Subway freezes fares til year’s end; taxi price hike looms

Lite Beer

Subway freezes fares til year’s end; taxi price hike looms

BANGKOK, 28 Sep 2014, (NNT) - According to the Transport Minister General Prajin Janthong, the subway operator, Bangkok Metro Public Company Limited (BMCL), has agreed to freeze train fares until the year’s end, adding however a taxi fare hike would very likely happen soon.

During the Transportation Ministry’s Saturday meeting, General Prajin stated that the ministry has yet to reach a decision on whether it will approve the taxi fare increase, saying that his ministry will wait for the Energy Ministry to finalize its energy policies at the beginning of the month.

General Prajin however said that a fare hike is very likely given the current level of living expenses. He estimated that the fare increase would be around 8-11%.

Earlier taxi operators had submitted a petition requesting a fare increase, citing the rising cost of living, and the rising prices of LPG and NGV fuel in October.

Meanwhile, the BMCL has agreed to freeze the fares on its subway services until December 31st. Previously it planned to increase prices by 1-2 baht starting on October 2nd.

xnntlogo.jpg.pagespeed.ic.rqyBfPGGLw.web
-- NNT 2014-09-28

Any conditions on granting the taxi fare hike? Like always use the meter or lose your license.. Don't drop pax off before their stated destination? If someone asks you nicely in Thai to turn down the loud music because it's giving you a headache, do it. etc,etc

I've been here six years and had some of the worst experiences with three taxis last week in sukhumvit area. I wanted to go to Central Embassy for lunch after an appt at Bumrungrad. (I have a knee problem so walking up the steps to BTS is not my preference).They have a new "appt system" for taxis at the hospital (at least it wasn't there six months ago).You pay 20 baht to driver when the branded taxis comes, they give you a number. After sitting for 20 minutes, I asked what number they were on...10 more still above me. So I went out to the street nearby to get a taxi. First guy says 250 baht. Next guy doesn't know what Central Embassy is so I said Central Chidlom. Ok he knows that. I asked him to take Petchburi road. After driving twice around the block from the hospital down suk 3 and back around the hospital, he goes down Sukhumvit and then he misses the only turn(u turn) you can make off Sukhumvit to get to CE...and continues to Siam Paragon and says you shop here! The third drove in circles(waiting in traffic most of the time) before I got out and took the BTS.

Hope Subway does freeze prices...... normally 2 for 1 at Future Park.. and you can choose ham or beef, or whatever tickles your fancy, at 50Baht for 2. giggle.gif

If you can handle a footlong of beef, then let's meet up at Future Park.

I'm exaggerating a little here (sigh), but the Italian BLT specials on Tuesdays are always worth going out of my way for.