Condo-staff out of order ... ?

Jimlove

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I guess it can just be so damn tiresome when the servants don't know their place. Next thing you know, they'll be addressing you by your name, and not even using Third Person! "Would Master John care for some more Elderberry tea?"

In the condo that we live in, most of the staff live in the same building. And while they do also have a communal 'staff room' with TV and cooking facilities, they often congregate in the lobby, sitting on the sofas (Oh MY GOD!) while their children run and play. The women often sit there doing their knitting or crocheting while enjoying each others company. While there are two elevators, one marked 'transport,' the staff will use which ever one comes first unless they have supplies to be loaded or unloaded. They are people too. Why shouldn't they use the 'people' elevator?

It's a good building, with two mini-marts, a restaurant, swimming pool, and several floors of parking spaces. Dedicated spaces for cars, large motorcycles, and smaller motor scooters. There are signs for Visitor Parking and Resident Parking. The staff park where ever they wish to. Why shouldn't they? They are residents too. In the morning they are all busy washing the windows, polishing the marble floors, mopping the elevators, etc., etc. They work hard and get their jobs done. No reason they shouldn't take a break now and then. Siesta? Call it what you will. It's pretty common all over Thailand.

When I see a staff member and smile at them, they smile back. But if I see them twenty times a day while they are busy at work I don't expect them to smile at me each time I pass. They are busy. They are working. It's not their 'job' to smile at me over and over again all day long. As I said before, I think you are suffering from an acute case of 'Culture Shock.' If you want more Westernized behavior, check into the Holiday Inn. You won't see any staff sitting on the sofas in the lobby.

Good post... and it it should be the final word in this contentious thread.

The OP sounds almost like a characterture of the clueless, arrogant farang who spoils the scene for the rest of us.

+1 Excellent post. OP really does sound arrogant and doesn't understand Thai culture whatsoever.

• Like 2

Sorry however it is possible for a condominium to have a 95% foreign occupancy since many are purchased in company names and several Thai owners prefer to rent to foreigners since they often pay higher rents. Most of the residents where I live in Pattaya are foreigners and we have an amazing Thai staff who do excellent work and treat us with respect.

• Like 2

The foreign ownership quota for any condo is 49%. I doubt if 90% of the Thai owners are renting to foreigners? Hence people laughing at you for your 95% assumption.

What you need to do is address the poor management at the correct level and put an action plan in place for change. But, it is only really the owner of your Condo (along with fellow co-owners) that can collectively kick the Chairman of the Committee in the arse and into action.

There has been threads on the management or lack of plus dictatorship for them in the past. I see nothing has changed.

• Like 1

The foreign ownership quota for any condo is 49%. I doubt if 90% of the Thai owners are renting to foreigners? Hence people laughing at you for your 95% assumption.

What you need to do is address the poor management at the correct level and put an action plan in place for change. But, it is only really the owner of your Condo (along with fellow co-owners) that can collectively kick the Chairman of the Committee in the arse and into action.

There has been threads on the management or lack of plus dictatorship for them in the past. I see nothing has changed.

Own a condo there for the past 12 years, never had a problem. A few years back I was in the lobby early in the morning a guest was waiting for a ambulance in a very distressed state. A staff member was sitting with him holding his hand, comforting him.

I was touched by it, it never left me. A good a place as any to hang your hat.

Welcome to the forum Eramus.

It's good to have someone posting who has experience of Chiang Mai, along with insight, and sensibility.

Susento, Your friends, who were among the 60-70 million Thai speakers decided to join the approx. one billion English speakers. Smart move.

You miss the point entirely. If they'd moved to Russia they'd have learnt to speak Russian. Unlike the Great White Entitled Bwanas on this thread they realise that they have to try and fit in to the place that they're living rather than expecting the rest of the world to adapt to their requirements.

So I guess next time you rent a room in Thailand and you end up with a squat toilet, no air conditioning, dogs running around the swimming pool and a karaoke bar next door playing loud music till 2 AM, you'll be a very understanding guest who will give the hotel a 5-star review on Trip Advisor for being so authentically Thai.

Susento, Your friends, who were among the 60-70 million Thai speakers decided to join the approx. one billion English speakers. Smart move.

You miss the point entirely. If they'd moved to Russia they'd have learnt to speak Russian. Unlike the Great White Entitled Bwanas on this thread they realise that they have to try and fit in to the place that they're living rather than expecting the rest of the world to adapt to their requirements.

So I guess next time you rent a room in Thailand and you end up with a squat toilet, no air conditioning, dogs running around the swimming pool and a karaoke bar next door playing loud music till 2 AM, you'll be a very understanding guest who will give the hotel a 5-star review on Trip Advisor for being so authentically Thai.

We can only hope that someone who can speak Passa Thai, as the OP stated he can, would have the wisdom to look at the bathroom and check the neighborhood in the evening before plonking down money for a long term lease. (Not that those were the OP's stated objections,) Perhaps even stand outside and talk with people who come out, asking opinions. Intelligent people don't buy a pig in a poke...

Edited by FolkGuitar
  • Like 2

We can only hope that someone who can speak Passa Thai, as the OP stated he can, would have the wisdom to look at the bathroom and check the neighborhood in the evening before plonking down money for a long term lease. (Not that those were the OP's stated objections,) Perhaps even stand outside and talk with people who come out, asking opinions. Intelligent people don't buy a pig in a poke...

