Scots who voted for independence showed us the way to go

webfact

OVERDRIVE
Scots who voted for independence showed us the way to go

Thanong Khanthong

BANGKOK: -- By the time this column goes to print, the outcome of the referendum on Scottish independence will likely be known. Still, it's worthwhile discussing the implications and the benefits for Scotland if voters now, or at some time in the future, say "yes" to becoming a sovereign state.

In fact, there is nothing to fear for the Scots, who number around 5.3 million and are blessed with abundant natural resources. They have oil and gas, coal, fisheries, beef, water, the sea and other natural resources. If these are managed properly, independent Scots will be among the wealthiest citizens on the planet. Take the case of oil: So far, some 40 billion barrels of oil have been extracted from North Sea wells. That leaves about 24 billion barrels to be exploited over the next 20-30 years. If you were divide that oil wealth equally among the population, each Scot would be entitled to more than 4,528 barrels. At about $100 per barrel, that would be $452,800 per person. And that's just one resource among many.

The UK government has been warning Scots away from seeking independence. But the threats are a paper tiger - that they would lose the benefits of a stable currency in the pound, the guardian of the financial system in the Bank of England, national defence in the military, oil and gas exploration and production in the UK's expertise, welfare benefits from the UK government coffers, continuing stability and prosperity within the Union, and so on.

The immediate "threat" frequently cited by the London establishment is loss of stability in the financial system should Scotland break loose. Uncertainty over the outcome of the independence vote has already spurred deposit runs on both Scottish and UK banks. If Scotland were to become independent, its US$260.9-billion economy would not be able to absorb the risks associated with the $2-trillion combined liabilities of the Royal Bank of Scotland and HBOS. How would the credit rating agencies assess the credit worthiness of Scottish government debt? Having the Bank of England safeguard the financial system, and enjoying the depth of the capital and financial markets that the Union offers, would be more advantageous for Scotland.

In fact all these arguments are groundless.

The first and most pressing order of business that Scotland is to downsize the banks so that their scope of operation lies within the risks that they or the country as a whole can absorb. Most countries have been stuck with "too-big-to-fail-banks", which have extended their balance sheets to get involved in murky transactions that threaten shareholders' capital and put whole economies at risk of meltdown.

Video blogger Ian R Crane offers a colourful presentation of the issues and possibilities surrounding Scottish independence:

"The people of Scotland have an opportunity to extricate themselves from the socio-psychopathic global corporatists and the temple of outrageous and excessive abject materialism. However, it is not going to be an easy ride.

If Alex Salmond and the SNP [scottish National Party] are serious about keeping the pound as the currency of Scotland, there will be no independence. Likewise if Scotland embraces the euro, Scotland will rapidly become a vassal state of the euro-federalists, who will asset-strip the nation in the same way that Greece, Ireland, Portugal and Spain have been stripped of their entire national wealth and much of their national identity."

To achieve true independence, Crane suggests the following, among other mandates:

l Establish an independent central bank of Scotland.

l Issue a new Scottish (debt free) currency.

l Settle any outstanding debt with new Scottish currency.

l Take Scotland out of the EU.

l Take Scotland out of Nato.

l Establish strict currency controls for the first three years of independence.

l Nationalise the Scottish oil and gas industry.

l Retake control of the National Health Service.

l Establish a state employment agency to provide work/training for all able-bodied residents.

These suggestions are also a model for any emerging-market country that wants to develop a stable economy and financial system. They mandate returning control of a state's natural resources, businesses and industries to its own citizens, rather than letting international corporations and bankers run the show to the detriment of its people's lives and livelihoods.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/opinion/Scots-who-voted-for-independence-showed-us-the-way-30243591.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2014-09-19

Take the case of oil: So far, some 40 billion barrels of oil have been extracted from North Sea wells. That leaves about 24 billion barrels to be exploited over the next 20-30 years. If you were divide that oil wealth equally among the population, each Scot would be entitled to more than 4,528 barrels. At about $100 per barrel, that would be $452,800 per person.

What a huge amount of BS that is. The oil companies in drilling, extraction etc will take 99.9999999% of it.

Edited by Keesters
  • Like 2

Freedom to Scotland!

Sorry it's not happening 58% no

Still a part of the kingdom

Only the 4 smallest councils have declared so far though it was a surprise that the Western Isles voted against independence. My girlfriend tells me that the Thai news is suggesting 52% against with 48% in favour.

According to BBC World the SNP have accepted that they have lost the vote in West Lothian which is one of their strongholds so if they have voted against independence, that sends out a strong signal that overall the "No" campaign have won the vote.

Alan

52% brainwashed by UK propaganda machine vs. 48% brave highlanders. biggrin.png Elections is a fake grab your axes and spikes show new Stirling bridge to the occupants!

