The death of bookstores is bad news for Thailand

webfact

Judging by the quality of the Thai educational system, it would appear that bookstores are moot since few of today's students care to read (or are unable to read and comprehend anything with any depth). All today's students want are cell phones and TV. We will see the young Thai's minds turn to mush and with it the hopes of a better tomorrow for Thailand. Well done Thailand!

My students don't even know the latin alphabet, I gave them a worksheet to translate from English to Thai using dictionaries. They managed to finish 15 out of 30 words in one hour and told me that many of the words where not in the dictionary. So I showed them that if they just looked at the right place they would find them all in the dictionary, I checked (dictionary made in Thailand, not Oxford...) while making the handout to be sure as it was about agriculture and not common conversion... And these students are studying in higher vocational education (18+)!
Latin alphabet? Isn't latin a dead language? Please would an average western kid even know the latin alphabet?

Seriously maybe showing your complete ignorance on TV is not the smartest thing, and what do you do in Thailand "English teacher" by any chance

• Like 2

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Judging by the quality of the Thai educational system, it would appear that bookstores are moot since few of today's students care to read (or are unable to read and comprehend anything with any depth). All today's students want are cell phones and TV. We will see the young Thai's minds turn to mush and with it the hopes of a better tomorrow for Thailand. Well done Thailand!

clap2.gif WOW. Your comment shows that you sure had a very high quality education.

Edited by sitti

The decline of bookstores is not evidence for the decline of reading in general. All electronic reading devices don't hurt your eyes (ever heard of electronic ink?) and some devices are capable of sustaining battery life for weeks. The benefits of electronic reading devices far outweigh those of paperbacks. The sentimental value of a signed copy from the author, the smell of the book, and the feel of the book are some things people mention. Really? Does that really make a difference to you? What about the ability to store hundreds of books on one device, instantly looking up the definitions of words, affordability, portability, etc. The list goes on.

Treating this as a problem is like saying the drop we see in written letters via the post office equates to the decline in writing letters in general, but we know this isn't true because of email and other forms of social media.

My students don't even know the latin alphabet, I gave them a worksheet to translate from English to Thai using dictionaries. They managed to finish 15 out of 30 words in one hour and told me that many of the words where not in the dictionary. So I showed them that if they just looked at the right place they would find them all in the dictionary, I checked (dictionary made in Thailand, not Oxford...) while making the handout to be sure as it was about agriculture and not common conversion... And these students are studying in higher vocational education (18+)!
Latin alphabet? Isn't latin a dead language? Please would an average western kid even know the latin alphabet?

Seriously maybe showing your complete ignorance on TV is not the smartest thing, and what do you do in Thailand "English teacher" by any chance

Well, to be honest, the latin alphabet is better know as the Roman alphabet nowadays, although ever if that were termed, he'd have probably remarked how many kids know the Roman alphabet. giggle.gif

• Like 1

I don't know the Latin Alphabet either and not interested ... Always confuses me when I see the numbers written with that....

As for Book Stores closing it's worldwide, times have changed... Modern technology... Kindle etc etc..

Reading has never been my thing, rather go and see the Movie, but that's me.... And i am happy with that..

I have been resident 10 years split between Phuket/Pattaya/Bangkok and never, not once, have ever seen a Thai reading a book. Not a comic book but a real honest to goodness book. This includes my Thai wife who prefers extremely goofy TV shows/serials to documentaries or true stories. Reading, I believe died long before I got here and, maybe never existed in Thailand. I read 3 to 4 soft cover books every week and top authors can make me part of the scenario they write about -- auto biographies excite me and history, often belies commonly believed myth !

I cannot afford this number of books, ( 350 - 500 Baht each ! ), but am lucky enough to have access to clubs/individuals who trade titles for little or no money. As a child I went to the library daily as, in winter it was warm and summer, cool - neither of which was my home and the librarian choose what she thought would interest/educate me. Later, in school, classes had "required reading" and a report on same.

Most people forget that almost everything they see/hear got it's origin as words in someone's mind, jumped to paper, then the computer and now, even to phones. The various translations never totally echo the authors words so, many authors won't sell their books to movie producers , even at multi million dollar prices,to distort what they 'SAW" !

You know, I also have wondered at times WHO is ready all these books in Thailand. But in fact, go on a skytrain or metro, or sit down in a food court, and you will see people reading. But aside from how many are actually reading, I'm actually impressed by how many Se-Ed, Nai-In, and B2S bookstores there are. Their offerings are hardly spectacular (for anything approaching that, you'll have to go to Kinokuniya). You cannot go into a single shopping center or mall without finding at least a Se-Ed. If it's in a small format Tesco in some country town, it won't be too large.... but it's there!

And as far as wrapping the books go, I have never had any trouble with employees when I ask them to remove the plastic covering so that I can look inside the book.

While my reading in Thai is limited and sporadic, for a farang at least (and for the average thai not looking for academic work), the three chains in Thailand do a very nice job.

