Royal Decree Sets Oct 15 Election Date

Jai Dee

Royal Decree sets Oct 15 election date

His Majesty the King has signed the Royal Decree setting October 15 as the next general election date, but with the instruction the new poll must be free and fair, it emerged yesterday.

While royal endorsement of the election date will be welcomed by caretaker Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra and his Thai Rak Thai (TRT) party, analysts claimed there were still several factors that could impede a comprehensive resolution of the political crisis.

With a firm election date in place, attention will once again be focused on the three remaining Election Commission (EC) members, who are accused of favoring TRT.

As the news broke that the general election date had been given royal approval, the Central Administrative Court yesterday consented to investigate allegations of illegitimacy against the commissioners.

Jointly addressing the press yesterday, government spokesman Surapong Suebwonglee and Cabinet Secretary-General Rongpol Charoenphan jointly announced that His Majesty, before undergoing spinal surgery at Siriraj Hospital on Thursday, had endorsed the Royal Decree to hold a general election in October – as proposed by the caretaker government in May.

Surapong added that the Royal Decree was published in the Royal Gazette yesterday and that it would take effect on August 24.

Rongpol said His Majesty had conveyed a message to Thaksin when endorsing the decree, delivered by his principal private secretary.

“The King approved the Royal Decree calling for the new election in the hope that it would bring peace to the country as quickly as possible,” said Rongpol. “The King also wants the new election to be fair and to run smoothly.”

Top TRT executives were quick to praise the royal endorsement of the election date, which they said would resolve the political crisis that has rumbled on since Thaksin dissolved Parliament in February in response to mounting calls to step down.

“The people want an election. It will pave the way for a permanent government that can bring about economic and social stability,” said Suriya Jungrungreangkit, the deputy prime minister.

“All sides must accept the Royal Decree, which is the best solution to the current political crisis. Democracy gives people the power to decide.”

Former opposition parties that boycotted the April 2 general election immediately announced their compliance with the Royal Decree. But they continued to be vocal in their criticism of the EC “Everyone is worried about the EC because if the current commissioners are responsible for organizing the election, then problems may continue to persist after the election,” Abhisit said.

Deputy Chat Thai leader Somsak Prissanananthakul agreed that the current EC lineup could create problems.

However, he refused to clarify whether the party wanted the whole commission to be replaced, or whether it just wanted the two vacant EC seats to be filled.

However, TRT immediately called on the Supreme Court to begin the process of finding two replacement commissioners to fill the empty seats following the death of one commissioner and the resignation of the other in May.

Thaksin said the current EC commissioners – Pol Gen Wasana Permlarp, Prinya Nakchudtree and Virachai Naewboonnien – are perfectly capable of overseeing the new election and that efforts to fill the empty seats must be expedited.

“I hope relevant organizations will rapidly appoint two new EC commissioners in time. It is now time for reconciliation on all sides,” Thaksin said.

“I think the caretaker government is open to dialogue with all sides, in compliance with His Majesty’s wishes.”

On Thursday, Chat Thai leader Banharn Silpa-archa agreed to meet Thaksin to resolve political differences – a move analysts say suggests it intends to form a coalition with TRT in the next government.

Yesterday, the EC announced that party-list and constituency candidates may register to contest the election from September 5 to 7 and from September 8 to 12 respectively.

Despite announcing on the day he dissolved Parliament that he would not lead the next government, the government spokesman said Thaksin will be the number one party-list candidate in the next election.

Surat Horachaikul, a political scientist at Chulalongkorn University, said it was unprecedented for His Majesty to give instructions when endorsing a Royal Decree.

“From what I can remember, His Majesty the King has never attached any remarks to Royal Decrees, or any other legislation,” Surat said.

“However, it clearly shows that the King believes strongly in democracy.”

Surat acknowledged that the TRT party appears to have the advantage over its political opponents.

“With the election in place, public support for PAD [People’s Alliance for Democracy] will diminish greatly,” he said.

However, Surat pointed out that now that the election date had been set, the way was clear for the Constitutional Court to consider the dissolution cases against both the TRT and Democrat parties for election fraud in the failed April 2 poll.

