Water pump help - need service

BangkokRobert

If it's cycling on off all the time and you have all taps/faucets turned off, it implies that you either have a faulty pressure sensor/backflow valve in the pump, or that there is a broken pipe somewhere on the outlet side.

Is water actually being consumed? If not, it implies a faulty sensor/valve in the pump. If water is being consumed from the cycling, you've got a leak/broken pipe somewhere.

EDIT: And checking for a broken ballcock in the storage tank is irrelevant to the actual problem, although you will have to look into the tank to determine if water is entering the tank when the pump is cycling (and all known taps.faucets are closed) to determine if you have a leak on the outlet side of the pump. I suggest you turn off your pump, ensure the storage tank is filled or allow it to fill completely so that the ballcock valve is closed, then restart your pump and see what happens. I'm assuming that you actually have water pressure at the taps - if not it could be as simple as repriming the pump.

Edited by Gsxrnz

I suspect this pump is to water lines rather than a water tank (and float valve) and if no leak may only need a recharge of the pressure tank (needs air pocket) so turn off electric and remove screw plug to allow water to flow out of tank until empty and then replace screw plug and power up - this should reset the air in tank.

A man in a equipment showroom demonstrated something like that. He showed me a value on the side of a tank that could easily be taken off to drain the water.

When I got home I found my pump didn't have side drains/valves like his. I did find one on the very top. I opened it and ....quickly flooded the room. Haha. I replaced the cap/plug. I didn't notice any change in the cycling behavior.

Yes agree..low pressure switch is activating and pulling in the pump contactor. First discount a water leak on the pump discharge side piping, if you have any in line strainers then make sure that they are cleaned as well as you can have a pressure drop across the inlet and outlet of the strainer. If it isn't those then pull the pressure switch out and make sure it's clean and free of debris. If it's clean then it's likely the pressure switch is u/s. Usually a buggered pressure switch is better replaced than trying to fix it.

A man in a equipment showroom demonstrated something like that. He showed me a value on the side of a tank that could easily be taken off to drain the water.

When I got home I found my pump didn't have side drains/valves like his. I did find one on the very top. I opened it and ....quickly flooded the room. Haha. I replaced the cap/plug. I didn't notice any change in the cycling behavior.

You are pumping from a holding tank with a check valve to prevent flow when pump is not drawing the water? Sounds as if may not be the case and you need to stop the input water flow and then open some taps to drain pressure in tank and then try removing the plug?