Your thoughts on travel to Patong

hawk24

Hello:

I and my lady friend (from Phayao) are planning to travel to different parts of Thailand. I have never been to Phukett and the hotel that I like is in the city of Patong. When I read the ThaiVisa I hear alot about incidents in the city of Patong and I am concerned about going there.

I would ask for your advice on travel to Patong and if my feelings are just emotional because of what I am reading. I know that no matter where you travel you need to be aware of your surroundings but you folks are probably better at judging the situation better than anyone.

Another reason for going to Phukett is to visit Pi Pi Island for a day.

Thank you in advance for your advice.

The City you talk of is not that big, we would call it a village in the UK. Go enjoy yourself just don't get involved in any trouble, the same as any Country, watch the tuk tuk mafia, and that's about it, There are some good beaches around not just Patong. , There are plenty of people will take you to pi pi. just look around and see what they are asking.as you would any where on Holiday

• Like 1

Your biggest risk is going to be getting ripped off by the taxi mafia. Other than that, use common sense. Don't come home late at night drunk down a dark road. Don't walk down the beach late at night alone and drunk. Most crimes seem to happen late at night in "dark" areas.

Patong has a lot of go go and beer bars. If you aren't happy with this, then this location is probably not the best for you. Depends on your views.

Getting over to Phi Phi for a day is easy. Lots of day trips on offer all over the island.

• Like 1

Phuket town is ok, but the main reason most travel to Phuket is the beaches.

the main road is torn up so traffic is really bad heading north an south or over towards Patong.

Patong is the center for nightlife an has the ONLY Beach area malls.

if ur heading over in the next 2 months its still low season so u can get great deals on hotels in Patong.

There are plenty of other beaches to visit as well.

• Like 1

Expats who live here avoid Patong, just too much hassle from various touts, taxi mafia (now very much subdued by the new gov't), drunks crawling down the sidewalks, etc. I much advise Karon or Kata just down the beach, many hotels of all types/prices and generally more enjoyable.

Avoid the tuk tuks, be careful on renting motorbike, and above all don't even think of jet-skis which are notorious for ripoff, very expensive ones. Phi Phi used to be wonderful but now just too over-run with usual cheap tourist scams. Take one of the day trips on boats going out to the smaller islands for snorkeling, lunch and sights.

• Like 2

The adult entertainment scene is definetly alive over in Patong. Smaller and friendlier than Pattaya imo, in part because of the clean beaches. Easier to have 'the girlfriend experience'. But the taxis are hella-expensive. Maybe the junta will bring some order to that. The day regular shuttles go from Patong <> Kata <> Chalong <> Big Tesco <> HomePro <> bus terminal etc will be the sign that the junta really had an effect on the island

Move to Phuket forum?

Edited by 4evermaat
  • Like 2

The adult entertainment scene is definetly alive over in Patong. Smaller and friwndlier than Pattaya imo, in part because of the clean beaches. Easier to have 'the girlfriend experience'. But the taxis are hella-expensive. Maybe the junta will bring some order to that. The day regular shuttles go from Patong <> Kata <> Chalong <> Big Tesco <> HomePro <> bus terminal etc will be the sign that the junta really had an effect on the island

Move to Phuket forum?

Though Pattaya has a bit of a better system for transport, if you go off the main routes, you're at the mercy of these guys. Would love to see a bus system like Bangkok has, along with metered taxis!

I thought I'd let this run here a bit, but agreed, time to...

Topic Move to Phuket Forum.

Well, for the umpteenth time, Bangla is not Patong - it is one street in Patong. And contrary to the advice of a previous poster, plenty of expats live in Patong and actually like the place. Let the OP make his own judgment - plenty of tourist families prefer to stay in Patong, over multiple visits.

• Like 1

Agree with Ping.....Bangla is not Patong.In Patong you can find quiet hotels,bars and good and cheap resturants if you just walk away from the Beach Road area.In my last 2 visits I didn`t venture down to Bangla once and I know several Patong expats who hasn`t been in Bangla for years.Don`t pay attention to the doomsayers ,Patong can be a lovely place thumbsup.gif !!

Agree with Ping.....Bangla is not Patong.In Patong you can find quiet hotels,bars and good and cheap resturants if you just walk away from the Beach Road area.In my last 2 visits I didn`t venture down to Bangla once and I know several Patong expats who hasn`t been in Bangla for years.Don`t pay attention to the doomsayers ,Patong can be a lovely place thumbsup.gif !!

I agree. There's so much more to Patong than Bangla Road, although, Bangla Road is Phuket's biggest tourist attraction.

Just away from "the strip" (no pun intended) are many great little bars and restaurants, and some big ones as well, and just a little further on again, you can find some nice quiet areas, but are still just a short trip to nightlife, shopping center and market/s.

If you are after variety and choice, and meeting fellow holiday makers, Patong's the place to be.

coffee1.gif Hab sheesh...first it was Patong is not Thailand, now Bangla is not Patong...so wot’s next?...the Chuff Bar is not Bangla? The Bar Stool on the left is not the Chuff Bar?...

Anyroad, to the OP, yeah come to Patong and see the real Thailand and its folk. In addition to the positives already mentioned by the valued members above, I would add that the zoo is free and unfenced. Just grab a seat and marvel at the view. blink.png

• Like 1

The beauty of Patong is there is always something to do and it is reasonably safe.

Want a burger at 2am, want to go for a lovely beach walk at 6am or just go out for an inexpensive meal in the early evening, its all there.

Western style shopping at Jung Ceylon or wander across the road to Hemingways market to have a very different experience.

Never get bored there

• Like 1

The beauty of Patong is there is always something to do and it is reasonably safe.

Want a burger at 2am, want to go for a lovely beach walk at 6am or just go out for an inexpensive meal in the early evening, its all there.

Western style shopping at Jung Ceylon or wander across the road to Hemingways market to have a very different experience.

Never get bored there

"Never get bored there" - and that's why I chose to live in Patong. :)

I love patong and spend a few weeks there every year before moving on elsewhere. Lots of fantastic eating options ranging from street food at banzaan market to decent restaurants all over. Whilst patong beach is nice if you don't plan to get in you will find its well located as a jump off point. Eg from patong you can get a longtail to other nearby beaches like freedom or banana beach. There are also plenty of other beaches in Phuket too which are only ever a taxi drive away.

Yes the taxis, tuk Tuks are expensive but I find if you avoid them and the touts you will have a great time.