I have been resident 10 years split between Phuket/Pattaya/Bangkok and never, not once, have ever seen a Thai reading a book. Not a comic book but a real honest to goodness book. This includes my Thai wife who prefers extremely goofy TV shows/serials to documentaries or true stories. Reading, I believe died long before I got here and, maybe never existed in Thailand. I read 3 to 4 soft cover books every week and top authors can make me part of the scenario they write about -- auto biographies excite me and history, often belies commonly believed myth !

I cannot afford this number of books, ( 350 - 500 Baht each ! ), but am lucky enough to have access to clubs/individuals who trade titles for little or no money. As a child I went to the library daily as, in winter it was warm and summer, cool - neither of which was my home and the librarian choose what she thought would interest/educate me. Later, in school, classes had "required reading" and a report on same.

Most people forget that almost everything they see/hear got it's origin as words in someone's mind, jumped to paper, then the computer and now, even to phones. The various translations never totally echo the authors words so, many authors won't sell their books to movie producers , even at multi million dollar prices,to distort what they 'SAW" !

I don't read books either, I find them boring..... Even at School I never read a book, just bored me...

Unfortunately book-stores will not be missed nor their demise even much noticed in Thailand. They might miss the magazines comics and Thai style mills and boon rubbish but not books, The only books ive ever seen being read by any Thai are textbooks.

PS if books bore you then your reading the wrong books, try others, your missing out theres a few million to choose from wink.png

Edited by englishoak

I don't read books either, I find them boring..... Even at School I never read a book, just bored me...

Without trying to sound rude. You don't like books because you haven't got the imagination to read the book and make it into a movie inside your head!

• Like 2

I recently argued that reading physical book is much better than on a screen.This article bears out my theory http://www.theguardian.com/books/2014/aug/19/readers-absorb-less-kindles-paper-study-plot-ereader-digitisation

I only read articles online inaccessible here. I would never read an entire book for the reasons outlined in said article and like another poster, prefer the physicality of a BOOK. Together with the fact, it's very damaging for your eyesight. A fact to which, posters on here with an inordinately high post count will attest biggrin.png

• Like 1

Without trying to sound rude. You don't like books because you haven't got the imagination to read the book and make it into a movie inside your head!

Some are born with no imagination, others have it beaten out of them.

During a power outage a while back, I was sat outside with my Kindle (the old paper white type) and a Thai neighbour asked me what I was doing, I told him I was reading a book and showed him the screen.

He asked me where the pictures are, his response when I told him that you make the pictures yourself inside your head was "too hard"

A straw poll of one I know, but I am fairly confident that one could be extrapolated to many.

I hear what you are saying and I don't take offence, so no problem there, I have a big imagination sometimes too big, but books from day one for me , just drove me insane, boring as anything. And just could not be bothered... Art and Design was my thing.... And I never read up about that too....

I lived in France for Many years, and learned the French Lingo without a book too ?? So it can be done, my French is fluent, no crappy accents either....

Movies I do like, and on countless occasions I have been told the book is better, bit like I said, can't be bothers, and I am not a lazy person... Far from it., I am mega active...

I don't know the Latin Alphabet either and not interested ... Always confuses me when I see the numbers written with that....

You're taking the P, right? I V X L C D M are Roman 'numerals' - not an alphabet. My Lord, what is the world coming to? w00t.gif

• Like 2

You're taking the P, right? I V X L C D M are Roman 'numerals' - not an alphabet. My Lord, what is the world coming to? w00t.gif

You fell for the Trollus Maximus?

I live about 400 km from BKK near Khampaeng Phet and I have a library of around 500 second hand books and they take around 3 years to read then I start again. If you want to swap some out send me a PM.

I started reading books when I was old enough to join the junior section of the public library around 9 or 10 I think and I am 70 now. I have lived and worked in 38 countries and the only one I could not get English books was Angola.

Sadly at my age I am having problems reading and I need better light and larger text so I may indulge myself and buy an Ebook reader this year. James Hein, the IT guy for the other paper says that there will be a new and better version of the Amazon Kindle out this autumn and I was fortunate enough to have a friend who gave me a copy of his E library od some 1,400 books that I cut down to about 120 that I would like to read.

Dasa bookstore in BKK has a website and they update their second hand books 3 times a week. The prices are quite reasonable and they will post books to you as well. The only connection I have with them is that of a satisfied customer.

http://www.dasabookcafe.com/

Edited by billd766

That sounds like a generic ThaiVisa "off the shelf" response to a news article such as this. Is the Thai journalist that wrote the article the exception that proves your rule?

By inference, you're implying the minds of the young of other (read western) cultures will not be turned to mush with access to the same accoutrements such as TV and call phones.