Source: ThaiDay - 22 July 2006

• Replies 503
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

From the article above:

"His Majesty the King has signed the Royal Decree setting October 15 as the next general election date, but with the instruction the new poll must be free and fair, it emerged yesterday."

Can anyone find the instruction from His Majesty the King as mentioned above. I'd like to find a direct translation since I do not trust anyone connected with the gov't to convey its meaning accurately.

Can anyone find the instruction from His Majesty the King as mentioned above. I'd like to find a direct translation since I do not trust anyone connected with the gov't to convey its meaning accurately.
Surapong added that the Royal Decree was published in the Royal Gazette yesterday and that it would take effect on August 24.

You could try here.

/Edit - this might be a better website chownah.

Edited by Jai Dee

I love precedents more than presidents, :o so I found this very interesting:

"Surat Horachaikul, a political scientist at Chulalongkorn University, said it was unprecedented for His Majesty to give instructions when endorsing a Royal Decree.

“From what I can remember, His Majesty the King has never attached any remarks to Royal Decrees, or any other legislation,” Surat said.

I have seen references to a "90-day rule" about switching parties before an election.

Does this mean that the only people who are registered members of a party now will be able to be candidates, and they can only be a candidate of that party?

I thought it was 90 days before registering to run....not before the election. If this is correct then it is already too late to change parties. Is this wrong?

According to what was put in the local newspaper, JDinAsia is correct, and his question of what happens if the TRT and Democrates are dissolved it the big question of the day.

According to the Constitution of the Kingdom of Thailand:

Section 107.

A person having the following qualifications has the right to be a candidate in an election of members of the House of Representatives:

(1) being of Thai nationality by birth;

(2) being not less than twenty five years of age on the election day;

(3) having graduated with not lower than a Bachelorís degree or its equivalent

except for the case of having been a member of the House of Representatives

or a senator before;

(4) being a member of any and only one political party, for a consecutive period

of not less than ninety days, up to the date of applying for candidacy in an

election.

It's too early to say what will happen.

On one hand it's a clear victory for Thaksin, he badly needs the elections. On the other hand there might be (probably are) some things left unsaid. Supreme Court president mentioned some good news that will be coming in the next few days. Good for who?

In The Nation they said that if EC is convicted on next Tuesday, it has 30 day to appeal, and if it appeals on the last day, it will be shielded by this Election decree - EC is untouchable during the election period. In the BP the Supreme Court president is quoted as saying that it will be shielded only from new charges, not the current ones.

This overlapping, by one day only, is curious to say the least.

Also the trial of TRT and Democrats won't be completed before the elections. It might be that the outcome have been privately decided already, that's why the election has been given full ahead - both parties will not be dissolved.

BP reports Thaksin won't take PM post, The Nation doesn't.

Anyhow, the set date is an important step in putting the country back on track and ending this mess. Everybody is better off with the date set.

If certain conditions are not fulfilled, however (both EC and Thaksin stay), than we haven't seen nothing yet - it will be return to pre parlament dissolution positions for all sides.

There was an interesting quote from Bangkok Bank chairman today - PM who wins with only 30% of votes but who is accepted by all parties is better (for business, I suppose) than the PM who wins with 60% but is detested by the rest.

His Majesty the King has signed the Royal Decree setting October 15 as the next general election date, but with the instruction the new poll must be free and fair, it emerged yesterday.

“The King approved the Royal Decree calling for the new election in the hope that it would bring peace to the country as quickly as possible,” said Rongpol. “The King also wants the new election to be fair and to run smoothly.”

“All sides must accept the Royal Decree, which is the best solution to the current political crisis. Democracy gives people the power to decide.”

Former opposition parties that boycotted the April 2 general election immediately announced their compliance with the Royal Decree. But they continued to be vocal in their criticism of the EC “Everyone is worried about the EC because if the current commissioners are responsible for organizing the election, then problems may continue to persist after the election,” Abhisit said.

Deputy Chat Thai leader Somsak Prissanananthakul agreed that the current EC lineup could create problems.