If you do not want a pig in a poke, you have to sleep there all night in your car or a tent for at least 10 nights to know how it is.
  • Like 1

Whooooooooooooosh!

Interesting banter especially as it's mainly civil but I don't understand when l hear (read) how "it ruins it for the rest of us" as posted in his thread and especially whenever tipping is mentioned. Does one bad apple really ruin the the whole batch? Do all locals see the actions of one or a few falang and really believe we all act exactly the same? I'm sure many have preconvied notions for many reasons anyways but I'm not going to worry about that or the ones who lack manners or worse.

I guess we take a tryout for 1-2 weeks at future - think the owner will be okay with that ...

Next thing is that the RS-owners will claim that wifi is working perfect 55555

Edited by onthedarkside
Non English remark removed as per forum rules

I guess we take a tryout for 1-2 weeks at future - think the owner will be okay with that ...

Next thing is that the RS-owners will claim that wifi is working perfect 55555

If you do not want a pig in a poke, you have to sleep there all night in your car or a tent for at least 10 nights to know how it is.

Before we rented our current condo, we spent a few hours over 3-4 evenings (including a Friday and Saturday night) making sure there wasn't a night-time karaoke bar being set up after the sun when down, nor late-night revelers in party places on other sides of the building. No need for us to sleep in the car, nor stay on site for hours on end. We just walked around the building and around the block early in the evening, then again late in the evening before going to sleep. Once more mid-morning. Took about 30 minutes each time to 'get the feel' of the neighborhood at different times of the day and on different days of the week. A worthwhile expenditure of time to insure a long-term lease commitment. Of course things can change, but at least we know that we are at least starting out on the best footing. Unfortunately, we forgot to take into consideration 'Emergency Snow Removal' days and the parking mess that can create! tongue.png

Edited by onthedarkside
remarks removed

You are referring to people who are not looking to fit into the Thai way of life. Merely the benefits they get from the cheaper prices.

• Like 1

I

...............I think you are suffering from an acute case of 'Culture Shock.' Time for you to chill out, step back and watch your new world for a few months before making a decision that the world is wrong.

#3 So normal that staff is floating in sofas unless sign says its for residents/guests ... I call bs on that !

I guess it can just be so damn tiresome when the servants don't know their place. Next thing you know, they'll be addressing you by your name, and not even using Third Person! "Would Master John care for some more Elderberry tea?"

In the condo that we live in, most of the staff live in the same building. And while they do also have a communal 'staff room' with TV and cooking facilities, they often congregate in the lobby, sitting on the sofas (Oh MY GOD!) while their children run and play. The women often sit there doing their knitting or crocheting while enjoying each others company. While there are two elevators, one marked 'transport,' the staff will use which ever one comes first unless they have supplies to be loaded or unloaded. They are people too. Why shouldn't they use the 'people' elevator?

It's a good building, with two mini-marts, a restaurant, swimming pool, and several floors of parking spaces. Dedicated spaces for cars, large motorcycles, and smaller motor scooters. There are signs for Visitor Parking and Resident Parking. The staff park where ever they wish to. Why shouldn't they? They are residents too. In the morning they are all busy washing the windows, polishing the marble floors, mopping the elevators, etc., etc. They work hard and get their jobs done. No reason they shouldn't take a break now and then. Siesta? Call it what you will. It's pretty common all over Thailand.

When I see a staff member and smile at them, they smile back. But if I see them twenty times a day while they are busy at work I don't expect them to smile at me each time I pass. They are busy. They are working. It's not their 'job' to smile at me over and over again all day long. As I said before, I think you are suffering from an acute case of 'Culture Shock.' If you want more Westernized behavior, check into the Holiday Inn. You won't see any staff sitting on the sofas in the lobby.

"busy at Work, they are working"" - exactly my point ..... 55555

You are referring to people who are not looking to fit into the Thai way of life. Merely the benefits they get from the cheaper prices.

I would say that group of people includes a lot of foreigners living in Chiang Mai. They want more Western food restaurants, more shopping malls, sidewalks like in Western countries, bike paths on the roads that already have too may cars, changes to Thai language words that refer to foreigners.

Things will change. My opinion is the changes should be what the Thai citizens want...... not what expats want.

In my opinion, the new generation of Thais want the same thing foreigners want. Just look at print ads and TV commercials, it's a good reflection of what they aspire to become. Some of it good, some of it bad.

I

...............I think you are suffering from an acute case of 'Culture Shock.' Time for you to chill out, step back and watch your new world for a few months before making a decision that the world is wrong.

#3 So normal that staff is floating in sofas unless sign says its for residents/guests ... I call bs on that !

"busy at Work, they are working"" - exactly my point ..... 55555

It's good that you can laugh.

After all, you have to live there another 11 months, right? cheesy.gif

• Like 1

woaaah.....the OP sounds like a real imperialistic creep! maybe some of those Thai dudes he speaks so disparagingly of will catch him in the car park one night and knock him around a bit and teach him some manners.

One on one would be just fine but that's not how it goes down in your beloved Land of 2 Faces - Here its the coward-style: 3 or more thais on one, right ...bah.gif