Where to take the family?

bkkgooner

Last day of work today and then I have two weeks off. I have a family of 4, a wife and two sons - two and eleven years old. We have never been anywhere really outside of Bangkok as a family apart from trips back home. We recently got ourselves a car and I would like to take them on a surprise trip away for a couple of nights - looking for somewhere that is reasonable price wise, has a nice clean beach, decent food, some stuff to do during the day other than the beach and most importantly is no more than 3-4 hours in a car from Bangkok. We might not even get to go next month due to my wife's work commitments but I would still like to get away somewhere before the end of the year. Also looking for places that are worth going to just for a day and then drive home in the evening or the next morning.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions you can give

If you like beach family life, close to BK, Cha Am is a good destination 2 hours drive form BK.. Very nice and long beach wit a lot of food vendors close by. Accomodations by the beach are good and a lot cheaper than in Hua Hin, 20 minutes away. Hua Hin is not just very expensive, it is full of foreigners, Very busy. Cha Am not, and only on weekend is visited with Thai families and students. Empty during the week. Cha Am is well known to be a bycicle friend town.

Many close attractions for the family minutes away, specially for kids. In the way from BK and to Hua Hin. The sheep farm, the old King's vacation home, the Hua Hin market, the fishing port, the monkey temple, many parks by the beach and in the mountains, etc.

Stop at the Cha Am Seaside Hotel, by Soi 10 and the beach, to speak with the owners, Peter and his wife, and ask for advice about accomodations by the beach. If their small hotel is not what you are looking, I am sure they will recommend others. There is also a very nice condo-hotel with pool by the beach for long term stay. For 2 weeks?...probably now will cost you about 3000thb + utilities..

I was there in New Year 2012. .Great place! Great pool!

Have a fun and safe trip.

Edited by umbanda

Hi bkkgooner,

Try Koh Sichang, a small gem of an island that is off Sri Ratcha.

Nice beaches, easy and quick access from Bangkok, lots of nice temples (if your wife is Buddhist), loads to do for the kids (including fishing trips).

Lots of good food but there is a restaurant that is run by a Thai and her American husband (Pan & David) with some great homemade food.

Plenty of accommodation available, and right next door to pan & David's restaurant is some accommodation that includes land boats, which are old boats that have been converted into rooms (great for the kids).

Details of this island can be seen at this website http://www.ko-sichang.com/

Also loads of details about the island can be found by searching this forum.

To be honest, 2 weeks on this island would be too much but I would say that the same holds true for anywhere (especially if kids are involved).

If I had 2 weeks I would plan on visiting 4 or 5 places during the trip and move from one spot to another as soon as the kids got bored of the place.

bkkgooner, I forgot to mention, as far as I know visitors are not able to take their car onto the island but there is a good and safe car park at the pier.

In case you do want to try this island, go in the week, as weekends can get pretty busy.

Also, at the ferry pier in Sri Racha (Koh Loi ferry pier) there is a turtle garden where the young ones can feed the sea turtles that have been rescued by fishermen.

Never been to Koh Chang but I’m told that it is very nice.

It might be worth following the coast around and stopping at resorts on the way until you get to Koh Chang.

A couple of nights on Koh Sichang, a night or two at the Mangoes Guest House (15 kms past Pattaya and easy access to the city http://www.man-goes.net/), from there round to rayong and then a trip to Koh Chang.

You will get to share some great spots with your family and you will not be tied down to one spot.

Ko Sichang looks really lovely looks like a great place to take the wife one Saturday morning and come back on the Sunday evening. Charlie's Bungalows looks like a decent place to stay in as well

Cha Am looks a good bet for the family so far for a few days with a day trip down to Hua Hin, I'm intrigued with Ko Sichang though and why I have never heard about it.

Edited by bkkgooner

Ko Sichang looks really lovely looks like a great place to take the wife one Saturday morning and come back on the Sunday evening. Charlie's Bungalows looks like a decent place to stay in as well

Cha Am looks a good bet for the family so far for a few days with a day trip down to Hua Hin, I'm intrigued with Ko Sichang though and why I have never heard about it.

