Australia raises terror alert level to 'high'

webfact

Australia raises terror alert level to 'high'

SYDNEY - Australia on Friday raised the terror threat level to "high" from "medium" for the first time in a decade, on concerns about Australians returning from fighting in the Middle East.

The heightened alert means a "terrorist attack is likely".

"There are people with the intent and the capability to mount attacks here in Australia," Prime Minister Tony Abbott told a press conference.
AFP

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/breakingnews/Australia-raises-terror-alert-level-to-high-30243133.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2014-09-12

As the war in the mideast is far from over..the only reasons for combatants to return would be either totall disillusionment

or the wish to spread the terror.

Detaining and debriefing returning combatants would determine whether they were the former or latter.Maybe this information has led Mr Abbott to his current statement

• Like 1

Just wonder:

- does Australia have any major arm deals coming up?

- any new legislation on surveillance?

- any new immigration rules overdue?

Fear is always good to get unpopular laws in place.

Yes, it's perfect timing with the ignorant masses stirred up to near frenzy.

Could be something to make it tougher on boat people.

• Like 2

Just wonder:

I HOPE SO!

Just wonder:

Yeah, appealing to the base nature of the average ignorant Aussie (and theres a lot of them) is a tried and true Abbott tactic, learnt from Pauline Hanson. His inspired fear mongering re refugees etc is a model lesson in how to turn benign issues into votes.

But Pauline had an excuse - she is as ignorant as any Mt Druitt bodgie youre likely to meet.

Abbott has no such excuse - he's just plain ambitious. And nasty.

Sounds like you are one of those MISGUIDED Labor voters with short memories.

Just wonder:

Yeah, appealing to the base nature of the average ignorant Aussie (and theres a lot of them) is a tried and true Abbott tactic, learnt from Pauline Hanson. His inspired fear mongering re refugees etc is a model lesson in how to turn benign issues into votes.

But Pauline had an excuse - she is as ignorant as any Mt Druitt bodgie youre likely to meet.

Abbott has no such excuse - he's just plain ambitious. And nasty.

shouldn't that read Mt Druitt widgey?

• Like 2

Just wonder:

I would say that the "masses" or average, healthy citizen does not get all worked up one way or the other about alert levels. They may hear it has been raised, but continue about their functional, useful daily lives without obsessing or getting all worked up about it.

It is the outlier, paranoid, obsessive types that get all worked up about it one way or the other and try to make it in to something it is not.

Just wonder:

I would say that the "masses" or average, healthy citizen does not get all worked up one way or the other about alert levels. They may hear it has been raised, but continue about their functional, useful daily lives without obsessing or getting all worked up about it.

It is the outlier, paranoid, obsessive types that get all worked up about it one way or the other and try to make it in to something it is not.

There's quite a few of them around, not just Oz! Hence, "masses".

• Like 1

Just wonder:

None of the above,its just that the govt.stinks and its kick a Muslim time yet a again for team australia.Excuse me while i stick my fingers down my throat.

Just wonder:

None of the above,its just that the govt.stinks and its kick a Muslim time yet a again for team australia.Excuse me while i stick my fingers down my throat.

I had a muslim friend once who said to me in very disgusted tone. "You know, I just cannot understand why whenever there is terrorism there is always a muslim. There is not always a buddhist and there is not always a jew, and there is not always a christian but there is always a muslim. I just cannot understand why?"

Abbot is nothing more then a clone of John Howard and is just as nasty, sleazy and spiteful.

This raising the threat level may well be the right thing if indeed it has come from the Intell community - or it is no more than a distraction for something he's about to announce that is more sinister.

Bob A. Relaxed in Lampang

• Like 1

Just wonder:

I had a muslim friend once who said to me in very disgusted tone. "You know, I just cannot understand why whenever there is terrorism there is always a muslim. There is not always a buddhist and there is not always a jew, and there is not always a christian but there is always a muslim. I just cannot understand why?"

Well, there was a little incident involving something called the Twin Towers. And some fireworks they let off in Bali. Etcetera etc. The fact that most terrorist attacks occuring all over the world are perpetrated by muslims. Including all these senseless Sunni v Shiite attacks.

