Golf driving range - dark side.

shadowmaster1971

There is a new one being constructed on Siam Country Club Road. It's called a 300 yard 'boutique' driving range. (who makes up these descriptions?) I understand it was due to open in August, but it's far from completion from what I can see.

Its location is not far from where the previous one used to be, prior to house building. About 1km before the crossroads with traffic lights.

I shall take my boutique golf clubs to it when it opens.

There is a new one being constructed on Siam Country Club Road. It's called a 300 yard 'boutique' driving range. (who makes up these descriptions?) I understand it was due to open in August, but it's far from completion from what I can see.

Its location is not far from where the previous one used to be, prior to house building. About 1km before the crossroads with traffic lights.

Yeah go figure on the names! It is interesting how the driving ranges and SCC plantation and old course are hardly used, they seem to deter people from using them unless they are playing a round. It's a pity because there is a lot of potential to make money there from the driving range if opened up more for the general public!

Anyway as for the boutique driving range I be most interested too, though I don't have boutique clubs, I do have fancy club covers, hope that would suffice.

Yeah go figure on the names! It is interesting how the driving ranges and SCC plantation and old course are hardly used, they seem to deter people from using them unless they are playing a round. It's a pity because there is a lot of potential to make money there from the driving range if opened up more for the general public!

Anyway as for the boutique driving range I be most interested too, though I don't have boutique clubs, I do have fancy club covers, hope that would suffice.

I am a member of SCC and sympathise with your point. However, as I understand it I can go there and just practise - providing there is no tournament. I often do, as I am able to play off the same surfaces as the course, whereas I get no real help hitting balls off mats. I am informed that a visitor can use the practise facilities only before they are playing a round.

I am a member of SCC and sympathise with your point. However, as I understand it I can go there and just practise - providing there is no tournament. I often do, as I am able to play off the same surfaces as the course, whereas I get no real help hitting balls off mats. I am informed that a visitor can use the practise facilities only before they are playing a round.

I'm not a member but play plantation once a month as a visitor. Every time I've been there I have never seen anyone at the range when I have been. Though no doubt people do use it. I also seen on TV that some members at SCC have been refused the use of the ranges, because they weren't playing on that day!

If the ranges could be open up to the public, but obviously allowing priority to members, it could only promote golf in the area, for players to develop their game, as well as promote SCC. Perhaps having a golfing school at range could be beneficial, that would really enhance SCC as golfing destination in promoting golf to a greater audience.

Anyway let's see what happens with this new range on SCC road.

( yes agree practising off turf is far better)

Does anyone of you happens to know, if there is a driving range close by, that allows customers to practice on turf without playing a round on their course?

Sometimes I'd be happy to pay a few Baht more, not to practice on mats.

TIA

Edited by kdrayong

yes it is still open but cant answer opening hours

Thanks prk888.

I'll have to check out then and report back on costs and opening hours for anyone interested.

I was there today in the afternoon. Balls are 40 baht for a tray of 40. Hit off mats and was not crowded. Don't know their operating hours.

Does anyone of you happens to know, if there is a driving range close by, that allows customers to practice on turf without playing a round on their course?

TIA

I would like to know too. I have seen a few comments on TV stating that SCC old course you can use the driving range there! Would be good if an SCC member can confirm that, otherwise call SCC.

yes it is still open but cant answer opening hours

Thanks prk888.

I'll have to check out then and report back on costs and opening hours for anyone interested.

I was there today in the afternoon. Balls are 40 baht for a tray of 40. Hit off mats and was not crowded. Don't know their operating hours.

I was there too, I think it is 8/9pm it closes. Not a bad range, it has ball loaders for tees,good range of drinks, snacks, coffee etc. the pro shop looked ok, though mostly seem to have second hand clubs, but they do appear to do grips and shafts, and has a good range of apparel .

TIA

I would like to know too. I have seen a few comments on TV stating that SCC old course you can use the driving range there! Would be good if an SCC member can confirm that, otherwise call SCC.

Shadowmaster

I suspect you can't, although I'm not 100% certain.

I am a member and when I've gone up there to practise, but not play, I still have to give my membership card to the cashier to swipe. She then gives me a receipt for tray/s of balls which I then take to the caddy-master.

It's possible of course that swiping my card is a formality and not a requirement. You need to ring them and clarify. Sorry mate.

As far as the opening time of Long Range goes, it's normally about half an hour after sunrise. I go there often including last week at 06:40 and while there was only a skeleton crew that were mainly concentrating on cleaning, the range was open and they were serving drinks. Long Range is the best of the public Pattaya Ranges IMHO, and I've been to them all. The best balls are at Diana Range, but you pay well for them and if you're a big hitter you can clear the back net with the driver. If you can do that at Long Range you should be on tour biggrin.png .