M Cuisine reopens as M Bistro

jonwilly

M Cuisine located on the large expanse of concrete between Canal Road and Nimman has reopened as M Bistro.

It closed about 2 years ago and the building has been gutted and rebuilt.

A sign Stated opening shortly and this morning I passed by and a New sign said Opening 26th.

Previously good Italian food, thai owner/cook served his time at Piccola Roma, junction of SriDonChai and Chareon Prathet a place too expensive for me.

Always excellent food for at M with good cooks and excellent service.

john

Usual disclaimers from a man who enjoys fine dinning.

And the portions are small. But it is cheap, close to home and the people who ran the place were really nice.

By the way they all make food to local taste. For example, the preparation known Spaghetti Carbonara in Italy or any serious restaurant does not have any

milk or cream at all. But knowing how this dish is massacred worldwide I ordered it at another place popular near Nimman and specifically told the server "very light on the cream please".

When the dish arrived came out the noodles were literally floating in a bowl of heavy cream. I mean like a lot, maybe 400ml.

I reluctantly sent it back and the chef/owner (Italiano) came out and he basically said

"I know but if we no make a this way people complain".

Edited by arunsakda

Ian, give them the recipe next time:

Ingredients
1 pound dry spaghetti
2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
4 ounces pancetta or slab bacon, cubed or sliced into small strips
4 garlic cloves, finely chopped
2 large eggs
1 cup freshly grated Parmigiano-Reggiano, plus more for serving
Freshly ground black pepper
1 handful fresh flat-leaf parsley, chopped

Read more at: http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/tyler-florence/spaghetti-alla-carbonara-recipe.html?oc=linkback

For years now we have regularly enjoyed pizza from a certain restaurant in the old city. For us it was the best pizza place in CNX. On a recent visit we discovered that they too have changed their recipes and are now "Thai for Thai'.

Like Mekong Bob said "ugggghhh - forget it"

Nothing I had at the place with the plane was very good either.
If the Italian "Chef" made a dish as you requested and people complained just tell the table next to you to stop reaching over a picking off your plate.
I understand Italian by Thais for Thais (we're in Thailand after all) but just don't go to them as they're not to my liking.

Edited by junglechef

Ingredients

1 pound dry spaghetti

2 large eggs

Read more at: http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/tyler-florence/spaghetti-alla-carbonara-recipe.html?oc=linkback

The ancient Egyptians revered garlic as a diety.

I love garlic but its use here is certainly a variation on the traditional.

Although The Food Network, the Olive Gardens of the world, and even Master Batali himself appear to be in a conspiracy convince us otherwise

adding it to everything, even to Besciamela, Italian cuisine is not much about garlic. "spaghetti Bolognese" found on menus worldwide bears little resemblance to the

canonical "ragu' alla Bolognese" from Emilia-Romangna. (And It is never served on spaghetti). That does not mean that it can't be good and tasty, and there is plenty of room for variation from home cooks to pro chefs alike.

It is reasonable to expect dishes to be prepared in accordance with the traditions of the region where it is served. So Italian prepared for Thai tastes by Thais in CM can be just as good as Thai food prepared by Thais for American tastes in LA can be bad. It is what it is. I DO expect items to resemble their descriptions on a menu. A pizza Margherita with no fresh basil is not, it's a cheese pizza. And don't stir some dry herbs in mayonnaise, flog it off as sauce Béarnaise, and expect me to hang my head down and eat it anyway!

Edited by arunsakda
  • Like 2

Ingredients

1 pound dry spaghetti

2 large eggs

No garlic in a original carbonara never seen the parsley either, if you talking about the original there is only pancetta or coppa, egg , black pepper, pecorino or parmesan if you wanna stick to the original

Um, CM4Me. CNX is aviation shorthand for the airport located nearby. CNX does not precisely refer to the city of Chiang Mai. Many here simply say, 'CM is great'. I know it's good fun to occasionally glance at yesterday's baggage and the leftover flight stubs which do say CNX, but are you flying out today?

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I had a large pizza there a few weeks ago. I often dine in the late afternoon around 4 PM so the place was empty as I expected. Tastes in pizza vary greatly, but I put it above the pizza at Why Not and not quite as good as the pizza at the Beer Republic.

