The One Word Question......"where?"

webworldly

Greetings!

Thanks to everyone here....this first month has been a good one. I was able to learn so much from this site in advance of my arrival by reading.....searching....and then reading some more. Very cool!

So....my serviced apartment in Bangkok has the three things I need.

1. High Speed internet access directly in my room

2. First class gym within walking distance

3. Grocery store within walking distance

I pay 45,000 BAHT per month for a studio apartment, and that pays for.....rent, all utilities, laundry (there's a washing machine in my room), internet, gym, and daily maid servicing.

OK....great.

There's just one thing. Bangkok doesn't offer the healthy lifestyle that I desire. I crave....clean air, peaceful surroundings, lots of trees and greenery.

If I leave Bangkok in search of healthier surroundings....where should I go? North? South? East?

I need a city that is modern enough to have High Speed internet available in the hotel/apartment room (not just the lobby).....and a modern gym......but I need a city that is not overrun with pollution or noise......and I need a city where 45,000 BAHT per month for a studio or 1-bedroom place can cover rent, internet, utilities, gym, laundry, and maid service.

*sigh*

I know there are great places like this......and I know some of you are reading this message right now while LIVING in one of these great places. I can picture how happy you are there!

Where are the places like this?

CHEERS!

D

Chiang Mai

Hey Jockstar....

I'm exploring serviced apartments in Chiang Mai right now online.

What part of the city do you recommend?

Any specific property....or hotel....or serviced apartment that you would think best for a longer term stay of 4 to 6 months?

CHEERS!

D

Chiang Mai

Hey Jockstar....

I'm exploring serviced apartments in Chiang Mai right now online.

What part of the city do you recommend?

Any specific property....or hotel....or serviced apartment that you would think best for a longer term stay of 4 to 6 months?

CHEERS!

D

Sorry i cant help you. I live in Bangkok. You maye be able to rent a house for what you are willing to pay in rent for an apartment. I'm sure others who live up there will advise better than me.

How does 5,000 a month sound, to cover all that (and more*)? Try the NE (Isan) near Khon Kaen. Put the other 40k in the bank (or pay me a finder's fee for the advice!).

*like three big rooms?

Edited by toptuan

There's just one thing. Bangkok doesn't offer the healthy lifestyle that I desire. I crave....clean air, peaceful surroundings, lots of trees and greenery.

You signed a 45,000B/M rental agreement and had no knowledge of the pollution in BKK???????? :o

You signed a 45,000B/M rental agreement and had no knowledge of the pollution in BKK???????? :o

I had a few things I needed to tend to here in Bangkok.

Once the "tending" is done....I want healthier air.

:D

Try Pattaya...thjey have good shoping, easier tto access than Bkk, plenty of rerstaurants, sports etc, and for that money you can get a house with private pool.

...and the garbage-strewn beaches will really lift your spirits, too... :o

Try Pattaya...thjey have good shoping, easier tto access than Bkk, plenty of rerstaurants, sports etc, and for that money you can get a house with private pool.

I seem to be using this phrase a lot to-day...utter bunkum.

A totally unsubstatiated claim. whereas the beaches in pattaya leave a lot to be desired this is a nape-of-the-neck assertion.

Mountains or beaches or forest......doesn't matter as long as it has clean air.......high speed internet.....a gym.....and a monthly rate of less than 45k BAHT all in.

OK....I know full well this is a difficult thing to find....but that's the fun part of the "search for paradise", right?

If being "in the city"....if being "in any city".....wasn't a requirement....would some of the mountain side resorts offer this sort of combination of amenitites/services....or would getting outside of the city likely mean no high speed internet?

overall Phuket is pretty awesome ...

we all do life here differently

but you sure aren't gonna find a first-class gym or a good grocery store on a mountain-side

I am guessing you don't speak Thai yet which explains the serviced apartment thing ...

I rent a 2BR house in a quietish beach town in Phuket pay 9k/mo .. ADSL goes in this week ...gym in town ,,, good food choices etc around. Best of all .. clean air and peaceful surroundings nesteled in a bowl between mountains and the beach

overall Phuket is pretty awesome ...

we all do life here differently

but you sure aren't gonna find a first-class gym or a good grocery store on a mountain-side

I am guessing you don't speak Thai yet which explains the serviced apartment thing ...

I rent a 2BR house in a quietish beach town in Phuket pay 9k/mo .. ADSL goes in this week ...gym in town ,,, good food choices etc around. Best of all .. clean air and peaceful surroundings nesteled in a bowl between mountains and the beach

You are correct, sir! I'm a no Thai speaking Farang at the moment. But....I am committed to changing that status once I settle in to the place I'm seeking....and can then work with a tutor long term.

For now....I need the "hand holding" afforded by serviced apartments. :o

A totally unsubstatiated claim. whereas the beaches in pattaya leave a lot to be desired this is a nape-of-the-neck assertion.

My best Thai friend just came back from a weekend in Pattaya, and mentioned the disgusting garbage on the beaches. It's gotta be bad when Thais (especially from Isan) notice it... :D

My best Thai friend just came back from a weekend in Pattaya, and mentioned the disgusting garbage on the beaches. It's gotta be bad when Thais (especially from Isan) notice it... :D

Issan being well known for its comparable beaches?

[

My best Thai friend just came back from a weekend in Pattaya, and mentioned the disgusting garbage on the beaches. It's gotta be bad when Thais (especially from Isan) notice it... :o

Your best friend reminds me of my wife. Whenever we go to Vientiane she never fails to comment on the garbage she sees but has never, in the 12 years I've know her, said anything about all the trash and garbage around where we live in Isaan. People just throw there garbage anywhere and everywhere. In Pattaya, most of the garbage is from Isaan people, vendors, etc., not from farang.