While I believe most muslims are peaceful people who abhor violence, I think moderate muslims should do more to counter the influence of the extremists in their communities.

There is no doubt the international muslim community has a major problem on their hands with this violence epidemic, which is based on a skewed interpretation of the Koran. But where are the moderate voices screaming out 'you idiots, you really think God will give you 40 virgins for killing peaceful people whose only crime is to peacefully disagree with you? You will burn in hell instead!'?

Jewish terrorism was a problem for the Romans; Christian terrorism - maybe the Crusades, definitely the Inquisition and Reformation. Lets just hope the muslim world can outgrow these dogmatic schisms and lose that massive chip on their collective shoulders before too many more innocent people die.

• Like 1

So what is the skewed interpretation of Islam you refer to simondan? As far as I see it IS and it's like all adhere to Islam as in the Qur'an and hadiths exactly as it is written. Crucifiction, chopping off of heads, rape, slavery, humiliation, subjugation, death for apostacy, death for non believers in Mohammed and his god, allah. Moderate muslims were polled in Egypt, a moderate country, asking what they felt should be the penalty for leaving the faith of mohammed 83% said death. It has been suggested that 75% of IS fighters are from countries such as Australia, UK, France and the rest of Europe. That is some 10,000 who could return to their home countries to punish the west for not believing in allah!! Less of course those who die whilst fighting their jihad in Syria/Iraq etcetera.

• Like 1

So what is the skewed interpretation of Islam you refer to simondan? As far as I see it IS and it's like all adhere to Islam as in the Qur'an and hadiths exactly as it is written. Crucifiction, chopping off of heads, rape, slavery, humiliation, subjugation, death for apostacy, death for non believers in Mohammed and his god, allah. Moderate muslims were polled in Egypt, a moderate country, asking what they felt should be the penalty for leaving the faith of mohammed 83% said death. It has been suggested that 75% of IS fighters are from countries such as Australia, UK, France and the rest of Europe. That is some 10,000 who could return to their home countries to punish the west for not believing in allah!! Less of course those who die whilst fighting their jihad in Syria/Iraq etcetera.

First of all let me say Im no expert on this subject so correct me if Im wrong.

Its my understanding that the Koran actually refers to jihad or holy war as an internal war within yourself against evil and temptation (including I assume the temptation to blow yourself up in a crowded market to prove some twisted point). Its been turned around for political and cultural reasons for centuries to exploit the countless idiots willing to believe there are 40 virgins waiting for them in heaven when they 'martyr' themselves (I myself have never understood the appeal of virginity in a woman but thats another topic). How many Imans strap on the bomb belt? Its always some poor uneducated ignorant beggar-class fool doing the self immolation.

Its been explained to me that the penalties you mentioned and other Sharia legal ideas are actually not from the Koran but are cultural practices deeply embedded in the traditional societies where Islam is mostly practiced. They are as much Islamic as May pole dancing is Christian. You can be a 100% adherent to Islam and still rebut death penalties and female circumsion (another abhorrent practice often incorrectly ascribed to Islam) without any hypocrisy at all.

But I think many traditional Muslims are simply unaware of this, hence the results of polls like that in Egypt.

The Old Testament prescribes similar punishments, but then its authors were of similar cultural backgrounds to the groups who would become Muslims back when it was written.

Many Muslims bravely refuse to subscribe to the violence and hatred preached by the extremists, and these are the people engaged in the real jihad against the forces of evil (the extremists). But why is more not made of their example? Why are Islamic leaders not standing up loudly and saying enough is enough, Islam is NOT a religion of violence, but of tolerance.

If I have got it wrong and Islam really is about killing those who dont have identical beliefs, then damn them to hell.

But I dont think it is. So why the hell dont we hear more from those who believe Islam to be about love not hate.

For the record, Im an atheist. I believe anyone who thinks there is a heaven after you die is putting themselves on and is in for one big comedown. Which makes this current life so much more valuable. IMO religious martyrdom is about the most pointless act a human can commit. It'd be a sick joke if they didnt take other people with them.

• Like 2