For all you vintage travelers out there...

noahvail

I don't quite go that far back,being born in 1957, but I remember walking on and off the airplanes via outdoor Stair case ramps in the 60s. I remember younger stewardesses on flights. That seems to be in the minority now. I remember getting decent meals on the longer flights across the USA. I remember the relaxed security and not having to be groped by perverted TSA personnel. I remember shorter lines getting on most flights except during of course the peak peak travel times. I remember the supersaver last minute CONUS things that TWA used to run. I worked in St. Louis which was a major hub and it was fun every other month to jet out to see some place I probably would not have flown to except for the $129 roundtrip fares.

I also remember when they allowed smoking on the flights and since I traveled on the government issued tickets as part of my job, that meant the cheapest coach seats and always one row away from the smoking aisles. That made for some pretty miserable cross-country flights. I remember all sorts of luggage issues, torn, missing etc.

Now, I long for my next trip to Thailand via EVA air, in my premium elite class seats. They are just fine and so much better than coach. The seats recline far enough for me to get 5 or 6 hours of decent sleep. The food is good. The movies are good. The radio channels have a fine selection. I actually consider the 13 hours from LAX to Taipai to truly be part of my vacation. A short layover in Taipai before continueing on to BKK and all is good. I typically wait for a bus at BKK so in the hour or two that I have I love the cheap downstairs food court. The duck over noodles and some iced tea. I only bring a carry on so no big deal to hang around and walk a little bit before the Bus to Pattaya.

• Like 1

I was born in '57 also! Had a great birthday party this year. I'm 57, born in 57 and it's 2557 here in Thailand! The next day, by luck, parked in spot #57 at the beach! LOL

I also remember smoking on planes. It was horrible. I remember being able to park right outside the terminal and walk onto the plane, arriving only minutes before departure. I remember being able to bring open bottles onto the plane. I remember being able to get a whole row to my self sometimes. I also remember the fares, in general, being very expensive.

• Like 2

Back in the '60's and early '70's, the International Air Transport Assoc. (IATA) controlled airfares with a heavy hand so the only way airlines could compete was by food and service. If you converted most typical fares back then to dollars today, you would be amazed at how expensive it was, but yes, the food was usually very good and the seats wide and comfortable, even in economy.

I remember that Icelandic Airlines was the only international carrier that refused to join IATA and would offer "bargain" flights from US to Europe, about 1/2 the fare charged by all others. There also used to be a lot of "Charter" operations. You had to be part of an "affinity group", I think 12 or more members to be eligible to book on a charter flight. Of course a lot of dodgy operators set up a lot of sham organizations you could join and fly the next day.

When "de-regulation" finally came along, hundreds of bargain airlines popped up going everywhere. I remember "PEOPLE EXPRESS", flying into LaGuardia from Boston for $19.99...kind of like an Air Asia experience today.

These days, airline consolidation threatens to bring back the days of large airline dominance and resulting higher fares.

• Like 1

My favourite flight if just for the food,was on Braniff airlines,Bogotá

to Miami or it might have been somewhere in Texas (forgot),

Leather seats,shrimp cocktail,steak,and followed by cream caramel,

with real knifes and forks.on china plates,and that was in economy.

regards worgeordie

I was in Houston Intercontinental Airport on May 12, 1982, the day Braniff declared bankruptcy and abruptly ceased operations. You never saw so many high fliers who were not used to hearing the word 'no' being told their flight was cancelled and their tickets were worthless for travel on other airlines.