I want the change handed back to me.

Costas2008

Same thing happens to me all the time, in all kinds of restaurants. It happened again just 2 days ago at Shabushi. I asked my wife about it, but she just puts it down to shyness. I don't buy it.

Next time I will ask the waitress directly.

• Like 1

• Replies 213
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry Costa but my experience has been more like SoiBiker

If I pay they offer me the change 90% of the time.

If she pays they sometimes offer it to me too.

Although in many cases we don't take the change anyway (if the change is less than 100 at a restaurant I don't bother with it)

If it's in Tesco or at a register like that (i.e. instead of a restaurant) it actually seems to be given to whichever one of us is closer.

There have however been instances where "my" change has been given to my girl.

In these cases she then offers it to me and I say keep it or give it to your niece.

I realise it's not the same for all of us but the exchange rate is very kind to me so I feel my fortunate position should be shared, after all what am I going to do with a big pile of satangs and 1 baht coins anyway?

Also, isn't money shared in a relationship so what's the problem?

Edited by Tuskfish
  • Like 2

I have had a simular problem with the wife. , The wife and i go out to eat together, We both order together. but a few times the waiter has brought my meal before the wife's, I sit there waiting for the wife's meal to be brought but it does not arrive i just sit and sit, waiters come up to the wife and ask is there a problem with the meal, I say yes its cold now because its bad manners to start to eat before your wife, that usually gets a few stupid looks from the Thai waiters and i make them take the meal back because its cold. Is it me .

Manners - a very subjective set of behavours - in many parts of Asia nobody waits for all the food to arrive because often people eat communally or for whatever other reason. That is a very Western thing IMHO.

• Like 1

I have had a simular problem with the wife. , The wife and i go out to eat together, We both order together. but a few times the waiter has brought my meal before the wife's, I sit there waiting for the wife's meal to be brought but it does not arrive i just sit and sit, waiters come up to the wife and ask is there a problem with the meal, I say yes its cold now because its bad manners to start to eat before your wife, that usually gets a few stupid looks from the Thai waiters and i make them take the meal back because its cold. Is it me .

Manners - a very subjective set of behavours - in many parts of Asia nobody waits for all the food to arrive because often people eat communally or for whatever other reason. That is a very Western thing IMHO.

I tend to agree here, while sometimes sharing MrJohnson frustration also.

Generally we end up sharing 3 plates between the two of us to avoid this problem (and also the problem of small servings here!!)

I tend to agree here, while sometimes sharing MrJohnson frustration also.

Generally we end up sharing 3 plates between the two of us to avoid this problem (and also the problem of small servings here!!)

I prefer the communal ordering thing anyway. You get to try more dishes.

• Like 2

No idea what you're talking about. Learn Thai, fit in and all gonna be fine...

Btw. if something like this was my biggest problem to an extend that I would waste other people's time discussing it, I'd call it bliss. By looking at your post - If I would load my worries and responsibilities and problems on your shoulder, you would die by instant shock my friend! Grow up!

• Like 2

Same thing happens to me all the time, in all kinds of restaurants. It happened again just 2 days ago at Shabushi. I asked my wife about it, but she just puts it down to shyness. I don't buy it.

Next time I will ask the waitress directly.

lo! ask the person who is so shy of you she hands the change to your wife!!! that should get you the right answer!! lol

Costas, try his

Bill comes and is handed to your wife ... she checks the bill and then passes it to you ... you ask her something in English about the bill and she replies in English (or Thai)... you pass the bill back to her and she pays ... when the change goes back to her she then hands it to you. wink.png

then where does the opportunity for outrage fit in?

I see no comments on being outraged in the OP, he is just commentating on his experiences with changed being handed back. Whatever happened to free speech?.

its alive and well and i'm taking advantage of that fact. he posts in a public forum and he can expect comments from the general public. what a surprise!

I don't care who gets the bill, who pays, or who gets the change.

However when going out to eat 9 times out of 10 the bill is padded. My wife reads every bill like an eagle, Either it is that something appeared on the table that was not ordered, but charged for, or that was ordered and never appeared, or that 2 bottles Heineken charged, not one. And that is invariably with Thai people eating. Was in the hospital the other day. Charged twice for my zimmer frame. Wife laughed and said: "They think you look so old they probably thought you needed one for each leg".