I wonder what if it happened opposite and UK used SiS to arrest a bunch of Scotland leaders.

Edited by istinspring

I am English with no axe to grind, it is up to the Scotish people, but I really do think they will be jumping out the pan into the fire if they go with a YES.

The oil company's own the oil when they bought the sections and pay the government royalties.

The oil is expected to run out within 20yrs. They have taken 2 3rds of it now.

There is no bloody fish left either.

How the hell would they finance the NHS.

They will not get into Europe or be able to use the pound as their currency.

They more or less rule themselves

Hope they do not leave.

• Like 1

52% brainwashed by UK propaganda machine vs. 48% brave highlanders. biggrin.png Elections is a fake grab your axes and spikes show new Stirling bridge to the occupants!

I wonder what if it happened opposite and UK used SiS to arrest a bunch of Scotland leaders.

I think your response is somewhat emotionally grounded.

52% (or more) Scots have researched what Scotland would become as an independent state; the other 48% have accepted what Alex Salmond has told them, which isn't a lot...!!

Freedom to Scotland!

The Scots, Welsh and Northern Irish are already free; did you think they were caged up to ensure their compliance within the Union? This is not about freedom, it's about Alex Salmond's political career, which, I will wager, is about to come crashing down...!!

Dudes, it's not my deal really, i actually don't care. It's just little bit funny for me.

Just look at those UKs empire ambitions!

P.S. Personally i think that there is no benefits for Scotland or any other small entities being independent.

I don't really get the title of this article. Who is "we"?

Well, you've snatched the question. clap2.gif

Not being a Britt or a Scott I was wandering about "... us the way to go".

'We' also have a great wealth of Natural resources.

But to go the way the Scotts did 'We' are lacking minimum 300 years of Civilized traditions they have.

On the other hand 'We' have our own traditions. No judgments...

I was admiring the classic arithmetic calculations of dividing the National wealth into $450,000 per capita!

And laughing outloud imagining this happening to 'Us'...

Thailand is a very rich country populated with about 78M people.

I bet some are already buying iPhone 6 for a price twice that of its worth in the West (70,000 bt).

Any questions? - Sorry, not to me...

Utter crap,,,,lies being told by the snp,,everyone would be better off ,businesses as well ,more jobs ..

It was fairy tail stuff..

No currency with large numbers of businesses declaring they would be leaving..

Not part of eu so trade would be hard ,border controlls with rest of UK.

So many people work for government and especially the m o d ..

Jobs lost basically a mess..

Scotland would be cut off from Europe and UK and have a big part of the uk deficit to pay as well..

It was a joke,,16 year olds could vote..immigrants could vote but scots working in England could not..

Are they less Scottish...

Snp had it all there own way and still lost..

Salmond would have taken Scotland down a road of no return...a 1950s Ireland at best..

Scotland had her say and uk remains whole...

• Like 2

The man is full of s*** and luckily common sense has prevailed although I will now look at the Scottish nation in a different light when a very large number voted for a group of flag wavers with limited experience to run the country :-(

Now it's over I am relieved the Scottish electorate have voted 'no'.

I know there's a lot of banter on this forum - which I quite enjoy. But, my underlying reason for welcoming the decision is simply that narrow nationalism - like some, but not all of the 'yes' supporters were advocating, is the biggest problem in the world today.

I also understand that the last country to vote for separation was Czechoslovakia in he early/mid 1990's. They are still working on some minor outstanding problems 22 years later, although I do accept it was peaceful.

• Like 1

55% voted "no" and 45% "yes". The largest yes vote was in Glasgow, which you think is populated by brave Highlanders facepalm.gifrolleyes.gif

The good thing to come out of this is the likely backlash throughout the other UK nations who may demand some referendums of their own if the benefits promised to Scotland are not given to all areas.

By the way, most Scots are not as easily fooled or brainwashed - either by belated attempts at fear mongering or bribery from Westminster, or the blustering and ramblings of the SNP. They will have weighed up the future they want for Scotland and UK very carefully.

This could have some very positive consequences for the UK, and some not so for some politicians. The 2 really sensible commentary I heard this morning came from Michael Moore and Peter Hain, Both recognizing that people across the UK feel the need for change in the political governance and process.

• Like 1

To achieve true independence, Crane suggests the following, among other mandates:

l Issue a new Scottish (debt free) currency - whose value will be dictated by the market.

l Settle any outstanding debt with new Scottish currency - based on the market's valuation of that currency.

l Take Scotland out of Nato - losing many jobs in the process.

l Nationalise the Scottish oil and gas industry - These are, for the most part, offshore. And the islands have their own view of independence.

l Retake control of the National Health Service - The NHS isn't Scotland's to take control of. It might need to begin again.

Perhaps Crane should stand for the Scottish parliament.