Thailand's NRC members set tone for reforms

webfact

NRC members set tone for reforms
The Nation

30244905-01_big.jpg
Rosana

Range of ideas proposed for bringing about changes in key aspects of the country's politics and economy

BANGKOK: -- Members of the 250-strong National Reform Council yesterday vowed to perform their new jobs in earnest and suggested ideas for reforming the country in the areas of their responsibility.

The list of 250 NRC members was published in the Royal Gazette yesterday, following endorsement by His Majesty the King.

Although the council members are from many groups of people, many of them are viewed as critics and opponents of "the old power clique" led by former prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra.

Seree Suwanpanont, an NRC member for legal and justice system reform, said the council should focus on political reform and corruption problems should be solved as soon as possible. There is a wide range of reforms to be discussed and the corruption problem is the crux of political issues. "For the impeachment case, the judiciary should have the authority to impeach politicians and other agencies should not intervene in the case," he said.

The constitution that will come out shortly should state its authority and other agencies clearly, he said.

NRC member Prasan Marueka-pitak said national reform should happen continuously, and the NRC's work is to analyse and point out solutions to the problems. "Some problems cannot be resolved only by the NRC. Other state agencies should be able to carry out the NRC's policies and find solutions to the problems," he said.

Former senator Wanchai Sornsiri, who is also viewed as a Thaksin critic, said he would focus on creating an efficient scrutiny mechanism to prevent corruption and abuse of power.

Hannarong Yaowalers, an environmental activist and NRC member, said the urgent task for the council would be improving regulations that give more right to public engagement over natural resources management.

Forest management should be amended by making long-time local residents join state officials in a committee on forest preservation. Joint cooperation would help tackle land encroachment issues, he said.

Another imminent task would be pushing for a water management law to increase the responsibilities of state officials in helping locals affected by flooding or drought, he said.

As for economic affairs, many experts in various areas such as legal consulting, banking, brokerage and media were named as NRC members.

Kitipong Urapeepatanapong, chairman of Baker & McKenzie, who was nominated by the Thai Chamber of Commerce, said his idea is to reform the country's tax system. It has to support the country's growth and also ensure fairness for all parties in society. He is an expert in capital and business law and has worked for more than 30 years in law firms.

Twatchai Yongkittikul, secretary-general of the Thai Bankers' Association, said the urgent issue needing reform was manufacturing, as the nation was losing competitiveness. The NRC members would focus on improving agricultural processing.

He also intends to help reform the country's education system, as this could help improve the economy in the long run.

Paiboon Nalinthrangkurn, chairman of the Federation of Thai Capital Market Organisations, said he would focus on reforming the capital market and push for the country's master plan in a bid to pave the way for the next elected government.

Nipon Naksompop, president of the Satellite Television Association of Thailand, said he would put three issues as first priorities. First is that the media and press should maintain their credibility and accountability in the public interest. Second, the industry and the regulator should promote co-regulation in each segment. Last, all parties would be encouraged to put more emphasis on the code of ethics.

The NRC list includes a dozen people in the energy circle, but, except for Rosana Tositrakul, a former senator who has expressed her fierce stance against PTT, most members apparently belong to the status quo.

Other NRC energy members are Manoon Siriwan, a well-known energy critic; Anusorn Sengnimnuan, a former president of Bangchak Petroleum; Kurujit Nakornthap, director-general of the Energy Ministry's Mineral Fuels Department and a new board member of PTT; Jane Namchaisiri, vice chairman of the Federation of Thai Industries; Dusit Kruangam, managing director of the Thai Photovoltaic Association: Thongchat Hongladarom, a former chief executive of PTT; Praipol Koomsup, a Thammasat economist who was recently appointed as an adviser to Energy Minister Narongchai Akrasanee; Siri Jirapongphan, executive director of the Petroleum Institute of Thailand; and Anon Sirisaengtaksin, a former chief executive of PTT Global Chemical. Siri said he does not have "an agenda" for reform but thinks energy security and sustainability are crucial elements for the Thai economy, which cannot be achieved without stressing efficiency in every aspect - from energy consumption to production and procurement.

Dusit Krua-ngam, a solar power expert, was named as an NRC member to help shape the nation's energy reform. This would be an opportunity to share ideas and information, especially on alternative energy development, which the country would go with. He is also a brother of Wissanu, the deputy prime minister in charge of legal affairs.

Tasks for the Council

_ The 250-member National Reform Council has the job of studying and making recommendations for reform in 11 areas to the National Legislative Assembly, the Cabinet and the National Council for Peace and Order.

_ It also is required under the provisional charter to give input to the Constitutional Drafting Committee for its writing of a new constitution. The NRC will then consider whether to approve the draft charter before submitting it for royal endorsement.

