power pack (external battery) not working with iphone5

hermespan

Did I just waste 760 baht? Fed up with my phone the battery of which lasts half a day if I am lucky (I has gone dead so many times) I picked up an off brand external battery pack of 5600 whatever. Fits neatly into my fannypack. The Yoobaos etc of higher capacity were a bit bulky.

Anyway, I hooked it up with my over- priced (compared to equivalent for my Samsung tablet) doodad that converts lightening connector (male) to USB (female) - it's actually designed for cameras, but certainly Apple can't expect me to buy attachments for every conceivable purpose.. er, would they?)

Anyway, instead of reviving my iphone I got the message along the lines of 'too much power'.

What?

Edited by hermespan

Why didn't you try it in the shop before buying it?

The problem with those external power packs is that most of them are cheaply made in China, and don't provide a very clean or stable output..There's a reason that Apple chargers are so expensive, if you've ever opened one up and looked inside you'll see that the electronics in there is of very high quality and ensure a perfect supply to the phone. I'd never trust an external power pack unless it was one that was recommended by Apple or sold on their website.

Anyway, can you not take it back with the receipt if there is too much power? or just use it with another device?

The problem with those external power packs is that most of them are cheaply made in China, and don't provide a very clean or stable output..There's a reason that Apple chargers are so expensive, if you've ever opened one up and looked inside you'll see that the electronics in there is of very high quality and ensure a perfect supply to the phone. I'd never trust an external power pack unless it was one that was recommended by Apple or sold on their website.

Anyway, can you not take it back with the receipt if there is too much power? or just use it with another device?

You are corre t - I should have tested it furst. I wish I could return it. Funny, I told her it was for iphone. Perhaps she dudn't really know if it was comoatible, or xare, or be paid enough to bother. Yes, it was clearly a cheapo from China, a rung lower in quality than Yoobao even. Bought at a small kiosk upcountry. Now in Bangkok.

Impressed by an independent Apple store in Thailand

According to salesman James at is

Store in United Building on Silom, I have been making three mistakes with my iphone5...

1. The cable (micro-USB -> USB) that came with my cheapo powerbank is NOT for attaching to the iphone . It is for *charging the powerbank, by connecting to wall or computer.

2. Cable to use is my standard Apple one (lightening to USB), direct between iphone and powerbank

3. That $55 plus taxes doodad for transferring photos only works for ipad. Not only does it not work to transfer power, it won't even work to transfer photos from camera to any iphone. The Canadian salesman was *wrong*!

You are corre t - I should have tested it furst. I wish I could return it. Funny, I told her it was for iphone. Perhaps she dudn't really know if it was comoatible, or xare, or be paid enough to bother. Yes, it was clearly a cheapo from China, a rung lower in quality than Yoobao even. Bought at a small kiosk upcountry. Now in Bangkok.

Returns are not very welcomed in SEA.