Buying A Piece Of Land On A Island In Thailand?

Can anyone point me in the right direction on how to go about obtaining some land on an island in the indian ocean as i am planning to move to Thailand to a island there and i need to know who i can contact about building a villa on it, do i need permission for this if so how long do i have to wait before i have permission to obtain a piece of land and build on it thanks for your help i am all new to this building abroad malarky. :o

Littlecocovilla

You are about to be pounced on as you have raised on eof the most discussed subjects on the forum; one that will attract a wide variety of views. I hope that most will take it easy and appreciate that you have not been privileged to all the previous posts on this topic. Try searching out the forum for previous threads on all the issues concerned and you will then be able to handle all the comments that may come your way. Good luck.

bear with me as i am new to the forum, i don't want to have to search the forum as i don't know where to start and also it would be time consuming too, plus i thought id'e post first so other people in a situation like me who are want to find a answer fast rather than searching through the whole forum and not knowing what to do.

Edited by Littlecocovilla

First of all, foreigners may not own land in Thailand. Others will likely drop by to tell you how to circumvent this rule, and what are the positive and negative aspects of each approach.

Here's some light reading while you wait:

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/2006/07/13...al_30008549.php

Edited by lannarebirth

First of all, foreigners may not own land in Thailand. Others will likely drop by to tell you how to circumvent this rule, and what are the positive and negative aspects of each approach.

Here's some light reading while you wait:

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/2006/07/13...al_30008549.php

Would a pinned topic not be the solution to this very important question. One that is filled with accurate information. These questions bring out so many 'solutions' and interpretations that it would be great to have 1 pinned topic with just the facts. Everyone can then make up their own mind.

There are enough people on board with this knowledge who don't want to repeat it again and again and again.

My views are simple, don't buy if your not a Thai or if you have a Thai spouse buy it in his/her name. Trust issues are personal and often misjudged as can be noticed by the many people who loose the lot. There is just no way to 100% legally just own the land and build a house. Anyone who tells it is possible is talking about illegal constructions (about freeholding the land!).

The favorite company route is only for people with a real business and real shareholders, not nominees. If you don't know your shareholders how do you trust them to be 51% owner of your business. Contracts are as good as your laywer can make them. If you don't 100% fully understand the complete contract that your laywer wrote (or copied from his previous client) don't buy.

Don't rely on the fact that some laws are not enforced. When your unlucky they start enforcing them just when youre house is ready.

For the rest i suggest a few days reading this forum. And when you read everything just remember 1 thing again to keep your head clear. Foreigners can not own land. Period! Then make the decision if you are going to use loopholes and constructions. If it fails at least you went in with your eyes open.

Well that was just the legal side. Then you also have to be aware of scams and inflated prices and absurd maintenace costs on developments, land titles and if they are accurate and original. Islands can be more difficult with locals knowing eachother for a long time.

Edited by Khun Jean

I think Khun Jean may be right. A pinned topic would save a lot of repitiveness on this subject. One problem with that though may be that a lot of people's views on this are very entrenched and finding any sort of agreed advice would be very difficult.

As for my own humble advice, I would agree that owning via a business does have potential problems and this issue is still very much up in the air and no-one knows quite where it is going to land yet. There is also always the possibility that enforcement of Thai shareholder issues will return again at some future point as KJ stated.

If you have a Thai wife, you have a different way to proceed and that brings it's own issues with it.

In respect of going ahead with a company purchase, I would only do it if the amount you are investing is such that it would not destroy your life if it was either lost or substantially reduced as a result of the issues involved. I personally do not think that this will happen, but neither I, nor anyone else can be sure about that.

Here is one previous post on this subject you could have a look at, but do bear in mind that opinions vary from the wildly paranoid to the blissfully ignorant. Try to pick out the good advice that is there. Good luck.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=71212

Quick edit for clarity

Edited by Charma

I think at the end of the day, what it all boils down to is...

Whatever you invest in (in Thailand), you will have it for 30 years. If that is okay with you, or you can make your investment payoff for you in that time...good for you.

However, after that, you (for the most part) should plan on saying goodbye to it all. :o

Whatever you invest in (in Thailand), you will have it for 30 years. If that is okay with you, or you can make your investment payoff for you in that time...good for you.

However, after that, you (for the most part) should plan on saying goodbye to it all. :D

Or, just buy a condo which fulfills the legal requirements for ownership... :o

However, after that, you (for the most part) should plan on saying goodbye to it all. :D

True! This geezer wants to buy land, then build a villa...............Great idea!

After 30 years, thai government will have a good laugh at him :o