Acceptance of each others cultures

keithkarmann

In my seven years here I have been taken to Temples where I was expected to bow to deities I have no belief in, partake in ceremonies that are not of my religion. I have been taken to villages and expected to eat food that is totally alien to my culture, sleep on floors, use unsanitary toilets and sit around being totally ignored. I have bought whiskey and food for people who drank and ate it then walked away without so much as a glance in my direction. I did this all with a smile, never complaining. All for the sake of not offending another persons culture.

What have I acheived? Nothing except a realisation that when push comes to shove the Brit is a very polite (by western standards) person. But after a while I also realised that whatever I did I would not change these peoples feelings or attitude to me. When, after two years, your partners mother still refers to you as the farang you know things ain't gonna change.

So now I do none of the above. If my current gf wants to go to the temple she goes alone. If we are out on a trip and a temple visit is part of it I might have a look around but generally just wait outside. I don't do village visits and I choose what goes in my mouth. I have explained why and never disrespect her religion or family I just choose not to visit them. So I am totally with the OP on this.

what DEITIES were these you bowed to? my mother in law has never called me anything but my name. and folks always say thank you when i pay for a meal. i wonder what it is about you?

Yes you are quite right. Your experience is different to mine so it must be me that is at fault. Well done Sherlock.

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In my seven years here I have been taken to Temples where I was expected to bow to deities I have no belief in, partake in ceremonies that are not of my religion. I have been taken to villages and expected to eat food that is totally alien to my culture, sleep on floors, use unsanitary toilets and sit around being totally ignored. I have bought whiskey and food for people who drank and ate it then walked away without so much as a glance in my direction. I did this all with a smile, never complaining. All for the sake of not offending another persons culture.

What have I acheived? Nothing except a realisation that when push comes to shove the Brit is a very polite (by western standards) person. But after a while I also realised that whatever I did I would not change these peoples feelings or attitude to me. When, after two years, your partners mother still refers to you as the farang you know things ain't gonna change.

So now I do none of the above. If my current gf wants to go to the temple she goes alone. If we are out on a trip and a temple visit is part of it I might have a look around but generally just wait outside. I don't do village visits and I choose what goes in my mouth. I have explained why and never disrespect her religion or family I just choose not to visit them. So I am totally with the OP on this.

what DEITIES were these you bowed to? my mother in law has never called me anything but my name. and folks always say thank you when i pay for a meal. i wonder what it is about you?

Yes you are quite right. Your experience is different to mine so it must be me that is at fault. Well done Sherlock.

me and every other farang i know in thailand

• 2 weeks later...