However, he refused to clarify whether the party wanted the whole commission to be replaced, or whether it just wanted the two vacant EC seats to be filled.

However, TRT immediately called on the Supreme Court to begin the process of finding two replacement commissioners to fill the empty seats following the death of one commissioner and the resignation of the other in May.

Thaksin said the current EC commissioners – Pol Gen Wasana Permlarp, Prinya Nakchudtree and Virachai Naewboonnien – are perfectly capable of overseeing the new election and that efforts to fill the empty seats must be expedited.

“I hope relevant organizations will rapidly appoint two new EC commissioners in time. It is now time for reconciliation on all sides,” Thaksin said.

“I think the caretaker government is open to dialogue with all sides, in compliance with His Majesty’s wishes.”

Surat Horachaikul, a political scientist at Chulalongkorn University, said it was unprecedented for His Majesty to give instructions when endorsing a Royal Decree.

Source: ThaiDay - 22 July 2006

So fair elections means to have Thaksin allow the media to report unrestricted in Isaan and all over Thailand so the truth about him can be known right? I mean that is only fair. Any less than that would be taking an unfair advantage. You would not want to vote on a lie would you?

From post #12:

"There was an interesting quote from Bangkok Bank chairman today - PM who wins with only 30% of votes but who is accepted by all parties is better (for business, I suppose) than the PM who wins with 60% but is detested by the rest."

This is always the view of the hierarchical elitists.

It can be translated as "Don't get too big for your shoes, you 60% serfs. We, your 10% eldest and best (plus our 20% bought-over middle-class lackeys) will run things best."

It is probably true that they could run things best, if only that 10% were invulnerable to the fact that power tends to corrupt.

But they are not invulnerable to the corrupting effects of power (though they will have been brought up to be quite good at avoiding that being too obvious).

The rise and fall of the various successive dynasties in China illustrates this well.

I quote someone else (I know not who), who observed:

"The evil in Man makes Democracy necessary.

Fortunately, the good in Man makes Democracy possible".

It is a long road to achieving that 'possible' though.

However, Thailand does seem to be progressing along that road better than the Western nations---it has never started a war during its journey thus far.

The outcome of the election may well be a TRT Government, with a chastened Thaksin in the background of it.

If it had received 60% of the votes that would be a far, far more substantial mandate than any European/North American Government that I can think of.

I guess then that everyone is locked into their current political party affilliation....is that right?

I would say yes on that, but what happens to the people running today in bangkok if their party goes out the door via the court?

So fair elections means to have Thaksin allow the media to report unrestricted in Isaan and all over Thailand so the truth about him can be known right? I mean that is only fair. Any less than that would be taking an unfair advantage. You would not want to vote on a lie would you?

Sorry... but media control is too crucial for Thaksin's success for him to give it free rein. It is a cornerstone of his ability to weather all the storms he has so far done:

Radio news commentator fired for calling vote on EC

Victim says politics behind his sacking

A radio news commentator on FM 96.5 was axed after he asked his audience on Friday evening to vote on whether the embattled Election Commission deserves a role in overseeing the Oct 15 election. Pichian Amnatwaraprasert, who hosted the daily programme Kao Den Praden Ron, or Hot News, on the state-owned radio station, said he was ordered to cancel the voting after about 40 minutes.

Mr Pichian said he was not told of the exact reasons, but believed political motives were behind his sacking. ''MCOT Plc executive Kematat Poldet phoned me and told me that an influential person wanted me to stop the voting immediately,'' Mr Pichian said.

More than 90% of voters said they did not want the Election Commission (EC) to hold the Oct 15 election, Mr Pichian said.

Continued here:

http://www.bangkokpost.com/News/23Jul2006_news08.php

I quote someone else (I know not who), who observed:

Democracy substitutes election by the incompetent many for appointment by the corrupt few. -

George Bernard Shaw

Democracy is a process by which the people are free to choose the man who will get the blame. -Laurence J. Peter

Democracy consists of choosing your dictators, after they've told you what you think it is you want to hear. - Alan Corenk

It is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong. - Voltaire

An honest election, under democracy, is an act of innocence which does not take place more than once in the history of a given nation. - Jose Marie Gil Robles

The one I like the most......