If you've been to Singapore, you know how clean and sterile it is, except for one particular place, "Golden Mile". It's where the Thai's go on the weekend to eat somtum and other Isaan dishes and buy Thai beer & whiskey. They sit out front on the grass and they throw their garbage everywhere exept in the provided garbage cans. I have a friend who's mamed for life after stepping on a broken bottle on the beach, he will will never walk the same nor return to the pristine garbage laden beaches of the land of smiles (and garbage).

Greetings!

Thanks to everyone here....this first month has been a good one. I was able to learn so much from this site in advance of my arrival by reading.....searching....and then reading some more. Very cool!

I pay 45,000 BAHT per month for a studio apartment, and that pays for.....rent, all utilities, laundry (there's a washing machine in my room), internet, gym, and daily maid servicing.

OK....great.

I leave Bangkok in search of healthier surroundings....where should I go? North? South? East?

I need a city that is modern enough to have High Speed internet available in the hotel/apartment room (not just the lobby).....and a modern gym......but I need a city that is not overrun with pollution or noise......and I need a city where 45,000 BAHT per month for a studio or 1-bedroom place can cover rent, internet, utilities, gym, laundry, and maid service.

*sigh*

I know there are great places like this......and I know some of you are reading this message right now while LIVING in one of these great places. I can picture how happy you are there!

CHEERS!

D

hello webworldly

everything you want is here in chaingrai,over the years the ex-pats that stay here for more than 3 months finish up making there home here.

if you want to spend 45,000 baht a month on rent etc you can take your pick of buckingham palace or the white house,but if you only want something that is on par to what you are renting now, i would say you can get for 8 to 10 thousnd baht .

hello webworldly

everything you want is here in chaingrai,over the years the ex-pats that stay here for more than 3 months finish up making there home here.

if you want to spend 45,000 baht a month on rent etc you can take your pick of buckingham palace or the white house,but if you only want something that is on par to what you are renting now, i would say you can get for 8 to 10 thousnd baht .

Hey Soap....I was just speaking with someone else who mentioned Chiang Rai. Can you give me an example or two of serviced apartment properties you might recommend there?

Side note: Interesting to see that so far most of the responses in this thread have leaned more toward the mountainous North than the beach areas of the South.

For many people...."paradise" comes hand in hand with oceans and margaritas. It's cool to see that the "misty mountains" region evokes the same sentiment from so many folks here.

CHEERS!

D

hello webworldly

Hey Soap....I was just speaking with someone else who mentioned Chiang Rai. Can you give me an example or two of serviced apartment properties you might recommend there?

Side note: Interesting to see that so far most of the responses in this thread have leaned more toward the mountainous North than the beach areas of the South.

For many people...."paradise" comes hand in hand with oceans and margaritas. It's cool to see that the "misty mountains" region evokes the same sentiment from so many folks here.

CHEERS!

D

I know you did specify a serviced apartment and I think thats the reason you were paying 45k.

It really isn't hard living without a serviced apartment.

You can get a house with a full time maid and all your utilities for 1/2 what you are paying.

Edit. four reely pour speeling

Edited by percy2

• 2 weeks later...

I like to reccommend to Chiangmai because it's forest 62.9% so it cooler than other part of Thailand. Anything I can help you please let me Know.

Your Friend from Chiangmai

Greetings!

OK....great.

If I leave Bangkok in search of healthier surroundings....where should I go? North? South? East?

*sigh*

CHEERS!

D

If you've been to Singapore, you know how clean and sterile it is, except for one particular place, "Golden Mile". It's where the Thai's go on the weekend to eat somtum and other Isaan dishes and buy Thai beer & whiskey. They sit out front on the grass and they throw their garbage everywhere exept in the provided garbage cans. I have a friend who's mamed for life after stepping on a broken bottle on the beach, he will will never walk the same nor return to the pristine garbage laden beaches of the land of smiles (and garbage).

Singapore is far from spotless. Many areas outside of the main tourist and shopping areas are filthy. Even the women's restroom at Orchard MRT Station has garbage piled up 4 feet high.

I'll take the idea of "clean" in Singapore over the same in Thailand any day, though.

Edited by thohts

there is a large ex-pat communitiy up here in Chiang Mai.

Like you, I had the choice to move anywhere in Thailand from Bangkok.

I chose CM because it is cooler, nowhere near the level of traffic and congestion as BK, Cheap, everything is 30% cheaper than BK at least except for the housing ..which is even cheaper. THe Thai population up here is very freindly towards Farangs..IMHO

12,000 Baht a month will get you a nice condo in Hillside 4, not far from the centre of town, a good gym, asdl connection in the rooms and great views of the Mountain.

OK pollution up here is as bad as Bangkok, so if you DEFINATLEY want CLEAN AIR then Chiang Mai is not for you.

But we that have chosen to make this our home accept that because of all the other benefits.

Good Luck, whever you decide to go

TP

Regarding maid service....if you rent a house or apartment that doesn't have a washing machine/dryer....would the maid take your dirty laundry away with them and then bring it back cleaned and folded on their next visit to your home?

I see how controversial a post asking "how much to pay a maid" can be (I read the threads....wow!....quite a lot of passion from both sides)....

....that said...in Chiang Mai....how much would a maid cost who comes three days per week to a one bedroom apartment or small house, and takes the dirty laundry with them (and brings it back folded on the next visit)?

CHEERS!

D

I don't really know.....but Maid Service up here is not expensive.

we have a full time maid who is paid 2,800 Baht a month...that does not sound a lot.....but she is slightly disabled and could not find employment elsewhere..she had never been a maid before, but she has been with us over a year and is very reliable and honest.

I am sure that you could find somebody quite easily up here to do the jobs that you require to be done though