_ The NRC is empowered to nominate 20 out of the 36 CDC members, while the remainder will be nominated by the NCPO, the Cabinet and the NLA. The CDC must be established within 15 days after the NRC convenes its first meeting.

_ Within 60 days of its first meeting, the NRC has to submit its comments and suggestions about reforms to the CDC, which has 120 days to write a new constitution. In all, a new constitution is expected within 295 days after the NRC convenes.

_ The draft charter will be submitted to the NRC, which has to decide whether to endorse or adjust it. If the NRC fails to finish its deliberation on the draft charter within the given time or does not approve the draft, the council and the CDC "shall expire", according to the interim charter. If that is the case, a new NRC and CDC will be appointed to complete the job.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/politics/NRC-members-set-tone-for-reforms-30244905.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2014-10-07

Daja’ vu

Who is representing the outer towners. The majority of the population?

So the judicial system is to become more political? Do they mean corruption in the decisions of the courts?

At the end of the day does the top down approach remain? Bangkok is to control everything?

Window dressers?

• Like 2

I didn't see anything about transparency in government spending; full disclosure of assets and business interests by all people in government who have any influence on spending, laws with stiff penalties for conflicts of interest, and open competitive bidding on all government contracts. The kind of rules that would eliminate backroom deals to reward supporters and line pockets.

• Like 2

Daja’ vu

Who is representing the outer towners. The majority of the population?

So the judicial system is to become more political? Do they mean corruption in the decisions of the courts?

At the end of the day does the top down approach remain? Bangkok is to control everything?

Window dressers?

Well, as lots of people seem to see the UDD / red-shirts as representative for outer towners and with the UDD / red-shirts having refused to co-operate, it would seem the NRC will have to really go out of its way to try to get input from those 'outer towners'. That's assuming the UDD / red-shirts will only passively 'refuse to co-operate'.

I didn't see anything about transparency in government spending; full disclosure of assets and business interests by all people in government who have any influence on spending, laws with stiff penalties for conflicts of interest, and open competitive bidding on all government contracts. The kind of rules that would eliminate backroom deals to reward supporters and line pockets.

You didn't see anything because the NRC committees still have to work on it.

The NRC members have all passed the "nod" test and their only job is to approve all of the "PM's" initiatives. Nay votes will be seen as an attempt to cause "divisions in society." We all know what that will get you.

Nice vision, my dear chaser.

Its almost as if I hear you say that the UDD / red-shirts refused to be part of the NRC and committees as they don't know how to 'nod'. Strange, somehow that seems essential for those, what with Thaksin thinks and Pheu Thai acts and UDD protests.

"Although the council members are from many groups of people, many of them are viewed as critics and opponents of "the old power clique" led by former prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra."

Tjeez, many groups of people have many critics of Thaksin and his clique? And some posters take this article as the gospel ?

Amazing posters wink.png

"Although the council members are from many groups of people, many of them are viewed as critics and opponents of "the old power clique" led by former prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra."

Tjeez, many groups of people have many critics of Thaksin and his clique? And some posters take this article as the gospel ?

Amazing posters wink.png

On another thread you're defending Prayuth from the need to declare assets, on this thread you're confident it will be part of the NRA reforms. Take a stand rubl, are you for or against transparency?

Going to be great fun to hear about all their new "ideas".

If their ideas are just as silly as the latest "tourist wristbands" and "police being paid to not take bribes" ideas, then we can all look forward to some great future laughs.

For sure has been some funny days lately.

Amazing posters wink.png

Is this attack of the verbals permanent or just temporary? Let some other sucker get a word in you gob.....

On another thread you're defending Prayuth from the need to declare assets, on this thread you're confident it will be part of the NRA reforms. Take a stand rubl, are you for or against transparency?

Oh, I don't know, I think it's perfectly transparent what rubl is doing........................

• Like 1

Isnt it great how some can come out and have a kick at things that haven't even happened yet.

Would possibly be best to let these people get together in their designated groups and see what they come up with before having a go at what they haven't produced as yet.

As for Thaksin critics being in there it must have been difficult to get a balance when PTP and the reds refused to take part.

Even then there are reps from each province and as the red supporters tell us that the majority of north and northeast provinces vote PTP then it stands to reason that there must be at least those nominated from those provinces in there who are Thaksin supporters.

I suppose that one of the rules being that none of the NRC members are allowed to take part in politics in the future would have put some of from wanting to join, could also have kept out riff raff with delusions of grandeur or wealth at the expense of the country.

That they do, but I don't think the junta wanted it to be quite so obvious as to what kind of tone was being set.

The relationship between the NRC, CDC, NCPO, the cabinet and the NLA is best represented diagrammatically, thus;

CfkPO.png

Oh, I don't know, I think it's perfectly transparent what rubl is doing........................

You really have nothing to say anymore lately.

Isnt it great how some can come out and have a kick at things that haven't even happened yet.

