Obama briefs Congress on IS fight

webfact

Obama briefs Congress leaders on fight with IS

WASHINGTON: -- President Barack Obama has briefed Congressional leaders on his plans for an expanded military campaign against Islamic State militants in Iraq and Syria.

He discussed his strategy with leaders from both parties at the White House.

The talks came ahead of a speech on Wednesday night in which he will make a case directly to the American people.

The White House described the meetings as "productive" and said Mr Obama had the authority to act against IS.

Tuesday's meeting with Congressional leaders came a year after lawmakers blocked Mr Obama's previous plans for missile strikes against Syria.

Full story: http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-29131830

bbclogo.jpg
-- BBC 2014-09-10

Clearly a security threat that reaches well beyond the borders of Iraq and Syria. With large numbers of foreign fighters returning to their home countries. Time to rock on and wipe out the filth.

Guantanamo may start to see a rise in population there once again.

Clearly a security threat that reaches well beyond the borders of Iraq and Syria. With large numbers of foreign fighters returning to their home countries. Time to rock on and wipe out the filth.

...and so will the body bags thanks to gung ho war enthusiasts such as yourself. I hope you will be enlisting or sending your loved ones to fight.

Have the US learnt nothing from backing the wrong side in the Middle East alienating Arab countries and Iran, 911 , involving themselves in two wars costly in $$ and in American and allies’ lives...one of which caused the breakup of Iraq and thus the formation of ISIS? Obama supposedly got elected to extricate USA from war, not involve it more deeply.

Well, when the body bags start coming home again, maybe the electorate in several countries will think twice.

Once again I find myself on the outside looking in. I simply cannot help looking at this as targeting Russia. FDR once said that nothing in government happens by accident. I happen to believe that to be true. I spent too many years managing disinformation to not be suspicious at times like these.

Russia is clearly the prize that cannot be allowed to escape. It is so much bigger than Obama that I am surprised that he will have any thing intelligent to say on the subject. Porechencko(sp) will also be addressing both the house and senate regarding the Russian threat to Ukraine. I simply can't help but think the two are more connected than people will be allowed to believe.

Edited by Pakboong

Have the US learnt nothing from backing the wrong side in the Middle East

You mean that the US should have the backed the terrorist organizations and rogue nations that you make justifications and excuses for in practically every post. THEY are the wrong side.

Edited by Ulysses G.
  • Like 1

Have the US learnt nothing from backing the wrong side in the Middle East

You mean that the US should have the backed the terrorist organizations and rogue nations that you make justifications and excuses for in practically every post. THEY are the wrong side.

What I am saying is if you don’t want religious fanatics with a grievance from the other side of world come to visit you, then don’t go to the other side of the world to rattle their cage.

If George Dubya hadn’t gone there in the first place and his daddy before him too, the problem would not exist.

Saddam albeit a monster contained the situation.

A crack Delta Force trained team of local partisans could have taken him and his sons out without 2 completely unnecessary wars which have fragmented a nation, cost millions of lives, created a generation of suicide bombers and stirred up the present hornets’ nest.

Pretty dumb. IMO.

...and so will the body bags thanks to gung ho war enthusiasts such as yourself. I hope you will be enlisting or sending your loved ones to fight.

Have the US learnt nothing from backing the wrong side in the Middle East alienating Arab countries and Iran, 911 , involving themselves in two wars costly in $$ and in American and allies’ lives...one of which caused the breakup of Iraq and thus the formation of ISIS? Obama supposedly got elected to extricate USA from war, not involve it more deeply.

Well, when the body bags start coming home again, maybe the electorate in several countries will think twice.

Of course it will be sad to see body bags coming home. It will be sadder to see terrorist attacks on western soil though.

You don"t know me very well do you. And I have been there and done it. And I strongly oppose military intervention in the Middle East. But I now believe that an IS terrorist attack is imminent on Western soil. Time to clean out the garbage. Most other law abiding Arabs would agree with me. Where does that put yourself ?

And I strongly oppose military intervention in the Middle East.

...don't sound like it to me

Most other law abiding Arabs would agree with me

...you've been a busy boy. Who did you interview? The autocratic fat cat leaders in Saudi, Egypt, and the Gulf states clinging onto power courtesy of the USA. Try talking to the people.

Of course it will be sad to see body bags coming home. It will be sadder to see terrorist attacks on western soil though.

Body bags are not what I want to see. I have seen enough. But the use of the fly boys and cruise missile batteries to carpet bomb IS held positions and those that support them is.

Body bags are not what I want to see. I have seen enough. But the use of the fly boys and cruise missile batteries to carpet bomb IS held positions and those that support them is.

I can understand US wanting to defend an oil source in Kurdistan. Indulge my cynicism for a moment but that’s what all the west’s high moral ground stuff is about anyway isn’t it...oil! But why go chasing after IS further. It will only antagonize them and your terrorist threat becomes a self fulfilling prophesy. If you blow them apart, isn’t it logical that they will come to try to blow you apart in return.

Why would all these Sunnis want to be liberated by the US and its allies anyway? When the Iraqi army returns who’s going to protect them? They are just as bad as IS...the revenge massacres have started already.

I suggest that Obama and his allies have very clear limited goals, and don’t allow mission creep to suck us into another quagmire.