Thai Drivers License Help?

geminiman

I would like to get a Thai Drivers License. I have a Non-B Visa and a work permit but I have not been to my home country in years and my driver license expired 2 years ago. I have an International drivers licenses but in the fine print it says it's only valid with a valid drivers license from my home country. I don't read Thai or even speak that well. Is it possible for me to get a Thai drivers license? I have heard the new rules make it harder even for people with a valid D.L. Anyone have any experience or thoughts on this?

You can do it in English, no problem, except that it is bad English and the Test is rather difficult. google here in ThaiVisa forum, there is a link to a thread about it and with good info as well as links to the exam questions to prepare yourself. In short: No Thai needed! you need to get 45 out of 50 points on the theoretical test, which ain't easy as questions are rather "questionable" at times.

No problem but you need to sit through about five hours of a krap video and do the written test which is multiple choice on a computer. Best to do the car and bike at the same time or you'll have to do both separately.

You will first have to get a 1 year license. The requirements are in this document:http://www.pattayacityexpatsclub.com/expats/docs/thai%20license%20Checklist.pdf, page 2.

True it's the same for Thais they only get a one year license first. However when you renew to a five year license you must have a one year visa or extension or stay or you will only get another one year license.