Living part time in Thailand

lumply

What are your views on a person of a pensionable (UK) planning to do this, say for 3 months a year, solo? No interest in making it my permanent home due to other commitments elsewhere. All to their own maybe but would be interested in hearing experiences of others, past and present who have chosen this route.

I have done the circuit, short winter vacations, each getting longer, and then 2/3 of my time (not retired) working there on local stuff and also there on NY stuff with 4 RT per year. Now a few years doing like 3 or 4 months Thailand and the rest in NY, where the weather is pretty nice for 8 months, okay, maybe 7. well 6 months? But slow building economy has me here now worrying more about money, than the impending crappy weather. Still nice this week.

a double entry tourist visa may be good, but I have always done work permit and visa or retirement visa, but coming and going enough not to really need it.

Unless you have a good support system at each end, the leaving gets stressful, especially for those of us exactly 12 time zones away, can't dash back for stuff or repairs, but its still worth it. GO for it

• Like 1

It would be easy simply apply for a single entry tourist visa ( 60 days ) then extend it at immigration for 30 more for 1900 baht and you would have your 3 months. could do that every year many do and some do double entry tourist visa and get 6 months. Try it and see how you like spending the longer time here than just those on 2 week holiday. Can rent a condo or service apartment or buy one if you have the funds and decide to stay longer than 3--6 months a year, good luck.

just moved back to the west after 5 years fulltime in Thailand. Never again fulltime. 50/50, ha sip / ha sip, my wife says. perfect! just long enough to enjoy the weather, visit with the family (mil,fil,bil, allgood people)who I love dearly, my children learn both Thai and English but get the bonus of civilized living here in the west. think it will help keep me sane, and the wife enjoys working and television here (US).

so me thinks your plan is perfect. bring your wife/gf/partner with you life will be less complicated.