What you have when everyone wears the same playclothes for all occasions, is addressad by nickname, expected to participate in Show And Tell, and bullied out of any desire form privacy, is not democracy; it is kindergarten. - Judith Martin

I guess then that everyone is locked into their current political party affilliation....is that right?

I would say yes on that, but what happens to the people running today in bangkok if their party goes out the door via the court?

If you are an elected member, at least in the parliament and probably locally as well, and your party is dissolved you are allowed to join another existing party for the remainder of your term. It's of interest that TRT members have formed 2 new parties recently. If TRT is elected but the party is dissolved they just jump to the other party and continue on with business as usual. I have not heard that the Demos have formed another party but they may have worked something out with a small party in the event they are dissolved.

SJ I agree and that is why Thaksin should take what the King’s note says to heart. For Thaksin fairness seems to only apply to his opponents. That could be the next big question he wont answer and could continue the delema.

Just curious... but I thought Takky claimed Chiang Mai as his "home" and thus his constituency ... and yet he and his misfit clan vote in the Bangkok elections???

Thaksin, family cast votes in Bangkok elections

Caretaker Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra Sunday cast votes in the Bangkok Council and district council elections.

Thaksin, his wife, Pochaman Shinawatra, and three children cast votes at the Setthasathien Sachool at 10:35 am.

The Nation

2001 29,909,271 42,759,001 69.9% n/a 62,862,098 42,663,353 70.1% 2 3 Partly Free

POLL AGENCY

EC Three sticking to their guns

Secretary-general claims rock-solid support as 'only 5 million oppose us'

The secretary-general of the embattled Election Commission (EC) yesterday insisted that all three remaining commissioners would supervise the October 15 general election, despite calls for them to quit.

Ekkachai Warunprapha said the EC would definitely go ahead with its preparations to hold the polls because His Majesty the King had already approved the election date.

"Once the Royal Decree on the new election was issued, no EC commissioner was going to step down," he said.

"I think some 60 million Thais still support the EC, even though five million might not like us. Given this, we shall just listen to the majority."

THE NATION July 23 06

So ,60 MILLION Thais support the E.C. out of a population of roughly 63 million + or - :? . :D

<deleted> has he been smoking? 60 million?? :o:D:D:D

It amazes me that there is no way to get rid of these three remaining mutts that call themselves commissioners. Maybe they will get sent to jail after a court verdict. At the moment they are just giving the 'bird' to the citizens of Thailand. :D

Chief culprit. Determined to stay on regardless of the damage being done to the country.

Edited by ratcatcher

He (they) must of learned it from his (their) Buddy Thaksin. Thaksin has not figured out he will not be effective if he gets back in, and that smells of stay in at all costs or else. Yes lest hope the courts do the right thing and send them packing. I take it the 500 things they had to do are finished.

So ,60 MILLION Thais support the E.C. out of a population of roughly 63 million + or - :? . :o

<deleted> has he been smoking? 60 million??

Chief culprit. Determined to stay on regardless of the damage being done to the country.

Bangkok Herald-Examiner

Six million Pre-K Thais Fully Support The EC

Somdet Weelittleone, age 4, president of the "Pre-K's For Wattana" organization, made an impassioned plea for the embattled head of the Election Commission today. Quoting unofficial statistics that his organization consisted of 6 million pre-K students, Somdet stated his group was firmly behind Wattana during the ongoing turmoil with the EC.

Somdet stated that his group was part of the 60 million Thais that fully supported the direction that Wattana was taking the EC. When questioned by a Bangkok Herald-Examiner reporter as to why normally apolitical toddlers were getting involved in the issue, the verbose Somdet replied nonchalantly, "I go pee-pee now."

"There was an interesting quote from Bangkok Bank chairman today - PM who wins with only 30% of votes but who is accepted by all parties is better (for business, I suppose) than the PM who wins with 60% but is detested by the rest."