Would possibly be best to let these people get together in their designated groups and see what they come up with before having a go at what they haven't produced as yet.

As for Thaksin critics being in there it must have been difficult to get a balance when PTP and the reds refused to take part.

Even then there are reps from each province and as the red supporters tell us that the majority of north and northeast provinces vote PTP then it stands to reason that there must be at least those nominated from those provinces in there who are Thaksin supporters.

I suppose that one of the rules being that none of the NRC members are allowed to take part in politics in the future would have put some of from wanting to join, could also have kept out riff raff with delusions of grandeur or wealth at the expense of the country.

PT and the reds aren't taking part because they don't want reform. They prefer the same old corrupt system.

"Isnt it great how some can come out and have a kick at things that haven't even happened yet."

I know what you mean. There are some people so upset about the possibility of an amnesty bill being revived six months after it was dropped that they use it as justification for a military coup.

However in the case of asset declaration and transparency in general, I find their absence from the list of things the NRC wants to address to be a concern. Transparency is critical in fighting corruption (cockroaches don't like the light), but there are inexplicably wealthy people in government and the military who don't like it. http://www.nationmultimedia.com/politics/Nine-NLA-members-opposed-to-asset-disclosure-worth-30244758.html

Edited by heybruce

The truth will set you free, which might mean there may still be hope for you guys if you stop with the insinuations and distractions.
As for Brucy stating
- I defended PM Prayut from the need to declare assets. Well, show me where did I do that.
- confident 'asset declarations part of reform'. Yes, since already the NLA and cabinet did so.
- I'm all for transparency, independent audit committees, politicians who take responsibility and accountability as serious as the laws which makes them abide.
- I can only hope reforms of this kind will be ready in time for 'democracy'. To ask the NLA to adhere to non existing laws or laws which didn't help in the past makes you even a bit more of a dreamer than I sometimes am. To ask the current lot to behave as if they are democratic seems a bit hilarious.
As for my dear fabs
- its transparent you don't agree with me and will do anything you may possibly get away with to diminish, to ridicule, to obfuscate, to accuse and to insult in order to put doubt in other peoples mind.

Amazing posters wink.png

Is this attack of the verbals permanent or just temporary? Let some other sucker get a word in you gob.....

Oh come on, my dear jes imps.

Are you really complaining I write too many posts ? Do you suggest on my own writing these posts I stage something like a DoS attack making it impossible for other posters to post anything. Or are you suggesting you're annoyed you didn't get in your 7-1/2 cents before I did ?

"Isnt it great how some can come out and have a kick at things that haven't even happened yet."

I know what you mean. There are some people so upset about the possibility of an amnesty bill being revived six months after it was dropped that they use it as justification for a military coup.

However in the case of asset declaration and transparency in general, I find their absence from the list of things the NRC wants to address to be a concern. Transparency is critical in fighting corruption (cockroaches don't like the light), but there are inexplicably wealthy people in government and the military who don't like it. http://www.nationmultimedia.com/politics/Nine-NLA-members-opposed-to-asset-disclosure-worth-30244758.html

Some are only upset that there are those who refuse to accept that the 'blanket amnesty bill' wasn't dropped, but return to parliament to lay untouched for 180 days after which any government could pick it up and vote on it.

Anyway, the 'inexplicably wealthy people' as you mention have declared assets and the NACC published those. No one was asked to explain how come they have these assets, so no answer. The only person who may be asked by the NACC is that former Senator who has done the asset declaration at least two times already and for whom the NACC can compare the differences. For the ones who now first time had to declare assets the NACC will do some checks on the completeness. Of course if truth loving people tell the NACC about hidden assets, the NACC will definitively take up the case,knowing the NLA has the power to impeach their own members.

That they do, but I don't think the junta wanted it to be quite so obvious as to what kind of tone was being set.

The relationship between the NRC, CDC, NCPO, the cabinet and the NLA is best represented diagrammatically, thus;

CfkPO.png

Tjeez, do you guys ever manage to agree on a single story rather than conflicting ones?

If the NLA is a slavish puppet group and the NRC and CDC not much better, and cabinet not much good either (as you seem to suggest), maybe more like

NCPO - HEAD --------\
    C  N  N  -  C  -  P  -     Courts
    D  R  L     A     M        NACC
    C  C  A     B              The People

CfkPO.png

Tjeez, do you guys ever manage to agree on a single story rather than conflicting ones?

If the NLA is a slavish puppet group and the NRC and CDC not much better, and cabinet not much good either (as you seem to suggest), maybe more like

NCPO - HEAD --------\

I take it you have a problem with understanding what a circular relationship is.

CfkPO.png

NCPO - HEAD --------\

I take it you have a problem with understanding what a circular relationship is.

I have a problem trying to map a circular relation unto what some described as a slavish construction with 'commands' going downwards only.