Xmas in the city

SidJames

I have family coming over from the UK & we'll be in the city doing the tourist sights for 3/4 days over the christmas.

We'll be a mix of children & adults so I'm looking for suggestions for a slap-up traditional xmas lunch/dinner (Queen's speech optional) & a few tips on thing to see & do.

I know it's early but I'm now in the process of booking hotels & getting some kind of loose itinerary planned so many thanks for any advice

The buffet at the Grand Hayatt Erawan is spectacular for either Christmas eve or New Years Eve. It is expensive but if your family includes moderate to big eaters it could be worth it. The added value are the memories that such a feast begets.

The variety and the presentation is magnificent and you will find everything from traditional xmas dinner to local thai to sushi and a mind boggling array of deserts.

Edited by pmarlowe
  • Like 1

If your home is suitable...do it there. Foodland do seriously good ham on the bone and their turkeys are also pretty good. You order and pay a deposit in advance and tell them what time /day you will collect. Foil wrapped and warm...head back home and serve. I'd recommend your own stuffing using pork mince etc...their stuffing is a bit bland..

Followed by chartering a long-tail boat from outside the River City Mall (next to Sheraton Orchid Hotel) and head down the river and turn into the back klongs. Always an eye-opener to see klong-life for tourists.

If you're here for NY's Eve then it's also recommended to pack some booze into ice boxes, bring food and also rent a boat......position the boat outside the Oriental / Hilton for the most spectacular fireworks as they rise above you.

Best Christmas dinner in Bangkok I've had personally, with the kids, was at the Raintree cafe at the Plaza Athenee, but that was three years ago, and it gets booked up fairly early (In case you're wondering about why it was 3 years ago, I didn't book early enough two years ago, and last year we were in London - and I cooked the turkey myself.).

Best Christmas and New Year buffet I have seen is at the Marriott on Soi 2, Sukhumvit Rd.

Beats the Erawan Hotel all to heck!

For Christmas displays don't miss Central World.

Plenty of photo taking, displays, mime people, costumes of all kinds, singing, and beer gardens.

Each night it is different as things change.

Paragon Center is another good place.

Only a short walk from Central World.

• 4 weeks later...

Best Christmas dinner in Bangkok I've had personally, with the kids, was at the Raintree cafe at the Plaza Athenee, but that was three years ago, and it gets booked up fairly early (In case you're wondering about why it was 3 years ago, I didn't book early enough two years ago, and last year we were in London - and I cooked the turkey myself.).

I emailed the Raintree but they want 3600baht a head.

We have 5 children & I can't see us getting value of any sort at that price bacause the nippers just won't be indulging that mush

• 4 weeks later...

I was in Bangkok for Christmas a few years ago and I was surprised by the decorations. It's a nice vibe and almost seemed more merry than back home.

I must say ''Edinburgh and London'' are looking beautiful with all the Christmas Decorations and just the General Vibe...

and of course, the Cold weather helps with the Christmas Spirit.....

I was in Bangkok for Christmas a few years ago and I was surprised by the decorations. It's a nice vibe and almost seemed more merry than back home.

I must say ''Edinburgh and London'' are looking beautiful with all the Christmas Decorations and just the General Vibe...

and of course, the Cold weather helps with the Christmas Spirit.....

Yes London looks good. But maybe it's having to go to work every day which makes it miserable. 5555

Sheraton on suk soi 15- great xmas buffet lunch- also choir singers singing carols, father xmas, plus American live jazz band to end..

"...also choir singers singing carols, father xmas, plus American live jazz band to end.."

He's looking for somewhere for him and his family to enjoy themselves...

Sheraton on suk soi 15- great xmas buffet lunch- also choir singers singing carols, father xmas, plus American live jazz band to end..

They are just doing a 350baht turkey lunch this year it seems.

The best that I have seen so far without being wallet-raped is the Huntsman pub at the Landmark who are doing a Christmas brunch for 1600baht an adult & 800 for children with balloon twisting & a santa givaway.

Has anyone got any other suggestions that aren't in the 3k+ region

• Like 1

They are just doing a 350baht turkey lunch this year it seems.

The best that I have seen so far without being wallet-raped is the Huntsman pub at the Landmark who are doing a Christmas brunch for 1600baht an adult & 800 for children with balloon twisting & a santa givaway.

Has anyone got any other suggestions that aren't in the 3k+ region

No. It's full on buffet 3000 ++baht without alcohol 3700 with free flow.

I emailed the Sheraton & this was their reply to me:

Sukhumvit15, GSC <[email protected]>

Dear sir,

Greeting from Four Points by Sheraton Bangkok,

Thank you for your interest in our Christmas meal.

Please let me inform you from this e-mail.

On this Christmas, we do not have Christmas lunch or dinner set.

However, we have a special platter of delicious roast turkey! Only 350THB!

A

I emailed the Sheraton & this was their reply to me:

Sukhumvit15, GSC <[email protected]>

Dear sir,

Greeting from Four Points by Sheraton Bangkok,

Thank you for your interest in our Christmas meal.

Please let me inform you from this e-mail.

On this Christmas, we do not have Christmas lunch or dinner set.

However, we have a special platter of delicious roast turkey! Only 350THB!

The four points is the budget chain of Sheraton hotels. I am talking about grande Sheraton on sukhumvit soi 15. 350baht for Turkey lunch sounds like great value though. Edited by ExpatJ