It can be translated as "Don't get too big for your shoes, you 60% serfs. We, your 10% eldest and best (plus our 20% bought-over middle-class lackeys) will run things best."

You read too much into it Martin. What he says is that if 60% will chose Thaksin and 40% will go on permanent Government House blocade it won't be the best solution. It won't be a solution at all, if you asked me.

Edited by Plus

Funny that folks thought that huge numbers or MPs would have left TRT 'if only they had time to switch parties.' This time around they have had time. Not much switching going on.

:o

The rules governing Local elections are totally different than those for the House of Representatives. With the House of Representatives, only people who are members of a political Party may contest the election, (and they have to have been members for 90 days prior to registering to be a candidate), with Local elections, membership of a political party is not a requirement, therefore anyone who was elected on behalf of a political party could if they so wanted change to another political party, or they could if they so decided be re-classified as an independant.

He (they) must of learned it from his (their) Buddy Thaksin. Thaksin has not figured out he will not be effective if he gets back in, and that smells of stay in at all costs or else. Yes lest hope the courts do the right thing and send them packing. I take it the 500 things they had to do are finished.

You may have noticed that there was an election today. This was organised by the Election Commission of Thailand (ECT).

They will also be responsible for endorsing all the winners, and if they find any evidence of polling fraud will be responsible for fresh elections in the constituancies in question.

Likewise there are still about 27 elected senators who have yet to be endorsed. The ECT will have to decide on whether or not to endorse these senators or hold fresh elections. Under the rules governing the election of members of the House of Representatives and Senate, the Election Commision has the power to issue either Red or Yellow cards to anyone who is found guilty of election Fraud, however in order to get a Red Card (Not allowed to be a candidate in fresh elections), the Election Commission has to vote 5/0, as this is impossible with only 3 commissioners at present, that option isn't possible.

I posted:

And 'plus' replied:

"You read too much into it Martin. What he says is that if 60% will chose Thaksin and 40% will go on permanent Government House blocade it won't be the best solution. It won't be a solution at all, if you asked me."

I agree with 'plus' that that would not be a solution. But I can't see it happening.

When it occurred this year, it started more thinking by Thais about the disjointedness of the Thailand political situation (which reflects the social situation).

(It also started the members of this forum discussing it in this thread and its 'ancestor' threads!!!)

That thinking about the disjointedness will have some effect, and a somewhat improved situation will result (though it would take a miracle for a complete solution to occur in less than a generation).

My bet would be on a 'TRT Mark2' Government emerging.

Thaksin saying that he would cede the PM role to someone else probably makes it more likely that that will be the outcome.

Although the situations are very different, there is the precedent set by Singapore, where Lee Kuan Yew voluntarily gave up the Premiership, but remained in the Cabinet as a Senior Minister.

Thailand lives in interesting times.

You read too much into it Martin. What he says is that if 60% will chose Thaksin and 40% will go on permanent Government House blocade it won't be the best solution. It won't be a solution at all, if you asked me.

It is not reasonable to think that 40% of the Thai population would "go on permanent Government House blocade." Only 1% of the Thai population would be over 600,000 people and there is much doubt as to whether the largest demonstrations have ever achieved this number of people. Even in terms of voters, 40% would represent about 10 million people....clearly an unreasonably high estimate of the number of people who would demonstate.

As to the people who *are* demonstrating: They are exercising their rights under the Thai democratic principles of law. This should not be viewed as a problem but as a sign of a citizenry that is truly free to express themselves and as an affirmation of the freedom of speech. If their physical presence causes a problem (traffic flow, litter, etc.) then a way should be found for them to continue to be heard without the unwanted side effects....it remains to be seen whether the ongoing demonstrations will be of a scale to create any serious side effects.

Finally, the banker's statement really has very little substance. He is just saying that it is better if everyone accepts the PM....then he throws some numbers on it to try to show that it has some special meaning within the context of current events.....or....on the other hand he may be like the child who says if I don't get my way then I will throw a tantrum.....if so then it is coersion plain and simple.

Edited by chownah