I was doing what you are doing now (planning a family vacation) when I came across the website for Koh Sichang.

It really is a hidden gem.

For beach, we are usually going to Koh Samed - 2.5 hrs ride from Bangkok. For a half / one day trip I'd suggest RTAF Museum at Don Mueang, Fort Chulachomklao with HTMS Mae Khlong ship museum, or what was very appreciated by my 3yr old daughter, skytrain + boat + bus trip around center of Bangkok with frequent stops for coffee, ice cream and some snacks :)

For trips outside of BKK, you should check out Suan Phueng in Ratchaburi (small Khao Yai) and Kanchanaburi.

i vote for bang saray,15 km past pattaya and no hotels crowding the beach..many things to do in the area with the new cartoon network water park open some times nong nooch for elephants playing football etc. floating market all near....P M for somewhere to stay

i vote for bang saray,15 km past pattaya and no hotels crowding the beach..many things to do in the area with the new cartoon network water park open some times nong nooch for elephants playing football etc. floating market all near....P M for somewhere to stay

Bang Saray lovely place, have to stress though the new waterpark is THB 1,590, 1,390 and THB 1,390, 1,190 for Foreign/Thai adults/children, so is an expensive day as food and drinks must be purchased on site.

Khao Yai is great for a couple of nights. There are many inexpensive hotels near the park with swimming pools.

Make sure you visit the park late afternoon till after sunset for your best chance of seeing deer and elephants.

Only 2 hours from Bangkok too.

If you like beach family life, close to BK, Cha Am is a good destination 2 hours drive form BK.. Very nice and long beach wit a lot of food vendors close by. Accomodations by the beach are good and a lot cheaper than in Hua Hin, 20 minutes away. Hua Hin is not just very expensive, it is full of foreigners, Very busy. Cha Am not, and only on weekend is visited with Thai families and students. Empty during the week. Cha Am is well known to be a bycicle friend town.

Many close attractions for the family minutes away, specially for kids. In the way from BK and to Hua Hin. The sheep farm, the old King's vacation home, the Hua Hin market, the fishing port, the monkey temple, many parks by the beach and in the mountains, etc.

Stop at the Cha Am Seaside Hotel, by Soi 10 and the beach, to speak with the owners, Peter and his wife, and ask for advice about accomodations by the beach. If their small hotel is not what you are looking, I am sure they will recommend others. There is also a very nice condo-hotel with pool by the beach for long term stay. For 2 weeks?...probably now will cost you about 3000thb + utilities..

I was there in New Year 2012. .Great place! Great pool!

Have a fun and safe trip.

ผลการค้นหา
Cattareya Condotel (CC \"hotel\")in beautiful Cha Am ...
Cattareya Condotel - แคทลียาคอนโดเทล 275 Ruamchit road, Cha Am, Phetchaburi, Thailand. Call Miss Om at 0876624815 to check for availability. (from abroad ...
คำที่ขาดไป: katriya

The location of Catteraya is fantastic, with access to the beach and restaurants etc however the condo and units itself is rundown, has limited facilities and is reminiscent of Cell Block H. Large proportion of the units are rented by Uni students at rates of THB 4,000 per month so sheds some light on the quality.

A post containing Thai language has been removed. This is an English language forum, English is the only acceptable language anywhere on ThaiVisa including Classifieds, except within the Thai language forum, where of course using Thai is allowed.

Another post advertising a personal website has been removed.

I would suggest Ancient Siam park located on Sukhumvit Past bearing on the left. Once there you can walk ,ride tram, or bike thru park Many interesting sites to see If you climb the dragon stairs you can have a view to the coast plus you can eat the very cheap. If wife and children Thai it is free Costs us knuckleheads. Oh keep the little woman away from the 50 foot carved statue unless you want more kids. After that short drive to beach. Have fun.thumbsup.gif

Koh Sichang is also near to Siracha Tiger Zoo, and the open drive around ( Mini Longleat Type of place ) Zoo called Khao Kiow ( hope I spelled that correct ) both within 1/2 hour drive of Siracha.

And of course, if you feel adventureous, there is Pattaya, which is only 45 minutes away.