I got news for you - the minds of western youth is already mush and we've got a 30 year head start on Thailand.

in my experience and experiences living in thailand having had an academic relationship with mahidol and abac (lecturing undergrad/ grad/post-grad medical sciences) and being conversant in thai and able to read and write; i would say the thai journalist that wrote the article is the exception. analytical/critical thinking people are exceptions in society. there is little to if any intellectual curiosity and just about all the innovation/ technology come from abroad. yes there are brilliant thai people (i have such friends) but they are brilliant in spite of the education system not due to it and/or they have lived / studied overseas. quite frequently thai journalists that write pieces in english have attained degrees in english speaking countries. sometimes they have sub-editors that are native english speakers (nothing wrong with this) yes, western education has deteriorated, but has a ways to fall before being comparable to that of thailand.

"The quality of our graduates is between mediocre and nearly useless." quote from a Thai http://asiancorrespondent.com/77060/thai-education-failures-part-3-pisa-scores-and-a-challenge-for-the-21st-century/

I recently argued that reading physical book is much better than on a screen.This article bears out my theory http://www.theguardian.com/books/2014/aug/19/readers-absorb-less-kindles-paper-study-plot-ereader-digitisation

I only read articles online inaccessible here. I would never read an entire book for the reasons outlined in said article and like another poster, prefer the physicality of a BOOK. Together with the fact, it's very damaging for your eyesight. A fact to which, posters on here with an inordinately high post count will attest biggrin.png

This is simply due to the fact that people need to get used to navigating on an electronic reader. You have to learn how to use the table of contents and bookmarks to keep track. "The physical feeling of pages in your hand so you can feel and see the progression." You can see this on an e-reader if you just look at the bottom. It tells you how far you are in the book and some of them have meters that fill as you read. This study is hardly evidence for anything. The navigation tools on an e-reader are much more efficient than a paperback book. You can search for keywords on an e-reader, and you can make notes as you read just like in a paperback. There is really no reason to argue that paperback books are superior to electronic books other than being old-fashioned and finding a personal preference for it.

• Like 1

Six yrs teaching at Mahidol U., media, I could not get students to get the assigned textbook and when I made one available, no student would read. Assignments were futile. If the student failed the class, "somehow" they continued enrolled.

Reading is not popular with today Thai students except Facebook and sms with language cut to minimum.

Bye bye literacy; bye bye educated world. wai.gif

if i may comment of the fall of bookstores; i recall as a university student carrying a heavy backpack full of textbooks. would have been great to have a single light tablet or notebook computer. motivation to learn/study comes from the inside and not necessarily from bookstores or libraries. nowadays so much of the same content and more in widely available online or in electronic form and is a blessing and timesaver. i realize the library works for some people, while for others (me) it takes being at home with snacks, coffee/cola and rock and roll to study effectively.

• Like 1

Six yrs teaching at Mahidol U., media, I could not get students to get the assigned textbook and when I made one available, no student would read. Assignments were futile. If the student failed the class, "somehow" they continued enrolled.

Reading is not popular with today Thai students except Facebook and sms with language cut to minimum.

Bye bye literacy; bye bye educated world. wai.gif

their medical students and graduates were quite good in that respect.

Edited by atyclb

It's a global development. Bookstores are closing down. Paper newspapers and magazines are under pressure as well. Internet replaces them. Same as tv is losing ground to the net. Societies are changing, as they always did.

That has nothing to do with minds turning to mush, nor is it a Thai prerogative. Employers now seek other qualities in staff than they did decades ago. Mostly the elderly cannot cope with it and see it as changes for the worse. They are wrong though.

Why are they wrong? Reading is a good thing, it helps develop imagination.

So does masturbation and video games. Books are great for those that prefer them but new technology is replacing books dependent on trees and polluting transportation. TV and Rock & Roll didn't destroy society like many predicted and the loss of vinyl records didn't hurt music but rather made record companies a ton and got people's music out to others who never might have had a chance to have their music heard.

http://publishingperspectives.com/2013/05/surveying-ebook-adoption-in-korea-thailand-vietnam-and-indonesia/

Edited by JohnThailandJohn

We are very fortunate in Chiang Mai to have several fine bookshops carrying thousands of titles of English and other languages.The best: Backstreet Books, The Lost Bookshop, and Gecko Books. There are also several outlets for Thai books and periodicals. I have a lot of e-books stored on my tablet, but I will always prefer the printed volume. There is nothing like a book.

Books took me out of an impoverished childhood to the Great World beyond, and showed me that another life, infinite ways of life, were possible. The Public Library is the greatest humanitarian gift ever bestowed on the People.

• Like 2

if i may comment of the fall of bookstores; i recall as a university student carrying a heavy backpack full of textbooks. would have been great to have a single light tablet or notebook computer. motivation to learn/study comes from the inside and not necessarily from bookstores or libraries. nowadays so much of the same content and more in widely available online or in electronic form and is a blessing and timesaver. i realize the library works for some people, while for others (me) it takes being at home with snacks, coffee/cola and rock and roll to study effectively.

When I worked for Motorola many years ago as a field engineer I used to take a crate of manuals with me to every job plus a great stack of 3 1/2 inch stiffy disks. One day my boss turned up on site with his Toshiba laptop and ALL of the manuals on a CD. 3 months later we all had them.

Nowadays I can download manuals of most things from the internet. Some progress is for the better.

• Like 2