They have an air-conditioned room now, which is a plus on occasion.

• 4 weeks later...

Ditto to all the positive comments below, especially on the warm and friendly service. I have pizza most every time and it is always excellent. I like pizza crust to be crispy and request that they cook it an extra minute, which they are happy to do. My girlfriend, a discerning diner, chooses from other parts of the menu and is always happy. She says the Mushroom Soup is the best in Chiang Mai, and I have to agree.

But don't forget the view, the sweeping panorama of the mountains with Doi Suthep clearly visible. Such a nice place for a sunset dinner. Tasty food, good prices, great service and a super view.

Please stay open forever, M Bistro. And thanks for all the wonderful meals. See you soon.

Ditto to all the positive comments below, especially on the warm and friendly service. I have pizza most every time and it is always excellent. I like pizza crust to be crispy and request that they cook it an extra minute, which they are happy to do. My girlfriend, a discerning diner, chooses from other parts of the menu and is always happy. She says the Mushroom Soup is the best in Chiang Mai, and I have to agree.

But don't forget the view, the sweeping panorama of the mountains with Doi Suthep clearly visible. Such a nice place for a sunset dinner. Tasty food, good prices, great service and a super view.

Please stay open forever, M Bistro. And thanks for all the wonderful meals. See you soon.

This post has all the hallmarks of a self appraisal.

Just one piece of advice if you are new.....be careful how you advertise the panoramic view of Doi Suthep. I doubt that the high season customers in February,and March will agree.

This post has all the hallmarks of a self appraisal.

Just one piece of advice if you are new.....be careful how you advertise the panoramic view of Doi Suthep. I doubt that the high season customers in February,and March will agree.

"My girlfriend, a discerning diner, chooses from other parts of the menu. She says the Mushroom Soup is the best in Chiang Mai, and I have to agree." "But don't forget the view, the sweeping panorama of the mountains with Doi Suthep clearly visible. Such a nice place for a sunset dinner."

sounds like a professional writer who hasn't been to C.M.

If the Italian "Chef" made a dish as you requested and people complained just tell the table next to you to stop reaching over a picking off your plate.

I understand Italian by Thais for Thais (we're in Thailand after all) but just don't go to them as they're not to my liking.

nothing youve ever had at any place has ever satisfied you.

• Like 1

nothing youve ever had at any place has ever satisfied you.

Been back in the country just a few days and first time I checked TV and already getting it for just responding (and agreeing) to another's post as follows,

"Might explain why the spaghetti carbonara my wife and I ordered at the restaurant on the ring road with the plane outside it and loads of Thais was inedible and disgusting. Never dreamed they would put cream or milk in it."

Though I do like cream in my Carbonara I allow other's to their opinions.

As for my 3 sentences:

1. True and can back up with many reasons such as they don't take care of their product, hugely important and paramount to preparing good food. I saw large bags of their home grown lettuce out in front sweating in the sun and on the way to quickly rotting. Enough to turn off anybody who knows anything about food before they even ascend the stairs to the dining room.

2. As for my sense of humor perhaps that's not to your liking either.

3. Honest, reality, non-insulting and a perfectly suitable solution to recommend to others.

As for your sentence:

1. Incorrect - I like many and love quite a few restaurants here and often post about them

2. As you don't know me (I think) how do you know about all my preferences (speaking in absolutes is never recommended if one is to be taken seriously)

3. And may I suggest that perhaps in the future if you have a thought like this maybe you should post it in a question form if your really interested instead of just trolling.

Great to be back and in the swing of things, wishing everyone (else - just joking!) a great holiday season.

JC

Edited by junglechef

• 2 weeks later...

Enjoyed taking friends to M Bistro last night. Sea Bass with Caper and Anchovy sauce, Minced Pork Ravioli, Caesar salads, Mushroom soups and the nice House white wine. And the garlic bread is a nice treat. Always appreciate it when a restaurant makes the extra effort to make great garlic bread.

The new Kitchen Manager, Feng, is the real deal. We look forward to tasting the upcoming Thai dishes he mentioned.