Thai PM fears 'undercurrents' of unrest would jeopardise peace if martial law lifted

webfact

PM fears 'undercurrents' of unrest would jeopardise peace if martial law lifted
The Nation

BANGKOK: -- Prime Minister Prayut Chan-o-cha said yesterday he was considering lifting martial law but was concerned that undercurrents of political unrest still exist.

"You [the people] need to help me. If you ask me to lift martial law who will take responsibility if anything happens or the reform process fails?" he said. "It would be me who has to take the sole responsibility."

He said he realised martial law was not in keeping with democracy in the eyes of the international community, but he needed to put the country first and protect the public.

Asked if he would consider talking to the political parties, he replied: "Why do I have to talk with them? They need to follow the law like everyone."

The premier will chair a joint meeting of the Cabinet and the National Council for Peace and Order today to review their tasks.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/politics/PM-fears-undercurrents-of-unrest-would-jeopardise--30244904.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2014-10-07

PM says martial to remain in effect due to persistence of unfavourable activities

BANGKOK, 7 October 2014 (NNT) – Prime Minister Prayut Chan-o-cha asserted martial law will remain in effect due to the fact that political movements still persist.

According to General Prayut, martial law needs to be kept in place to prevent mishaps that may be perpetrated if martial law is not in place. He said that in such event, he would have to take responsibility as head of the National Council for Peace and Order. He added that his coming to office had no hidden agendas, and asked for the public to give him moral support, and allow him time to do his work.

On the same day, Army Chief Udomdet Sitabutr said the military needed to keep martial law in effect in order for it to oversee the situation in the nation at present. The military must have full confidence that situations can be handled before lifting martial law.

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2014-10-07 footer_n.gif

• Like 1

And of course this has no affect on tour groups during the high season (travel insurance).

I'm still betting that large investments like VW are struggling with their lawyers right now to go ahead. After all - corporate legal isn't very prone to optimism or future promises.

Now let's see how his younger brother managed to become so outrageously wealthy for someone who is a soldier.

It would be nice to see how (legally) a poor country country person can be exempted from the "honest mistake" of putting a lot of his assets into the names of his families servants and get even more wealthy.

Look, if the PM can make the Thai bureaucracy do a complete 180, then I am for it. Corruption and nepotism, runs so deep in this part of the world. I have never heard of a benevolent dictator, but this old guy got some balls if he thinks he can be one.

Democracy may not be the most efficient way of governing, but everyone should have a voice and a platform to voice their grievances. Some of the recent moves by the gov have troubled me. Even the beach-side vendors, jet ski mafia and other sidewalk market vendors, as much as we may dislike them, deserve to be heard and represented in any government. Undocumented workers and expats all deserve a spot at the table if Thailand is going to the 'hub of ASEAN.'

Edited by MikeThaison

We should have access to CVs of these Thai military folks and there should be full disclosure of assets. The general is correct to maintain martial law. Keep the Thais obedient and quiet so that they stay in their place.

What about the CVs of the Thai police folks and shouldn't there be full disclosure of assets.?

I still think he is doing a good job. But he knows like everyone else that the old guard on both sides now has time to develop new strategies to return to their idea of status quo. Until there are constitutional changes in place that at least limit the past levels of corruption there will indeed be undercurrents. Agree with him, the country is not ready yet for a lifting if martial law.

If things are so bad in Thailand that Martial law cannot be successfully lifted then you are indeed in big trouble, because eventually you will have to lift this draconian law to find what--- nothing has changed , what then was the whole purpose of this coup, if it was a misguided notion that it would bring Thailand together , who was the donkey who thought of that, everyone jumped the gun, you see nothing has changed, except the faces, the deck chairs on the Thaitanic are still in the same position, all the players are in the wings waiting and wait they will, till the right time and the right place, Thailand , as I have stated many times , has big problems and that is what happens when one person can divide a nation , it causes untold damage, but then again if the top end of town had treated the country people with more respect this might not have happened , so ask yourselves who is to blame.coffee1.gif

They already passed a law that states protests can only be one day affairs in Bangkok - 9-5, so the provinces have already been denied the ability to protest in the capital. Literally, it means Suthep can do it again, but no one else can.

"Asked if he would consider talking to the political parties, he replied: "Why do I have to talk with them? They need to follow the law like everyone."

Ok. No problem. Mai pen rai. None of these disenfranchised people will complain, ever.

• Like 2

I am the King of the Castle so why should I talk to the Serfs.

It seems to me that this particular King of the Castle is not as comfortable as he would wish to be if he is worried about lifting Marshal law. All those televised addresses for Happy Thailand may not be working too well after all?

And democracy will never come about without discussion with other people and parties.

• Like 1