• Like 1

Costas, try his

Bill comes and is handed to your wife ... she checks the bill and then passes it to you ... you ask her something in English about the bill and she replies in English (or Thai)... you pass the bill back to her and she pays ... when the change goes back to her she then hands it to you. wink.png

That will be very difficult...........I pay, she keeps the change.sad.png

That's one of the reasons "I want the change handed back to me"

• Like 2

Do you speak Thai? Maybe they think if you can't speak, you can't count either? Not an unreasonable conclusion, but I am not sure that waitresses are known to be of the highest intellectual offerings from any country… and here, they don't even expect a tip… if this happened to me, I doubt I would even notice… but surely would not be offended by it.

Bring your 15 yr old to the dentist - maybe they will drill his teeth instead.

• Like 2

Costas, try his

That will be very difficult...........I pay, she keeps the change.sad.png

That's one of the reasons "I want the change handed back to me"

that last line speaks volumes.

• Like 1

We don't exist here, we are merely coming to life when with other Thai whom act as validation.

Today I went to complain because my moban is not providing me with the same bus service as Thai people.

The officer had to call my landlord, and talk to it about it. He does not know much about it but he's my Thai representative.

Also many people jump queues in front of me... I don't exist...

"Today I went to complain because my moban is not providing me with the same bus service as Thai people." ... that is really strange and, to be honest, I don't really understand how that could happen.

Could you explain some more please?

Easily explained. he looks out the window and see the rotmair picking up people. So he goes outside to catch the rotmair and he has to wait 30 minutes to an hour. Why are the other people picked up immediately and he has to wait ?

• Like 1

Easily explained. he looks out the window and see the rotmair picking up people. So he goes outside to catch the rotmair and he has to wait 30 minutes to an hour. Why are the other people picked up immediately and he has to wait ?

Because the guy's having his lunch?

It happened quite frequently when I first came but at 7/11 I no longer stand in line with my wife. The restaurants now see me as an individual and not as an extension of my wife. I now speak some Thai and have been very generous and friendly with the waitresses.

I think some service staff are afraid of confrontations with foreigners over the change as they have probably had some confrontations in the past. If they do not know you they may believe you do not understand the Thai currency system. The service staff do not speak English or other languages well so they give the change to someone whom they can understand if there is any dispute.

Moral of the story. Learn enough Thai to converse about simple things. Do not rely on the wife so much. Get out there on your own sometimes. You won't believe how good it is for you.

Pom kowjai baht. Pom rue ni OK. OR pom rue ni mae di.

Do you ever have it happen to you that you go to shop, for example a coffee shop, and you order in Thai, receive your order, and then they stick a calculator in your face with the amount you owe. I feel like saying, "you should have sign in here explaining that you are mute"

• Like 1

Jumping line.... we do not exist, that is pure bullshit from people that dont understand a shit about their surroundings... Havent you noticed..... They jump the line on their own as much as they do it on us...... THEY DO NOT HAVE LINES/QUES HERE IN THAILAND.,....

Glegolo.

Go to any bank or Post Office & you will find a queuing system, you go to a machine, press a button, take a number ticket, then sit & wait for your number to be called. Thai's KNOW about this system & use it accordingly, they don't go around asking to change tickets with other people. All other types of queue jumping is just pure ignorance from the Thai's....maybe one day they will learn manners, but I can't see that happening while I'm still breathing

Do you ever have it happen to you that you go to shop, for example a coffee shop, and you order in Thai, receive your order, and then they stick a calculator in your face with the amount you owe. I feel like saying, "you should have sign in here explaining that you are mute"

how awful!! god I'm glad that never happened to me. I dont know if I could take it!

I've never had this happen to me but I would guess that very often Thai are embarrassed at the thought of trying to communicate with farangs so they avoid it by going to the less threatening situation which would be dealing with a woman or child etc. I have this issue at work. Many people who I have worked with for three years are still too embarrassed to try to communicate with me in English or Thai.

• Like 2