny up-dates automatically,probably while I am asleep.So I leave mine on. When I had a problem with my modem a long time ago I was asked if I turned it off when not in use and I said at that time---YES.He told me that could have buggered it up,so that's a good reason for me to leave it on 24/7. Dougal.

I bought a timer that shuts my router down each night at 3am for an hour... This forces it to reset its connection...

I don't know why routers don't have this function built in?...

Why do you feel the need to reset the connection once ever 24 hrs?

My wifi thingy is from 3BB, their own, cost 750bht, they told me to leave it on and the thing is guaranteed for life, replaced if it packs up. thumbsup.gif

Hmmmm, wait and see eh....whistling.gif ....smile.png

Always wonder- is it guaranteed for your life or the life of the router? Last time my 3BB router packed up cost 600 baht for new one ( mind you they are so good and will not run my smart TV s in other rooms).

Office said should not leave on 24hrs.

The cost of running a router must be microscopic, I run the air cons 24/ 7 so not too worried about a router.