Insect Eating

bkkmadness

33 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I was having an interesting discussion with fellow member leftcross that grew a little too heated on another topic.

Leftcross' opinion was that only the peasants of Thailand eat bugs, and that the poorer people of Thailand that eat bugs are the dregs of Thailand society.

My opinion differed because I know that Thai people of all social levels eat bugs and even then I don't consider the poorer members of Thailand that are forced to eat bugs because of economic factors are the dregs of Thailand's society.

and yes, it is another boring Saturday night. :o

I think saying something like that just does not add up, this definitely subscribes to the very Thai "Johny Walker Black Label" mindset that looks down on say.. magic Sang Som when at a club or discoteque. These people love drinking Black Label and think they are extremists and will often frown upon such smooth Rumz as SangSom. Actually though you just embarassed your mediocre (and black label? come on) with soda water and just enjoyed a Sang Som quad with some cold ice. Anyways about bugs, i do not eat bugs but some of my Thai friends who are poor and live near my old room down south (re: 1500 bahts a month) are disgusted by the thought of eating bugs, and some of my Thai friends who are rich ( lots of millz usA bahtz) love jumping out of their BMW's to buy some large sacs of cockroaches + friends.

The Tropics is a walking contradiction, and what you enjoy to eat should not assign you to a class or place in society. Although there does appear to be an argument of some kind judging from this thread and that other one i think it is more of difference of opinion, closemindedness (sic?) and maybe just misquotation and misinterpretation??? hard to say.

Maybe it's only the peasants with good internet service that eat bugs:

http://www.thaitastes.com/product_info.php?products_id=9

but I doubt it. Those bamboo worms live in about as pristine an environment as any living creature could. I can't think of any other food that clean. Aroi !

Edited by lannarebirth

"Dregs" did you say "dregs" ?

Who is this pal of yours ?

I've eaten bugs ( locusts I think) initially out of curiosity and then out of politeness.

Finally stopped because when I'd finished spitting out the exo skeleton there seemed

to be nothing left.

It's just a matter of taste (gourmet wise not snob wise)

Once brought a Thai GF on a visit to France.

One night , at the end of dinner , suggested she try a particularly pungent goat cheese.

She smelt it and said "this goat not ap nam long time" and passed it back across the table.

:o

People eat 1. what they can afford 2. What tastes good to them . I have met many many poor people in Thailand and They do not live on a bug diet . But you will always find other people that like to look down on others for whatever reason , maybe it makes them feel better about themselfs . I really don't care what they think .

Years ago in the states chocolate covered grasshoppers , ants , ect. were all the rage . I never tried them because at the time I couldn't afford it .

Leftcross' opinion was that only the peasants of Thailand eat bugs, and that the poorer people of Thailand that eat bugs are the dregs of Thailand society.

My opinion differed because I know that Thai people of all social levels eat bugs and even then I don't consider the poorer members of Thailand that are forced to eat bugs because of economic factors are the dregs of Thailand's society.

:o:D:D:D that is hilarious!!! you might as well have just written ''please tell me i'm right and that i love and know thailand more than him''

arent you taking this a little too seriously?

:o:D:D:D that is hilarious!!! you might as well have just written ''please tell me i'm right and that i love and know thailand more than him''

arent you taking this a little too seriously?

:D:D:D

I did say it was a boring Saturday night and you did ask me to start a poll so here it is.

Come on leftie alls fair in love and war and net forums.:D

I have no interest in eating bugs, but there are plenty of people who do that aren't that amyone would regard as the dregs of society. In fact, just the opposite.

There are various social events that feature dishes made with various insects, including the giant water beetle. These people are from the upper crust of society.

Although I think this place is gone now, there was a huge restaurant near BKK where waiters and waitresses used roller skates to get around and serve food. I was regarded as the largest restaurant in the world. People from the middle class to upper middle class were the usual patrons. On the menu were various dishes featuring bugs, including scorpions and no shortage of diners munching on them.

Although folks who are poor may indeed eat insects out of necessity or just because they like it, are not the dregs of society. And from the above examples, I think it's pretty clear that they certainly aren't at the bottom of the social chain. Eating insects is just a matter of preference.

I have eaten bugs in the past, but I won't go out of my way to eat any more. Regardless, insects are not only plentiful and economical, but high in protein and other nutrients. At the same time, nearly all foods you buy contain a certain amount of insect matter. That means we all consume insects in one form or another.

Edited by AmeriThai

I have no interest in eating bugs, but there are plenty of people who do that aren't that amyone would regard as the dregs of society. In fact, just the opposite.

There are various social events that feature dishes made with various insects, including the giant water beetle. These people are from the upper crust of society.

Although I think this place is gone now, there was a huge restaurant near BKK where waiters and waitresses used roller skates to get around and serve food. I was regarded as the largest restaurant in the world. People from the middle class to upper middle class were the usual patrons. On the menu were various dishes featuring bugs, including scorpions and no shortage of diners munching on them.

Although folks who are poor may indeed eat insects out of necessity or just because they like it, are not the dregs of society. And from the above examples, I think it's pretty clear that they certainly aren't at the bottom of the social chain. Eating insects is just a matter of preference.

I have eaten bugs in the past, but I won't go out of my way to eat any more. Regardless, insects are not only plentiful and economical, but high in protein and other nutrients. At the same time, nearly all foods you buy contain a certain amount of insect matter. That means we all consume insects in one form or another.

Good God

Remember the place well

Was there in about 1986

Don't remember the bugs though

All those people looking down at bug-eaters while munching on lobster FraDiavlo and Maryland soft-shelled crabs would be interested to know they are all related-crustaceans,arthropods,insects,

etc.,are all from the same family.

Crabs are the ocean's scavengers and a lot of people were turned off from crabs after they saw Jaws and the scene with the girl's corpse covered with crabs.

Good God

Remember the place well

Was there in about 1986

Don't remember the bugs though

Yep, they served them. In fact, there was old clip on the televison (Travel Channel, I think) about it, showing diners happily munching away on dishes with scorpions and other bugs. You could get just about anything you wanted there.

I don't know if they're still around or not, but in the Sukhumvit Road area, you could also find vendors with food carts that served piping hot dishes of worms, beetles, etc. I think it was around Soi Nana.

My kids ( half farang /Thai ) love all kinds of bugs, and we are city dwellers.They also go to an international school so i dont think its just a rural thing.. I eat bugs when i have had a few too many, and find them ok. Getting back to the kids, they prefer bugs to say pringles or potato chips (crisps for US) . I am not being snobbish, but they dont eat bugs because they have to, they want to. And what about some farang eating habits for example, frogs legs, snails, haggis, tripe, lambs brains, etc. Live and let live i say. So dont get to bugged off about it all.. :D:o

Well, my wife is a real estate attorney and does ok; she is from a wealthy family who are quite high up in the Thai government. With that information I will tell you they love eating bugs and I can’t do it unless you offer me a large some of money like on a reality show or as cool guy Cory pointed out some booze.

I tried some sort of large, roasted bug (beetle maybe) in the South one time. The though/sight of eating this bug was a bit off putting, but it actually tasted better than it looked. Still prefer potato chips though! :o