Bangkok strives to become metropolis of ASEAN

Lite Beer

Bangkok strives to become metropolis of ASEAN

BANGKOK, 4 October 2014 (NNT) – The Governor of Bangkok, Mom Rajawongse Sukhumbhand Paribatra, chaired a meeting between the Bangkok Metropolitan Council (BMC) and executive members of the Bangkok Metropolitan Administration (BMA).

Speaking after the meeting, M.R. Sukhumbhand stated that both the BMC and the BMA will work in an integrated manner to bring six policies into concrete results. Towards that goal, the BMC and the BMA will set up a joint working group to ensure smooth and efficient cooperation.

The six policies aim, firstly, to promote Bangkok as the Metropolis of life-long learning. Under this policy, students should be healthy and smart both physically and mentally. They need to have a good command of English in response to the imminent ASEAN Community integration in 2015. All citizens should also be able to have access to public learning centers.

Secondly, Bangkok will be a Green Metropolis where 10 public parks will be added, covering an additional area of 5000 rai. Landscapes along major roads and the waste disposal system will be improved.

Bangkok will also be the Metropolis of Happiness with additional undergrounds and elevated train systems, as well as hospitals across Bangkok.

Bangkok will be the Metropolis of Opportunities for All, with the participation of citizens in sharing their opinions with the administration through new online channels. Elderly people will be encouraged to take part in the development of the younger generation.

Bangkok will become the Metropolis of Safety with the installation of a new solar-powered lighting system in risky areas and warning systems against natural disasters such as fires, floods and earthquakes.

Lastly, Bangkok will be the Metropolis of ASEAN as cooperation will be made between the BMA and private hospitals, as well as universities, to make Bangkok a hub of medical tourism, businesses and cultural exchanges of ASEAN.

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2014-10-05 footer_n.gif

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

"They need to have a good command of English"... => no go

"Bangkok will become the Metropolis of Safety with the installation of a new solar-powered lighting system in risky areas and warning systems against natural disasters such as fires, floods and earthquakes." What about Bangkok being the metropolis of foreigners falling off balconies?

Edited by EricBerg
  • Like 1

"Bangkok strives to become metropolis of ASEAN"

Wow....Does Superman come along with this metropolis? Why not? This is only fictional fantasy. Like every other "Hub" idea.

Edited by jaltsc
  • Like 1

Bangkok should open the world's biggest Ipanema Bar and be the hub of all things sexy

They do have one in Singapore full of Thai working girls

I think you'll find Thais are the smallest population at Ipanema

These days yes, go back 12 years and no.

Bangkok will become the Metropolis of Safety with the installation of a new solar-powered lighting system in risky areas

we got them installed on double bends near us, very nice flashing solar powered lights- that only work in the daytime when you can hardly see them, they seem to have forgotten the sun goes in at night when they need to be on!

"The six policies aim, firstly, to promote Bangkok as the Metropolis of life-long learning."

Um, well, we don't speak English but can tell foreigners how to teach it. Everyone passes, a small problem really, but that means they all are ready.

Rubbish. The other ASEAN countries know fully well how "advanced" the Thai education system is. If they jump on this bandwagon, education is farthest from their minds and money is closest to home.

Now pigs are flying, the earth is flat, and humankind originated in Thailand (and never migrated from somewhere 'foreign' and not as perfect).

HA!!!

• Like 1

Bangkok should open the world's biggest Ipanema Bar and be the hub of all things sexy

They do have one in Singapore full of Thai working girls

I think you'll find Thais are the smallest population at Ipanema

These days yes, go back 12 years and no.

I'm talking about 10 days ago. A very Vietnamese vibe

Thai Visa Forum: The Hub of Farangs Trashing Thailand. The Bangkok Governor is at least making an attempt at bettering the lives of Thais and all you get on TVF is cynicism and derogatory/negative comments.

It's called the voice of experience mate, you just have to laugh at the nonsense or it gets depressing.

Edited by jacky54
  • Like 2

Thai Visa Forum: The Hub of Farangs Trashing Thailand. The Bangkok Governor is at least making an attempt at bettering the lives of Thais and all you get on TVF is cynicism and derogatory/negative comments.

It's called the voice of experience mate, you just have to laugh at the nonsense or it gets depressing.

I agree. I liked this forum better before the sad display of incompetence of the RTP during the Koh Tao murder investigation. The posts became so repetitively negative that it was difficult to read. I can understand the cynicism and I agree with most of it but it has spilled over into every topic and become boring in its repetitiveness. The cynics are dominating every discussion. Same old same old. Nothing positive to add; nothing to spark discussion. Just trash talk. Are they so full of bile they can't write anything that is NOT negative?

• Like 2

I agree. I liked this forum better before the sad display of incompetence of the RTP during the Koh Tao murder investigation. The posts became so repetitively negative that it was difficult to read. I can understand the cynicism and I agree with most of it but it has spilled over into every topic and become boring in its repetitiveness. The cynics are dominating every discussion. Same old same old. Nothing positive to add; nothing to spark discussion. Just trash talk. Are they so full of bile they can't write anything that is NOT negative?

Truth is treason in an empire of lies.

• Like 1

Actually everything the ASEAN Community needs is in Singapore right now. Why would any Bangkok Political talking head come up with these far fetched pipe dreams to transform Bangkok into something that would never be attainable is beyond me. Where is all the money going to come from to finance all these projects. Especially for green areas? The cost of taking down multiple Skyscrapers in the city center would be prohibitive and Yes, that's where they are needed. Unless they plan on green areas on the outskirts of the City where fewpeople would venture out to. Plan on that 100 to 200 Years from now. Begin immediately, with improving the elders lives. Increase their Monthly Pension from 600 Baht to 6,000+ Baht per person. Increase the Budget for Education, so students can have enhanced knowledge of World Affairs and English skills that will enable them to pursue quality employment after graduation. 7-11 really doesn't need anymore cashiers with University Degrees in useless studies. 50% of University graduates cannot find employment in their area of education. Today's youth are Thailand's future movers and shakers. Now is the time for Prime Minister Prayuth Chan-ocha to shine. Analyze all these plans, schemes and dreams. General Sir, use your broad knowledge and Military discipline to enrich all the peoples lives through out the Kingdom. Having a Show Piece City while people still live in squalor and are dependent on family members to survive their daily lives just don't make sense. Bangkok is Bangkok. I Love it. I call it Home. However, Bangkok is not the entire kingdom. Politicians need to see the entire target and not just focus on the bull's eye. IMHO. wai2.gif

• Like 2

It seem I touched a nerve as you react as if I were talking directly to you. Well, you don't need to show me your ass again. I already know from your posts that you're are quite adept at trashing people. You, like most people don't like a mirror put in front of your ugliness. You want to see yourself as beautiful and superior to the people you put down. Unfortunately, for you, putting people down doesn't raise you up. It just makes you part of the problem.

You made a few good points in your original post.

Bangkok is indeed better than before and a lot of was done since 1999 compering to, for example, any big Canadian city where nothing was done since 1999.

However, my biggest problem with the statement such as "metropolis of ASEAN" is that Thailand simply does not care about maintenance. Once something is built it transforms to ruins in 10 years or less. It is a huge problem and it makes Bangkok look simply..... unsanitary,

• Like 2